PDA

View Full Version : my fathers pics from Korea F-86 sabre (post your parents old pics also)

Honu
01-12-09, 14:12
I am a photog for a living and my dad loved cameras also when he was in the Korean war and has a ton of cool pics I am scanning in

he was a F-86 pilot and did some test flying etc.. so he has some cool stuff
I pulled the first box and this was one of the first two I scanned in

when I was in film study class back in the school days my dad had a 16mm reel hanging around the house I brought it in and it was some old wing/gun cam footage :) very rough and hard to make out but you could see a bit and was pretty cool stuff

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3176&d=1252566630

also would be fun to see others who had parents in active wars etc...
or if you are old enough to have them in past confilcts ?
WWII or Korea or Vietnam ?

Littlelebowski
01-12-09, 14:23
Wow! More please. Thank you father for his service.

chuckles
01-12-09, 14:26
Yes, please more and my thanks to him also. Neat pic.

5POINT56
01-12-09, 15:03
Yeah, sign me up for more photos...great post!

Honu
01-12-09, 15:03
I will get more up but might be a few weeks we have a new baby etc.. and AHHHHH swamped with work :)

but I saw a couple that had some race cars in the hanger it looks like ? I know my dad used to be into race cars so not sure I have to ask him about them

some of the engines pulled out etc...

my plan is to get them all scanned in and do some prints of my favs and do a cool slide show for his TV so he can enjoy

rat31465
01-12-09, 15:04
I was very much enamoured with the F-86 Sabres back in High School...Love the swept back wings style.
Not trying to Hi-Jack your thread or anything but wanted to add a Pic of my Uncle Ralph Wiggins from WW-II. Thats him working on the Rotor.
He made the landing at Normandy.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=240

This pic was marked on the back France. Thats my Uncle Ralph second from the right on the back row.
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=242

This pic was marked on the back Ft. Knox 1942. Ralph Wiggins is on the Right.
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=241

Honu
01-12-09, 15:34
Rat31465 no hijack :)
I edited the title so maybe others also can add more pics :)

thats cool I love older pics of this kinda stuff

rubberneck
01-12-09, 16:08
I was very much enamoured with the F-86 Sabres back in High School...Love the swept back wings style.
Not trying to Hi-Jack your thread or anything but wanted to add a Pic of my Uncle Ralph Wiggins from WW-II. Thats him working on the Rotor.
He made the landing at Normandy.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=240

The Helicopter in that picture is a Sikorsky H-19 which would date the photo to no earlier than 1950-51 when they first entered into the service. Those were really wonderful yet unique looking birds piloted and supported by great men.

rat31465
01-12-09, 16:52
Rubberneck,
Your right...sorry.
Uncle Ralph entered service during WW-II and served through the Korean War as well.
The pic was only recently given to me by my Mother and I had my intel wrong.:p

Honu
01-12-09, 22:14
one thing I love is my dads stories of flying over in Korea and what they could get away with back then :) I knew a few pilots in recent and man nothing like the old days of what they could do for sure or at least not get caught doing ;)

he had some good stories of doing testing in Arizona and Nevada :) I also have some great pics of Oahu back in the 50s man what a dif :)
I have a cool shot I have to scan off a outlook he took in the 50s then I took the same shot ! not knowing he ever took it in the 80s when I was in school over on Oahu from the same spot !!!!
amazing difference :)

Army Chief
01-13-09, 00:37
For starters, there probably isn't a plane out there that has more pure sex appeal than the oft-forgotten F-86: it was truly the fighter pilot's airplane, no matter what folks will tell you about the P-51. (Keep in mind that a majority of WWII fighter pilots flew the P-47 instead, and of those that had long postwar careers, it is often recounted that the Sabre was their all-time favorite). A good friend of mine owned a beautiful Canadair F-86L, and sadly lost his life in it several years ago, but when I started a (long dormant) design business once upon a time -- www.sabre-design.com -- the Sabre figured into things pretty prominently.

More to the point, I think what you're doing is more than just "something cool" from a family history perspective: you would be amazed at how much of our history is being lost these days when a veteran passes on and his service photos are either tossed in the trash (yes, this actually happens), or the family breaks the collection apart in order to sell them one by one on e-bay. At one time I was heavily engaged in Me-262 research, and founded www.stormbirds.com in the process. My colleagues in that venture and I saw this all of the time, and even today it is not unusual to see a single WWII photo sell for $200 or more -- sadly, when it is culled from a larger collectiion, the context and the history are often lost.

Scan away, and know that what you're doing will surely serve a larger purpose in the not-too-distant future. What a great family legacy, and an admirable record of extraordinary service. Very, very cool.

AC

Honu
01-13-09, 01:35
Army Chief :) I hear ya about history and good post

you would freak over some of the stuff my brother has put together from the American Indian civil war period
he is into collecting quite heavy and is a walking brain of info
he is a rare IQ guy so has this memory for the stuff that blows you away
he has a few footlockers of people basically he has put together complete sets of peoples lives including letters to and from home the original clothes metals and basically their life also a few guns they used to match and everything the person had as they would have had it etc..
I know the Smithsonian has used him before ? and he has shown his collection at certain places
one cool thing he has is a Hotchkiss gun (I might have spelled that wrong) pretty cool setup for sure complete with the pack gear and many rounds of dif types etc..
he used to shoot it quite a bit also can make quite a boom

so he is trying to preserve these setups and history in a way that can tell the story of a few people in complete
he has traveled to the relatives to get more info etc.. and share what he has and in most all cases sounds like they are happy someone is doing it ?

as you say its sad how things get broken up when they pass on

but yup this collection will stay original in order in our family since I do photography for a living not sure if or how I will license anything out ever in the future ? have to talk to him about it ? and I think my brother has sadly spoken for all his stuff but will be with the conditions it is never to be sold at any cost out of the family !!!!!

their was a thread about heirloom stuff ? I did not post but my thought is the only thing that is truly heirloom is family history and keeping those things
I do wonder what our generation will have to pass down ?

if you like history I will have to post a couple shots I took when I got to dive on the USS Arizona and take photos ! which as some might know is a rare beyond rare thing and I dont really post them etc.. but might have to post a cool shot of #1 turret disappearing into the murky green waters

Freakdaddy
01-13-09, 02:10
Well since you invited us to post our pics, I'll join in. This is the only one I have of my Dad on the computer at the moment. I knew if I waited to scan the others I have of his service (no real action shots), this thread would have long been gone.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/Freakdaddy2/DSC00816.jpg

My Dad served in WWII aboard the USS Fanshaw Bay. This aircraft carrier was affectionately called the "Fighting Fannie Bee". It was involved in the Battle off Samar but Dad would never really talk about any of the action he saw but he would share some stories regarding friends he had on ship. Of course I was too young (he was 42 when I was born) to fully understand any of it. He passed away when I was 26, about the time you start realizing your parents aren't complete idiots and by then it was too late. In all honesty, I don't think he would ever talk about it. The only thing I ever recall him saying was standing next to a guy on deck and how he got his head blown off by Japanese aircraft. Till the day he died, he hated the "****ing Japanese".

Thankfully, Al Gore invented the internet and now I'm able to research my Dad's ship. It's pretty impressive the things he saw and the things he was involved in. Just some ol' midwestern farmboy that turned 18 in 1942 who probably didn't want to get drafted in the Army as he saw what was going on in Europe. So he enlists in the Navy only to find himself in the largest naval battle in history. Yes, I come from a long lineage of men the exclaim "**** ME". It's our curse so we accept it and move on. I guess if I had experienced half of what my Dad had, I'd hate the "****ing Japanese" too. I guess the Ol' Man wasn't so bad after all.

parmour
01-13-09, 19:01

1820Here are a few of my dad. One in Germany in 45 and one in a quanset hut in Korea with his M1 behind him.
Later,
Parmour

Safetyhit
01-13-09, 20:29
This is a great thread. We must never forget, and what thought provoking memories these photos inspire.

My grandfather served with the 6th Marines in the Pacific during WWII. Maybe this is a good excuse to have my grandmother give me some nice old photos to contribute (and keep to frame). :)

Rembrandt
01-13-09, 21:17
Dad served in the Navy (Pacific 1945-1946) as an aviation machinist mate and tail gunner on an SBD dive bomber....(rode behind the pilot with the twin 30's). Patches on his uniform have wings (aviation) with a machine gun (aerial gunner) and a propeller (mechanic). He was also part of "Operation Crossroads" (4th Atom Bomb blast) at Bikini Atoll.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Military/sbd-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Military/Navy4.jpg

Father in-laws uniform from WWII, operated heavy equipment building air fields and the construction of the China-Burma road.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Military/Newtsuniform.jpg

rat31465
01-13-09, 22:02
My Wifes Grandfather served aboard the USS Duncan in the South Pacific.
Mr. John H Sellers Sr. Richmond Hill Ga. (Plank Owner/Original Crewman)
USS Duncan (DDR 874) Launched
February 25, 1945 in Orange, Texas

Reconfigured after WW-II this Boat also patrolled the Korean Coast and was known as the "The Grey Ghost of the Korean Coast."

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=246

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=245

These aren't original photos but some that I found while doing some research for the family. My Mother in law actually has a shoebox full of original photo's.