PDA

View Full Version : 37"+ LCD or Plasma Recommendations

SHIVAN
01-11-09, 15:15
I'd like to hear your personal experiences with your TV set. 37" or bigger, LCD or Plasma only. Also please state your digital sources, like DirecTV, Fios, HD Cable, etc.

Would prefer to hear about 1080p or better, but will entertain "value buys" in 720p, etc.

This will be for my parents' family room, and I am trying to help my mom balance value for features.

Thanks!

GRP
01-11-09, 15:22
In that size, I'm a fan of Vizio. Check Sam's club or Costco for the best price.
(although Costco has the best return policy)

Buckaroo
01-11-09, 15:33
Personally I would avoid Visio. They are constantly in Sam's in the discount area after being repaired. More Visio's there than all the other brands combined from my experience.

My brother bought a Sony and has been really happy.

If you have any light behind your seating area I would suggest LCD as the plasmas have glass fronts that reflect light very easily.

Buckaroo

hatt
01-11-09, 15:57
In that size, I'm a fan of Vizio. Check Sam's club or Costco for the best price.
(although Costco has the best return policy)

Hard to beat a Vizio for price and performance. An easy choice over the other low priced brands.

Sams has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I've been over this with the guys at Sams, you can bring the TV back at any time for a refund.

twodollarbill
01-11-09, 16:01
Positively go LCD
Sony highly recommended.
We went round and round between 40" and 46".
Ended up with a 42" Sony.....perfect choice.
Bought a Visio for the kids to game on though.

LOKNLOD
01-11-09, 16:20
I've got a Samsung 46" LCD (the -650 series). the picture quality is outstanding and it was a better value than the comparable Sonys at the time we got it (late summer).

For the money, the next step down, the -550 Samsungs, have almost the same features (drops the 120hz rate, which I'm not convinced has been worth the extra $$$) and are great deals last I saw since they're kind of an "old" model.

billpete
01-11-09, 16:44
We got a 52" Samsung LCD when I returned from Iraq. Just running TWC basic cable on it, but it has tracked down some HD channels.

For the price, it was the best TV going. Very pleased with the purchase.

I cannot remember the model number right now, but it does have the 1080p and 120hz going for it.

Good luck!

hatt
01-11-09, 17:07
I've got a Samsung 46" LCD (the -650 series). the picture quality is outstanding and it was a better value than the comparable Sonys at the time we got it (late summer).

For the money, the next step down, the -550 Samsungs, have almost the same features (drops the 120hz rate, which I'm not convinced has been worth the extra $$$) and are great deals last I saw since they're kind of an "old" model.

Do you have a Blu ray player or Toshiba XDE DVD player? You're going to need something that outputs 24 frames per second to see the benefits of 120hz.

Cold Zero
01-11-09, 17:36
I couple of months ago, I bought Sony LCD in 32", 40" 46" 52" XBR (1080P) versions.

I took the extended warranty on all of them for the peace of mind. I have not complaints so far.

Vinh
01-11-09, 17:39
I have a 40" LCD Sony, model KDL-40S2010. Purchased 2 years ago.

Being a budget model, it only goes up to 1080i.

For regular DVD's, I set it to 720p and let the DVD player upscale.

For HDTV (over-the-air), it automatically sets itself to 720p or 1080i depending on what the station broadcasts.

I have no complaints about the TV. I used to be a big home theater enthusiast, but no longer obsess about gear as firearms take priority.

It came down to the Sony LCD or Panasonic plasma. I prefer the picture characteristics of plasma, but ultimately preferred the non-reflective screen and user-interface of the Sony.

Impact
01-11-09, 18:09
circuit city has SONY HDNA 40" for $999

LOKNLOD
01-11-09, 18:49
Do you have a Blu ray player or Toshiba XDE DVD player? You're going to need something that outputs 24 frames per second to see the benefits of 120hz.

I did just pick up a Blu-Ray (Samsung also) shortly after Christmas and the picture quality is amazing. I may be reaping the 120hz benefits now...

fabulous45s
01-11-09, 19:07
I've had the Samsung -550 Series 46" for almost a year now and have been more than happy with it.
I'm running ATT U-Verse with HD on HDMI, X-Box 360 with component, Wii with RCA, and DVD on HDMI. The I've got optical audio going into a Onkyo 6.1 and even my deaf wife can make out the little sounds.
I've got no complaints at all and it withstood a contract move from ME to OK with no issues.
No dead pixels and the black is deep and dark unlike some of the other LCD's I've seen.

signal4l
01-11-09, 19:18
I finially retired the old Trinitron and went with this plasma TV:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=PANASONIC+VIERA+42+plasma&cid=1064243029004174994#ps-sellers

I paid $649. This was less than a Vizio. I am glad I avoided Vizio. The warranty only applies if you keep the box. You need to ship the TV back to the service center in CA at your expense. The 1080 resolution is useful only if you are going with blue ray. HD is not broadcast at 1080.

So far we ar every happy with the TV. Less money spent on TV= more for ammo. Good luck

M1A2_Tanker
01-11-09, 20:25
This will be my next LCD. VIZIO's newest VF550XVT 55 http://www.vizio.com/product.aspx?id=2802&pid=1502

+1 American company.

Every Brand/Make/Model has horror stories.

Example: I had a $200 RCA home theater system and "Upgraded" to an $800 Kenwood. Long story short the DD support on the Kenwood at the time was worse than the RCA and the sound was horrible. I sold it for less than half what I paid within 2 months and happily went back to the RCA. I fell for the "Brand name game" and got burned.

Sam's doesn't have the 55 yet but they have the same TV in 47 for right at $1300

ETA: I have the 50inch, PS3 ( BR) ,Dish HD. The first time you see the 120Hz side by side with a 60Hz, The 120Hz makes movement look "robotic". Twice the refresh rate.

ToddG
01-11-09, 21:48
We have a 50" Panasonic plasma that is a few years old. Picture is outstanding and it's run like a champ. We have digital cable and just recently added Blu-Ray to the mix. Couldn't be happier.

I've got absolutely no idea why you'd choose LCD over plasma or vice versa. For us, the deciding factor was that the plasma had a much wider viewing angle and we didn't know how high on the wall we might be mounting the tv. In the end we put it at eye level so it was a moot point.

Honu
01-11-09, 23:23
depends on what you are doing with it and where it is and the room and lighting ? how far away etc...

daylite viewing bright rooms lots of windows ? some prefer LCD

but basically the Plasma is still the better picture and Panasonic or Pioneer Kuro are the two tops

Vizio is fine for the money I guess ? but its like someone saying buy a Busmaster

if you want say a Noveske/Colt/LMT class buy a Panasonic or if you want nicer buy the Pioneer Kuro
think of that as the Noveske/magpul rifle :) very nice but you pay for it

also remember CES is just going on to announce new models and panasonic has some really nice stuff coming out so either hold on if you can for the new models and or also wait for the current ones to drop even more :)

or if you really want one buy one now and enjoy it

while www.avsforum.com is full of BS its also got some good feedback and info if you wade through it

but its also good if you are looking at a set search the model number and you will get a ton of good feedback

I would buy a 42 at least or a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma and enjoy
you will never say OH I wish I bought a smaller one :)

also buy it and quit looking at prices cause in a few months it will be cheaper so just buy it enjoy it and never look back at prices until you are ready to buy again :)

ToddG
01-11-09, 23:29
A little google-fu:

Plasma vs. LCD at BestBuy-CNET.com
http://bestbuy-cnet.com.com/4351-12658_7-6583301.html

Since it seems to matter, our plasma is used in a fairly dark room so we only have glare issues during 30-60 minutes per day. It is very noticeable when the sunlight is on the screen, though.

Chooie
01-11-09, 23:34
I really don't mean to hijack, but I'm actually facing a similar quandary right now. Our current living room is so tiny that the viewing range is no more than 4-8 feet. The "proper" TV for that size is a 32" (currently have a 27" tube), but we are considering a 37" so it won't be entirely useless after we move. My wife and I have differing needs - I want 1080p and 120hz for blu-ray and PS3 but she controls the budget. From what I gather, I'm not going to reap the full benefit of 1080p in a 37" size - is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a 720p set suited for gaming with no audio/video lag?

Honu
01-12-09, 00:15
just a thought :)
but not sure where you got the distance thing :) if you want to go buy standards of SMPTE or THX depends

8 feet is about 60 inches for SMPTE and about 70 inches for THX

4 feet for THX is about 36 inches so a 37 inch set would be good if you are truly 4 feet ?

split the distance at 6 feet say a 50 inch set is not to much and falls in between the two standards

bigger in a Plasma is usually nicer but if you are truly only 4 feet from your eyes to the screen ? that means you have about two feet of foot room to the TV ?

thats sailboat tight :)

hatt
01-12-09, 02:55
I really don't mean to hijack, but I'm actually facing a similar quandary right now. Our current living room is so tiny that the viewing range is no more than 4-8 feet. The "proper" TV for that size is a 32" (currently have a 27" tube), but we are considering a 37" so it won't be entirely useless after we move. My wife and I have differing needs - I want 1080p and 120hz for blu-ray and PS3 but she controls the budget. From what I gather, I'm not going to reap the full benefit of 1080p in a 37" size - is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a 720p set suited for gaming with no audio/video lag? It is correct that you're not going to see major benefits from 1080p on smaller sets. 768p 37 inchers look really good. That being said 1080 is no longer a major premium on most TVs and is basically a why not, especially if you are going to sit really close and pair it with a Blu ray player. Vizio has a 42 inch 1080p 120hz TV at Sams for like $997, 37 inch 1080p for $700. I wouldn't get anything less than 37 for the living room.

SHIVAN
01-12-09, 08:51
I think my mom is focusing in on the Sony 37" XBR6 or the Sony 40" 40Z4100/S....

It seems that for a few dollars more she can get the 40" vs the 37" and get a few more features as well.

I am not sure she is going to jump to Blu-Ray immediately, but she will have regular DVD as well as DirecTV (non-HD) for now, with HD coming in the future. My dad may want to get Blu-Ray since he seems bent on getting in to the 21st century with this little project.

Palmguy
01-12-09, 09:08
42" Philips Ambilight 1080p LCD, little over a year old. Very happy with it...heard people say that Ambilight is a gimmick but I like it. HD digital cable programming through 2 different providers has been great (automatically adjusts to 720p/1080i as necessary), 360 and PS3 look great as well (including Blu-ray on the PS3). Next set will be in the 50-60" range without question.

nickdrak
01-12-09, 09:56
I recently purchased the Series 8 Samsung 52" LCD. It is nearly identical to the Series 7, but the cabinet is half as deep: 1.9" for the Series 8 compared to 3.9 for the Series 7. I dont think you can go wrong with the Series 6 and up Samsung LCD panels. They are also among the highest rated LCD TV's by Consumer Reports & CNet.

I also picked up a Samsung BluRay player, and I am currently using Comcast as my digital cable provider. You can play all of you current DVD formatted disc on the BluRay, and it does make the picture look better than a standard DVD player.

A buddy of mine bought this 40" Series 7 Samsung, and he is happier than a pig in shit: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=214327&cc_fm=Recently+Viewed+Items

Cohibra45
01-12-09, 11:04
Shivan,

Check out these two links...basically the same people that test all models of LCDs and Plasmas.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Do your research and read, read, read!!! This is a major cost item that you hope will last a very long time. Go to Best Buy, Circuit City, H H Gregg, and all to actually view the different sets. Don't be shy about buying your set on-line as you can save a few hundred dollars that way. Remember, the warranty that the store gives you is for one year; then if you buy the extended warranty, they source out that one to the very warranty people that you get when you buy on-line.;)

My dad and his wife just bought a Samsung 52" LCD and they really like theirs. Theirs is also the 1080p which really makes HD look almost 3-D!!! Kinda scary and sometimes with close ups, you wish they had better make up!!!:D

Mine is an older Sony 60" LCD projection in 720p and 1080i. I have cable and my dad has Dish network sat.

When I bought mine, Best Buy had the very same model on the floor and I really wanted to go with them, but they wouldn't budge on the price. I even showed them the printouts of how much I could get the same model from on-line. No effect at all.....so, I bought on-line and saved enough to cover shipping and an extended 5 year warranty!!!:cool: That was over $500 at that time. I believe I paid $2800 on-line for mine.

I just bought my ex-wife a new 37". I looked at Sam's version and went with Best Buys because the picture quality was way better. I believe her's is an Insignia. (I bought this because my son lives with her and they needed a good TV)

Take care and good luck. Remember, there are only a few actual makers of screens/panels. Most brands buy their screens from one of these makers!!!;)

dojpros
01-12-09, 11:59
Cohiba, you are a class act. That was a very kind gesture which puts you boy first, the ancillary benefit to his mother is not without value.

Go plasma for the viewing angle/betters darks (which seems to be all the rage in action flicks these days)/less sports motion sensitivity and branding-Samsung and Panasonic are both good stuff.

I have a 720p/ 42' Panasoncic on a wall mount with HD cable. Could not be happier.

PS Consumer reports is big on recomending 720p if the set size is less than 50 inches. Such a choice frees up money for surround sound etc. (for audio- I am high on Cambridge Soundworks and Vann's, both often have free shipping and 6-12 month same as cash plans.)

david of vcdgrips.com

CobraBG
01-12-09, 12:28
I am a die hard Sony fan. Bravia XBR is a great choice, just pick your size.

Honu
01-12-09, 13:53
I recently purchased the Series 8 Samsung 52" LCD. It is nearly identical to the Series 7, but the cabinet is half as deep: 1.9" for the Series 8 compared to 3.9 for the Series 7. I dont think you can go wrong with the Series and up Samsung LCD panels. They are also among the highest rated LCD TV's by Consumer Reports & CNet.

as a HT nut I have to say if I was buying a LCD I would buy a Samsung series 6 7 or 8
depending :)

again i still prefer the Plasma but LCD does have its pros and fills a niche that is needed in the HT market

sjc3081
01-12-09, 16:21
I have Fios HD and have this TV, it is the best value and picture.

www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=410542&pCatg=5883

kennytx
01-12-09, 16:53
SHIVAN,

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma. Great picture with Direct TV.

The only draw back with plasmas is they are energy hogs compared to LCDs and standard TVs.

Left Sig
01-12-09, 17:07
I just say the new Sony XBR8 55" with LED backlighting yesterday. Best LCD picture I've ever seen with incredible contrast similar to the higher end Plasmas. On sale for only $6500!

I bought a 46" XBR4 a year ago, and a 40" XBR4 on clearance this summer. The clearance price on the 40" was was cheaper than the Z-series 40" by $500 at the time, and they are more or less equivalent. The XBR4 was the top rated LCD of it's time, and still holds up very well.

I have to say that 120 Hz with motion enhancement is almost necessary on LCD's. It really helps with film content which can be run at the native 24 fps from Blu-ray, and it also helps smooth out the motion.

Whatever size you think you need, go one or two sizes higher. Unless you have a definite space limitation. I originally considered a 40" to start with, but selected the 46" in the store. After a few months at home with it, I realized I should have spring for the 52".

If going with LCD, Sony and Samsung are the leaders, and they use the same LCD panels. For a 40", the XBR6 is about as good as you're going to get.

On the 46" I am running a PS3, HD DVR Cable Box (SA 8300 HDC), Oppo upscaling DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player, and an Apple TV with HD downloadable rentals.

The 40" has a Sony S350 Blu-ray player and an HD cable box (Pace).

Warning! No NOT buy ANY HDMI cables at retail. Every store will screw your eyeballs out. Buy online for $5 a cable or so from www.monoprice.com

hatt
01-12-09, 17:31
Whatever size you think you need, go one or two sizes higher. Unless you have a definite space limitation. I originally considered a 40" to start with, but selected the 46" in the store. After a few months at home with it, I realized I should have spring for the 52".
There is no such thing as a TV that is too large, unless it physically won't fit on the wall. :D

Cohibra45
01-12-09, 18:25
There is no such thing as a TV that is too large, unless it physically won't fit on the wall. :D

+100 on that. At the time I bought mine, the choices were 50" and 60". I thought at first the 50 would be great and the 60 looked too large, but I am really glad to have gotten the 60.

Go Big or Go Home!!!:D:D:D

hatt
01-12-09, 18:31
+100 on that. At the time I bought mine, the choices were 50" and 60". I thought at first the 50 would be great and the 60 looked too large, but I am really glad to have gotten the 60.

Go Big or Go Home!!!:D:D:D
A friend of mine has a projector with 140" screen in an avg size room. It's pretty sweet watching games and movies on. No way any commonly available flat panel is going to be too big under any circumstances.

ToddG
01-12-09, 18:43

Walls can be torn down.

toasterlocker
01-12-09, 18:47
Consumer Reports says Costco is the best online retailer, and I can personally attest to that.

Also, Consumer reports says many of the components and screens of the "lower end" TVs are made in the same factories of the major brands, then just given a different housing, box and labels.

LCD is the way I would go. Much lighter and easier to move and mount on a wall, "burn in" is not an issues like it can be with plasmas if you aren't careful, and the picture on a plasma is not going to be noticeably better other than the "blacks" are "blacker" if that makes sense.

LOKNLOD
01-12-09, 19:04
No way any commonly available flat panel is going to be too big under any circumstances.

Unless you're stuck watching non-HD programming on a huge set in a tiny room. Watching grainy, pixelated skewed TV on a big beautiful TV is almost worse than watching it on a tiny crappy one.

hatt
01-12-09, 19:13
Unless you're stuck watching non-HD programming on a huge set in a tiny room. Watching grainy, pixelated skewed TV on a big beautiful TV is almost worse than watching it on a tiny crappy one.
I'd agree with that, but that isn't the TV's fault. ;) I try not to watch SD channels and the crappy HD channels like TNT.

BVickery
01-12-09, 19:15
I have a 42" Panny Plasma and love it. Only plasma out there that is 'better' are the Pioneer Kuro displays, but the improvement is really negligible for such a huge price difference.

One thing you REALLY need to be aware of is how close you will be to the LCD if you get one. To big and you will see horrible pixilation (we had a 46" Sony that we loved and got a great deal on, but was to big for our home theater set-up).

sjc3081
01-12-09, 21:32
Consumer Reports says Costco is the best online retailer, and I can personally attest to that.

Also, Consumer reports says many of the components and screens of the "lower end" TVs are made in the same factories of the major brands, then just given a different housing, box and labels.

LCD is the way I would go. Much lighter and easier to move and mount on a wall, "burn in" is not an issues like it can be with plasmas if you aren't careful, and the picture on a plasma is not going to be noticeably better other than the "blacks" are "blacker" if that makes sense.

Costco gives large sums of money to the DNC anually and generally supports liberal Democratic causes. Walmart/Sams club is on the pro American team.

Left Sig
01-12-09, 21:56
I have a 42" Panny Plasma and love it. Only plasma out there that is 'better' are the Pioneer Kuro displays, but the improvement is really negligible for such a huge price difference.

One thing you REALLY need to be aware of is how close you will be to the LCD if you get one. To big and you will see horrible pixilation (we had a 46" Sony that we loved and got a great deal on, but was to big for our home theater set-up).

That's odd. On my Sony 46" I get zero pixellation with Blu-ray, Upconverted DVD, and 720p Apple TV HD movies. The only pixellation I get is on over-compressed HD cable, and it's mostly the boxy macro blocking you get during fast transitions.

Sony's default "enhancement" settings, and there are a LOT of settings, don't really help. All of those edge enhancement, noise reduction, and DRC pallet settings often make things worse. The noise reduction especially screws up deinterlacing of 1080i sources to 1080p and is best left off.

g5m
01-13-09, 10:03
I would recommend avoiding Mitsubishi.

Honu
01-13-09, 13:35

sadly CR is kinda dumb as of recent :)

it can be the same panel but the electronics that drive them are not the same at all

its like hyundai getting a performance engine then Porsche getting the same performance engine
and both assemble a car who do you think is going to have the brakes and suspension and such to be a nicer car ?

there are fewer panel makers but again the panel is a small part of the equation

gun analogy :)
this is like saying all ARs are the same cause the lowers are the same they just put dif looking stuff on them
as we all know the lower is a small part of the package :)