PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 SF

Paulinski
01-12-09, 10:50
What is the general consensus regarding the Glock 21 Slim Frame with picatinny rail?

I have been shooting my G19 and G26 almost exclusively so I have no experience in the Glock .45 platform.

What is the reliability / durability of G21? I know the mags will be specific due to the ambi-mag release. Will Vickers mag release fit?

I love my 9mm Glocks but I'm looking to expand the family. ;)

Any info is appreciated.

Paul

techo
01-12-09, 11:01
I'm planning on getting the version with the Glock rail & night sights because I don't like the cheese grater on the front. I hope to get an extended slide lock release because it was really stiff on the one I looked at.

gtmtnbiker98
01-12-09, 11:23
You know that you can get the G21 SF without the Pic rail and ambi mag release, right. I would personally stick with the Glock rail and the non ambi mag release. I currently own the standard G21 and find it as durable and reliable as the other Glock models.

Some will say that the .4* Glocks are not as reliable as the 9mm models, but I am yet to experience any issues with the .40 S&W and .40 ACP versions. I also own the G30 SF and love it.

Paulinski
01-12-09, 11:35
I didn't know they are available with Glock rail and non-ambi mag release.

Make sense to get that model.

gtmtnbiker98
01-12-09, 11:38
Yes, in my opinion, it makes better sense. Besides, rumor has it that Glock will be doing away with the Pic rail (Internet rumor I might add, but worth considering).

M4arc
01-12-09, 11:46
As others have stated you can get them with the standard Glock rail and regular (non-ambi) mag release. Obviously the Vickers Extended Mag Release will not work in the ambi model and they will be too short to run in a regular mag release model so you're out of luck if you want to run one with any G21.

Paulinski
01-12-09, 12:57
Thanks for the info. I'm kind of bummed the Vickers Mag release won't work as I set all my Glock the same way.

3.5 connector / NY1 combo
Vickers Mag Release
10-8 Sights (tritium front)
Butt plug :p

What about reliability and durability of G21. Any issues with X200/300 lights attached ala the G23?

Thanks

gtmtnbiker98
01-12-09, 13:11
No issues from what I've read, the light issues are pretty much hinged upon the .40 S&W Glocks. Even that is sporadic.

Don Robison
01-12-09, 20:31
I've got two, one of them has a little over 9k through it with no issues, roughly 2K of that is with an X200 attached. The second has 2K through it, all with an X200 attached. It's the bedside gun I bought because I got tired of taking the light on and off every day as well as the back up for training classes when I shoot .45 instead of 9mm. Nearly all of that ammo was Wolf and Blazer with some WW white box and 400 rounds of Golden Saber thrown in since that is what I carry everyday. They are both ambi with pic rails bought when they first came out.

mrosamilia
01-12-09, 21:07
I too have the Pic rail and Ambi version. I have only 1500 through mine and zero malfunctions to date. WWB and 300 Gold Dots.

Jack_Stroker
01-12-09, 21:25
I'm not really a Glock guy, but if they ever put out a Glock 20 SF model I'll be all over that like flies on dog crap.

mrosamilia
01-12-09, 21:27
It's here now. Dealers should be able to take orders any day. It is in the 2009 Glock Annual along with the 29SF.

Jack_Stroker
01-12-09, 21:30
It's here now. Dealers should be able to take orders any day. It is in the 2009 Glock Annual along with the 29SF.

Glock 20 SF? Really? I'll have to look for them if true. I did handle the Glock 21 and Glock 21SF side by side. The SF model feels much better in the hand. The angle still feels weird to me, but since the Glock is absolutely the best value in a 10mm I may have to look at getting one.

gtmtnbiker98
01-13-09, 18:00
Glock 20 SF? Really? I'll have to look for them if true. I did handle the Glock 21 and Glock 21SF side by side. The SF model feels much better in the hand. The angle still feels weird to me, but since the Glock is absolutely the best value in a 10mm I may have to look at getting one.

Might as well get you check book ready, many distributors are showing them along with the RTF Glocks. Any day now, their availability will be "IN-STOCK."

Jack_Stroker
01-13-09, 18:11
Might as well get you check book ready, many distributors are showing them along with the RTF Glocks. Any day now, their availability will be "IN-STOCK."

I certainly want a standard model, without the ambi-mag release and I also want it with the Glock rail instead of the 1913 rail. The 1913 rail is FUGLY as hell on the Glock 21SF. The Glock 20SF would likely look about the same.

12oreo
01-13-09, 18:30
I have a 21sf with ambi release and Glock rail- the release is tight and I can feel it on the right side. If I were buying another 21sf I would prefer the standard release but I would take an ambi if it was the only option available. Otherwise a great gun for me- better accuracy and control than my 23.

Jack_Stroker
01-13-09, 22:54
I have a 21sf with ambi release and Glock rail- the release is tight and I can feel it on the right side. If I were buying another 21sf I would prefer the standard release but I would take an ambi if it was the only option available. Otherwise a great gun for me- better accuracy and control than my 23.

Well I don't need the ambi magazine release. I'm thinking that I'll be able to use the older magazines with the Glock 20SF if I just go with the standard right hand magazine release equipped model.

ST911
01-13-09, 23:25
At one time, Glock employees in IW/ACs had noted that the Glock rail and standard mag releases were outselling the pic rail and ambis at a rate of ~10:1. A variety of reasons were cited, most notably that there just wasn't the interest or demand for either of the latter, except in certain niches.

The G21SF, with Glock rail and standard release, is my first choice of full size 45ACPs, and particularly of the non-1911s. Boringly accurate and reliable, even with ammo that shouldn't be.

Jack_Stroker
01-13-09, 23:29
At one time, Glock employees in IW/ACs had noted that the Glock rail and standard mag releases were outselling the pic rail and ambis at a rate of ~10:1. A variety of reasons were cited, most notably that there just wasn't the interest or demand for either of the latter, except in certain niches.

The G21SF, with Glock rail and standard release, is my first choice of full size 45ACPs, and particularly of the non-1911s. Boringly accurate and reliable, even with ammo that shouldn't be.

I've got quite a few .45ACP hand guns. So I am more interested in a Glock 20 SF myself. Hopefully, they will be available soon.

Jack_Stroker
01-15-09, 18:16
Well I decided not to wait for a Glock 20 SF. I may get one later, but for now I picked up a Glock 21 SF and a Glock 36. I will hopefully try them out this weekend and depending on if I like them or not compared to my Springfield XD's I may replace them as my standard carry weapons. I'm a big guy so carrying the Glock 21 SF shouldn't be a big deal.

Another reason to get it in .45ACP was to make the comparison between the Glock and the XD more objective.

sff70
01-16-09, 00:50
To answer the original question, I've owned several G21s but sold them due to size of the grip.

In the past year I fondled/fired a G21 SF. IMO it's a slight improvement over the regular 21, and not enough of an improvement for me to buy one.

Jack_Stroker
01-16-09, 08:43
To answer the original question, I've owned several G21s but sold them due to size of the grip.

In the past year I fondled/fired a G21 SF. IMO it's a slight improvement over the regular 21, and not enough of an improvement for me to buy one.

I hated the Glock 21's original grip. The 21SF while not the most comfortable thing on the planet, is a major improvement in my eyes. Of course, had I not come from the already large Springfield XD-45 I probably would have gone right past the Glock 21SF.

Dave G
01-16-09, 08:57
I guess I was thinking I read somewhere that you can put a G20 upper on the G21sf frame with no issues. Maybe I am wrong.

Jack_Stroker
01-16-09, 09:02
I guess I was thinking I read somewhere that you can put a G20 upper on the G21sf frame with no issues. Maybe I am wrong.

The frame size should be the same if everything I'm reading is accurate.

Jack_Stroker
01-16-09, 23:40
Took my Glock 21SF and Glock 36 out to the range. I was surprised at how accurate I was with the Glock 21SF considering I've never fired a Glock before. The Glock 36 also proved to be equally impressive. I was concerned about recoil from the .45ACP round from such a light and little weapon but it really wasn't bad at all and it was much more accurate than I anticipated. I only threw about 200 rounds through them but I was pleased with the results. I used Winchester white box ammunition and Remington Golden Sabers. (230gr.) I experienced no malfunctions of any kind from either weapon.

Additionally I had read that Glock 21 mags wouldn't interchange with the 21SF. I also read that standard mags wouldn't work in ambi mag release equipped weapons. This is false. I asked the guy at the range about Glock 21 SF mags, at which point he informed me that regular 21 mags would work. He grabbed a couple off the shelf and threw them into a Glock 21SF with ambi mag release and M1913 rail. These mags were not cut for the ambi mag release, yet both sides released the mag properly. The Glock 21 mags also fit in the 21SF without issues allowing for positive slide lock. I also tried cycling several mags worth of ammunition through the magazine when I got home and found no issues with doing so. So despite beliefs to the contrary, the standard 21 mags are good to go regardless of which version of the Glock 21 you use.

Don Robison
01-16-09, 23:46
Additionally I had read that Glock 21 mags wouldn't interchange with the 21SF. I also read that standard mags wouldn't work in ambi mag release equipped weapons. This is false. I asked the guy at the range about Glock 21 SF mags, at which point he informed me that regular 21 mags would work. He grabbed a couple off the shelf and threw them into a Glock 21SF with ambi mag release and M1913 rail. These mags were not cut for the ambi mag release, yet both sides released the mag properly. The Glock 21 mags also fit in the 21SF without issues allowing for positive slide lock. I also tried cycling several mags worth of ammunition through the magazine when I got home and found no issues with doing so. So despite beliefs to the contrary, the standard 21 mags are good to go regardless of which version of the Glock 21 you use.

All of the current (within the last 24ish months) mags are fine. The older magazines produced prior to the G21SF coming out lack the cutout for the ambi-mag release.

Jack_Stroker
01-17-09, 01:00
All of the current (within the last 24ish months) mags are fine. The older magazines produced prior to the G21SF coming out lack the cutout for the ambi-mag release.

Is there one cutout or two? The ones I got only have a cutout on one side, but work with the version of the gun with the ambi release.

Hound_va
01-17-09, 11:02
There is a indentation on the left side of the magazine to accept the standard magazine release. There is a cutout in the center of the front of the magazine to accept the ambi mag release. The cutout in the front only goes thru the poly and you will still see the metal. It is not a cutout that goes all the way thru the mag body.

The ambi release mechanism works via pivoting the release located towards the front center of the magazine well. It does not have anything on it to catch the indentation on the left side of the magazine.

Gutshot John
01-17-09, 11:06

+1. Though I actually had to buy an SF to figure this out.

If you've got big hands it's a nice gun.

Slater
01-17-09, 12:50
Considering the seemingly wide dislike of the G21's fat grip, it's kind of surprising (to me, anyway) that Glock continues to sell this model. But Hell, somebody out there is buying these.

Don Robison
01-17-09, 13:05
Is there one cutout or two? The ones I got only have a cutout on one side, but work with the version of the gun with the ambi release.

Hound got it right. The ambi catch is in the middle front of the mag.

Jack_Stroker
01-17-09, 14:08
Considering the seemingly wide dislike of the G21's fat grip, it's kind of surprising (to me, anyway) that Glock continues to sell this model. But Hell, somebody out there is buying these.

The Glock 21SF is a nice gun. My hands are on the large side though I couldn't stand the standard Glock 21 grip. Too large and uncomfortable for me. The slight alteration between the 21SF and the 21 made all the difference for me.

.45fmjoe
01-18-09, 22:21
The Glock 21SF is a nice gun. My hands are on the large side though I couldn't stand the standard Glock 21 grip. Too large and uncomfortable for me. The slight alteration between the 21SF and the 21 made all the difference for me.

I agree, The regular 20/21 feels like an unwieldy 2x4. The 20/21 SF models are a great improvement to me. I played with the 20SF at the SHOT Show and I cannot wait to get one for camping/hog hunting.

Don Robison
01-18-09, 22:32
I cannot wait to get one for camping/hog hunting.

I was thinking the same thing. Any word on when they will be in the shops?

.45fmjoe
01-18-09, 22:38
I was thinking the same thing. Any word on when they will be in the shops?

The Glock guy told me they are in stock and should be in stores by next month. I cannot wait. :D

teufeldog
01-21-09, 18:50
I must be the odd man out. I like the looks of the 21SF w/1913 rail better than the Glock rail. Oh well. :cool: I've toyed with getting one for some time now but I also want a G34. Freakin' decisions.

Jack_Stroker
01-22-09, 09:42
I must be the odd man out. I like the looks of the 21SF w/1913 rail better than the Glock rail. Oh well. :cool: I've toyed with getting one for some time now but I also want a G34. Freakin' decisions.

I hate the way the M1913 rail looks on the Glock. It looks like a cheese grater and it hangs down too low compared to the Glock rail.