PDA

View Full Version : Took the girl shooting for her first time

USMC0351
01-11-09, 14:22
On new years day, I took my girl shooting for the first time. Went to a free public range. I took my Springer GI .45, Bushy M4 and my DPMS/M1S "sniper rifle". She loved it, especially my DPMS, cause it has a 10-40x scope and she could see where she shot. I taught her how to field strip the ARs and load mags, and how to clear jams. I think she shot more ammo than I did. Together, we shot about 400 .223 and 200 .45. Great day.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/PC310048.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/PC310057.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/PC310060.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/PC310050.jpg

SW-Shooter
01-11-09, 14:33
That's awesome, but is fuzzy (slippery) gloves really a good idea? Get her some gloves that offer a more positive grip on those shooters.;)

USMC0351
01-11-09, 14:35
That's awesome, but is fuzzy (slippery) gloves really a good idea? Get her some gloves that offer a more positive grip on those shooters.;)

She was cold and thats what she had. She handled all the guns very well.

M4arc
01-11-09, 14:36
I love those gloves!

Good on you for taking her shooting.

zippygaloo
01-11-09, 14:40
delete

USMC0351
01-11-09, 14:44
Cold? What part of the USA?

North Georgia. I'm from Florida so i froze my ass off. I wish I had a picture of her shooting this one, but it was her favorite

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/SANY0155.jpg

woodandsteel
01-11-09, 15:04
Shucks! Based on your titile I was hoping this was a thread about taking your daughter shooting. I am looking forward to taking my oldest out in a year or two. She is only five now, and I was looking for some advice. My wife wants to get her a Cricket for her first rifle. I would rather get her the CZ Youth model.

BTW, Good for you for taking her out to the range. The more people who take up the sport of shooting, the better.

I actually like the fur gloves and coat. It's bound to tick off a liberal.

USMC0351
01-11-09, 16:31
Shucks! Based on your titile I was hoping this was a thread about taking your daughter shooting. I am looking forward to taking my oldest out in a year or two. She is only five now, and I was looking for some advice. My wife wants to get her a Cricket for her first rifle. I would rather get her the CZ Youth model.

BTW, Good for you for taking her out to the range. The more people who take up the sport of shooting, the better.

I actually like the fur gloves and coat. It's bound to tick off a liberal.

Well when I was 5 and my sister was 7, my dad taught us to shoot with his 10/22 and H&R .410 single shot. By the time I was 9, I was blasting away with his Mak90s and SKSs. I think both the Cricket and CZ would be great. I'm not sure but I think the Cricket is a bit smaller so she might grow out of it quicker. When I have kids, I plan on using the same guns my father taught us with.

woodandsteel
01-11-09, 16:40
I agree with you on the Cricket. I think a rifle like a 10/22, is something a youngster can grow into.

My first rifle to shoot was my grandfather's .22 savage. It was a bolt action that resembled an '03 Springfield. Although big, it was my favorite gun to shoot.

I want her to remember her first rifle like I do. Plus, I would like for her to continue shooting it.

SeriousStudent
01-11-09, 16:56
Good for you! I am glad you are teaching her a fun hobby in a safe way. :)

And if her friends ever ask her, she has a great retort for them ..... "Oh sure, I shoot AR's and 1911's and they are FUN! If your boyfriends had any class they would buy you guns too!"

My ex used to carry a full-size steel 1911 for her CCW piece. It was funny to some guys, because so many women shoot a 1911 so well. They expect to see a little J-frame. And frankly, my little 642 is the toughest gun to shoot well that I own. I like to start women with a .22, then switch them over to either a full-size 9mm or .45.

And thank you for your service to our country!

CarlosDJackal
01-11-09, 21:47
The gloves are classic!! :)

My only question is how come nobody had any eye protection on? I've personally experienced and witness multiple instances when eye protection made the difference between damage to the eye or the glasses. To include one where a friend of mine had a gun blow up that resulted in some shrapnel embedding themselves into his cheek, forehead, and right eyeglass lense.

Teach her good habits from the get-go and you can avoid the regret that goes with a permanent eye injury. JM2CW.

bkb0000
01-12-09, 01:09
My only question is how come nobody had any eye protection on?

specs fog up in the cold.. i never wear em if its cold out. add a hard drill, and there's no spec on the planet that wont steam up. IME

BAC
01-12-09, 01:46
I guess it's a cold thing, because I've never got shooting glasses to fog up down hear in lovely Florida. Did you know it was almost hot enough for sun-burns today? :D

-B

Sam
01-12-09, 05:32
North Georgia. I'm from Florida so i froze my ass off. I wish I had a picture of her shooting this one, but it was her favorite

Wildlife Management range near Gainesville?

As for eye protection fogging up, I've never had that problem shooting in 20 - 30 degrees weather in Georgia with shooting glasses or prescription glasses. Eyesight is not something to disregard.