PDA

View Full Version : Book: The Mission The Men and Me

Blinking Dog
01-11-09, 19:25
Has anyone seen the book The Mission The Men and Me? The author is a guy named Pete Blaber who is supposedly a former "commander" in Delta Force. I just got the book and am a couple chapters into it and am kind of wondering...is this legit? Anybody know?

I hate to read the whole thing then find out this guy is a phony. I read The Hunt for Bin Laden by Robin Moore years ago and recommended it to pretty much everyone I know...then later it turns out Robin supposedly got duped by some folks in his old age and the book isn't all true. Hate to waste my time reading fiction that I think is non-fiction.

NoBody
01-11-09, 19:37
Deleted.

Mark71
01-11-09, 19:41
Not sure about the book "The Mission and Me" but an excellent read is Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury. Check it out when you get a chance.

http://daltonfury.com

Leonidas
01-11-09, 20:28
Can't vouch for the credentials of anyone in the book. The only part I really liked was the end when he gets into the details of Operation Anaconda. Good part about the Delta Operators using specially modified ATV's to silently infiltrate the mountains at night, even going through the middle of a hostile village.
The philosophical meanderings at the end of some of the chapters I could do without.
Though not as well written, I enjoyed Kill Bin Ladin more.

Iraqgunz
01-12-09, 02:17
Mr. "Fury" (nom de plume) sent me an autographed copy and I was stoked. I donated my extra copy to someone here in country. I thought it was an excellent read and a few guys that I know who know him said he was well liked and respected.

Not sure about the book "The Mission and Me" but an excellent read is Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury. Check it out when you get a chance.

http://daltonfury.com

LSK
01-12-09, 08:51
Pete Blaber is who he states. Don't read it expecting a tell all on CAG. It is more about general leadership concepts told from his perspective as an officer from his unit. Good info on the military decision making process and the affects of technology on it. After you read Blaber's book read Not A Good Day To Die by Sean Naylor if you want more historical details.

Blinking Dog
01-12-09, 15:18
Pete Blaber is who he states. Don't read it expecting a tell all on CAG. It is more about general leadership concepts told from his perspective as an officer from his unit.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not supporting a poser. Your description of the book is what I was looking for...I'm always interested in hearing new leadership/management perspectives.

I'll get some historical stuff in my next books to read, which will be Never Surrender by Gen. Boykin, and Kill Bin Laden.