PDA

View Full Version : Same plane BUIS question

marty
01-11-09, 21:43
I've been looking at the site for an answer to my question but can't find a thread on this. I thought I saw one a while ago. Anyway, is the prime reason to get a same plane sight so that the point of impact is the same whether using large or the small aperature? Is it really possible to get the same point of impact? Will a same plane have any advantages or disadvantages with an optic for co-witnessing?

cqbdriver
01-12-09, 05:21
Anyway, is the prime reason to get a same plane sight so that the point of impact is the same whether using large or the small aperture? Yes

Is it really possible to get the same point of impact? Yes - the apertures are just made to the same height. However, obviously, the large aperture will not have as tight a group.

Will a same plane have any advantages or disadvantages with an optic for co-witnessing? Slight advantage - in that only one of the apertures will be cowitness. The other aperture will higher or lower than the optic

RE4
01-12-09, 10:31
I had a similar question!

So one could use the smaller aperture for 25/50 yards as well as 100 yards?

I would think so but some people at the range swear that there are differences between the two apertures to warrant the small one to only 100+ yard use only.

Solid
01-12-09, 13:23
I removed the small aperture from my BUIS.

When the rifle is not in use: Optic off, BUIS up and ready
When the rifle is in use: Optic on, lower BUIS, both get in the way of closing it without raising them both
When Optic dies or want to co-witness: BUIS up and already have the aperture up

Saves a lot of time and makes it much easier to run only one BUIS. Right now I just keep the large on. Faster, better vision, and you can hit a normal target with it.