PDA

View Full Version : Advice on first AR purchase?

NewGuyAtl
01-11-09, 15:36
Hello everyone -

Thanks in advance for any info that you provide. This is my first thread and let me apologize for its length. I wanted to give a little background about myself.

I am 35 and have grown up around guns (mostly shotguns and bolt-action/lever-action hunting rifles) my entire life. After graduation from college about 10 years ago, my work kept me pre-occupied to the point where I did not have much time for hunting or sport shooting.

Now I am finally able to pick hunting/shooting up again. I have always been interested in the AR platform but have never owned one. I have done a fair amount of research and familiarized myself with most major manufacturers. However, there is a tremendous amount of information out there to digest.

Question (finally) -
I would like my first AR to be used for hunting purposes (mostly deer/wild hog). I have been leaning more toward the DPMS LR308 with 24-inch barrel. My assumption is that this model, like other ARs, is highly customizable. The pics posted on this sight seem to support that. Does anyone have any thoughts on this model? Any others that you would recommend?

Also, any recommendations on reading materials (books, magazines) as well as other useful websites are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Buckaroo
01-11-09, 16:34
Start here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Jay Cunningham
01-11-09, 16:51
Start here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

I don't think this really helps the OP with a selection of a hunting weapon.

rob_s
01-11-09, 16:57
Agreed.

Know that .308 ARs are big guns, even with 16" barrels. I don't know what kind of hunting you do, but if it involves toting the rifle around the .308 AR may not be for you. Even if you're hunting from a stand or what have you, you've still got to get to the stand, and up in it, and a 24" .308 AR is going to be a pain in the ass to deal with in those situations.

I hunt hogs with a 5.56 AR loaded with 75 grain Black Hills ammo. I don't do it because it's the best platform/caliber for it though, I just do it because it's fun, it's what I'm familiar with, and it works well enough. If I was buying a dedicated hunting gun though I'm not sure that any AR would be my first choice, regardless of caliber.

NewGuyAtl
01-11-09, 18:28
Thanks for the info rob_s.

To answer your question, I shoot mostly from a blind or a stand. I understand your weight concerns. However, I rarely have to walk long distances while hunting, and I am a fairly big buy at 6'2"/220lbs (although getting it into a stand would/could be a hassle).

Another clarification - although I want to be able to hunt with the rifle, I would probably only make it to the field less than 10 times per year. At the same time, I anticipate making it to the range probably 25 times per year. Therefore, hunting is not the only driver for the decision. I simply want the first AR that I buy to be suitable for hunting (and from what I understand, they are gaining ground among hunters, especially with so many veterans returning from Iraq/Afganistan who are comfortable with the AR platform).

Thanks again for the info.

rob_s
01-11-09, 18:33
Gotcha.

Shooting long-range with a .308 heavy barrel AR can be very rewarding. It's not something I'm into, but those that are really seem to enjoy it, and you do see a lot of DPMS rifles with that crowd as they tend to be inexpensive (relatively speaking) but still accurate.

My one suggestion would be that you figure out the distance at which you need the rounds to actually perform (meaning fragment/mushroom/etc.) and let your barrel length be determined by that. 24" is a VERY long barrel, even in a .308, and there's a possibility that you might be able to get by with a 20" or even a 16" barrel. Something like this (http://dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=16) could serve your purposes and save you a bit of weight.

NewGuyAtl
01-11-09, 18:55
Thanks again rob_s for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

Long-distance shooting has always appealed to me - that's one of the reasons I had focused on the longer barrel.

I am probably overreaching in that I want my first AR to be all things for all needs. Assuming that I continue to acquire other ARs, I will probably become more practical.

If you don't mind me asking, outside of hog hunting, what type of shooting do you use yours for.

Also, what other manufacturers have you had good experience with (assuming that information can be disclosed on this site).

Thanks again - hate to monopolize your time.

fabulous45s
01-11-09, 20:24
Growing up in a benchrest/bolt action family and focusing most of my off duty shooting to bolt actions, long range, and precision, I can see where you're coming from. A 24" .308 bolt action is status quo, but in the AR world, that's a BEAST and the outer fringe of what most folks own/use. A good 16', 18", or 20" will outshoot most people out there, and the velocity drop usually isn't enough to make it deal breaker.
The AR platform is all about versitility and followup shot. With a system like you're talking about, a shooter/spotter team could own 1 km in any direction, but won't be very mobile with it. Current trends are even shortening the barrel on the M1A/M14 platform (which may also be a good option for you).
By no means am I saying don't get a 24" 7.62, but be careful of staying in the bolt action paradigm (which are also getting shorter barrels) and explore what all the AR platform has to offer. Check out the "Beyond 5.56/.223" forum and research the 6.5 and 6.8's. They offer some superb hunting performance and still use a standard AR-15 lower, to which you could purchase a second upper in 5.56 and have an awesome big game/varmint combo. Add in a .22lr conversion or a dedicated .22lr upper...well, you get the idea. All of that based off one common lower.
I've spent some time at work with a 7.62 SASS and it's fine for owning 4 grid blocks with a buddy, but if it were my money, I'd get (and I did) a high end lower, and then build up upper receivers as I saw fit.
And be careful, BRD (Black Rifle Disease) is very contagious...and costly.