PDA

View Full Version : SPORTS meets Boyd

K.L. Davis
11-25-06, 19:11
Okay... I know that there is talk about SPORTS being old school, and different ways to teach immediate action and remedical action -- so here is an interesting idea for this:

SPOR2 (like S-P-O-R squared)

Give me your thoughts... LE guys may like this more than others...

S - Seat (or slap I guess), ensure the magazine is fully seated.
P - Pull the operating handle to the rear
here is gets interesting
O - OODA
R2 - Resume or Remediate

ETA: I guess they are calling this SPORES, like a pirate I guess... S P O Rs ;)

KevinB
11-25-06, 22:22
Tap Rack Bang.
:d

Steve
11-25-06, 22:41
How about that

Push -pull-rack-roll

K.L. Davis
11-25-06, 22:49
Tap Rack Bang.
:d

I am thinking that it is about not seperating the immediate action and remedial action -- therefore the OODA is added to an action that leads to making a decision and moving with it.

:confused:

Pat_Rogers
11-26-06, 10:28
Our doctrine is to do Immediate Action first- as that will clear about 90% of malfunctions (Type 1 and Type 2)
PUSH/PULL; Rack and Roll/ Get back in the fight

If that doesn't work, Remedial Action time:
Seek cover and advise of your problem (clearly for your teamates)
Lock bolt to rear.
Remove and discard magazine (unless this is the last one)
Rack 3x
Lock bolt to rear. Insert fingers of support side hand into mag well and feel for any obstruction (we find appx 20% of the time there will be something in there).
When clear, insert fresh mag, bolt forward and get your head back in the fight.

We have been doing it this way for years. It works in bright light and no light and has a high degree of success for clearing Type 3 Malfunctions.

We stopped slapping mags a long time ago....

K.L. Davis
11-26-06, 12:19
Our doctrine is to do Immediate Action first- as that will clear about 90% of malfunctions (Type 1 and Type 2)
PUSH/PULL; Rack and Roll/ Get back in the fight

If that doesn't work, Remedial Action time:
Seek cover and advise of your problem (clearly for your teamates)
Lock bolt to rear.
Remove and discard magazine (unless this is the last one)
Rack 3x
Lock bolt to rear. Insert fingers of support side hand into mag well and feel for any obstruction (we find appx 20% of the time there will be something in there).
When clear, insert fresh mag, bolt forward and get your head back in the fight.

We have been doing it this way for years. It works in bright light and no light and has a high degree of success for clearing Type 3 Malfunctions.

We stopped slapping mags a long time ago....

Pat,

That is pretty much what we still teach... I just was reviewing some training stuff and came across the SPOR2 thing, thought it was interesting.

Although I am starting to wonder about acronymous memory aids when working with non-english speaking countries ;)

And you have probably seen more than anyone, how every week someone tries to reinvent something and make it "theirs" by way of a subtle change or new name -- I had a guy recently describe your method exactly, but called it "Rack, Roll, Rattle & Rock"... of course if you can add the word "Rock" (to get back in the fight) it makes it sound so much cooler :rolleyes:

Personally, I just want to see the guys make a decision and act on it... they understand the fundementals of the weapon's operation and (I hope) the totality of the situation -- so I want to see a quick and appropriate decision and action. It's like I tell 'em... you need to make a decison and act, and you need to realize that you only have the rest of your life to do it.

In talking with one of the guys, I see now where they are going with this SPOR2 thing... but they teach the same thing we currently do for action by a dedicated member (if you are a brick in the wall) and that is weapon transition.

Hope your Holidays are good so far...

kld

Pat_Rogers
11-26-06, 12:55
Roger, great Thanksgiving- no one but us and the critters...
Roger also on transition. We run that 25m and in, or within a structure.

I am convinced that a great many make up a name for an already existing technique for the simple reason that if they didn't have that crutch, no one would listen to them.

On the other hand, i am ecstatic that some things evolve. Many things are being done now "because that's how we always did it".

Sigh.

Tim Lau told me of a class he attended where a nationally known figure taught 17 (seventeen) different ways to clear a malfunction. They all started with "Look at the gun and see what you have", and this probably reflects a competitive background where night is when you go to sleep and rain means time out.

There is a difference between shooting and fighting. Too bad so many don't understand that.