PDA

View Full Version : Best magwell funnel to start with on a Kimber?

Nathan_Bell
01-12-09, 21:37
Looking to start tinkering with my Kimber Classic Custom, not a series two pistol.

I do not want to cut on the pistol itself, yet. So I am looking to find a magwell funnel to install. The Kimber has a factory beveled well and I know I will be doing some cutting on the new part.

My question is; Which 'well funnel out there is a good starting point that will entail the minimal amount of metal moving to work with the Kimber, and still be a good enough quality that it will survive on a pistol that gets run.

Thanks
N

Boris
07-12-09, 13:49
I went with the Smith & Alexander on my Classic Custom Target and it's been great.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12752/Product/MAG_GUIDE

-B

Mr. Smith
07-12-09, 15:10
Nathan the S&A is the best of the worst the part is cast which makes it hard to blend well in short it is a mess to work with if you like it nice.That is my opinion i hope it helps you i have dun a lot of them thy can be nice if dun right. You will need a lot of files and sandpaper have fun.

Superior firearms
5510 Fern Vally RD,
Louisville KY,40223
502-365-2244

jtb0311
07-12-09, 22:41
Nathan the S&A is the best of the worst the part is cast which makes it hard to blend well in short it is a mess to work with if you like it nice.That is my opinion i hope it helps you i have dun a lot of them thy can be nice if dun right. You will need a lot of files and sandpaper have fun.

Superior firearms
5510 Fern Vally RD,
Louisville KY,40223
502-365-2244

What do you recommend?

8200rpm
07-12-09, 22:48
Why not just get a Kimber mag well?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4046/classiccustomdt8.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8914/magwellzi4.jpg

But, I've heard nothing but great things about S&A magwells. S&A is the only true one-piece design.

The others (Kimber, Ed Brown, Wilson, etc.) are simply mainspring housings with magwells "permanently" attached. From a funtional standpoint, I doubt that a two-piece design will ever come apart. But aesthetically, you won't have to look at that screw on a S&A one-piece magwell.

E53001
07-13-09, 01:30
Wilson has one that is held on from the pressure of your grip touching the frame when the grip screws are tightened down

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_mag_wells.asp

Lawdog-1
07-13-09, 19:59
The Kimber magwell looks alot like the Ed Brown mag well.

RyanB
07-13-09, 21:01
The best is none. Trust me, you'll have more problems with than without.

ekujustice
07-13-09, 21:49
The techware mag wells are VERY secure and are help on by the alumagrips with notches in them. I prefer the medium or small size. The large is just too big

Turnkey11
07-14-09, 15:52
Smith & Alexander is my favorite, I havent found a reason to blend the magwell as it does its job out of the box. I did have to fit the mainspring housing portion as it was either oversized or my Springfield frame was out of spec.

Boris
07-14-09, 21:12
I had to blend mine in order for the Kimber .22 LR mags to seat. No issue with the straight-walled 1911 mags, but those conversion mags have "shoulders" down near the base pads.

-B

Mr. Smith
07-14-09, 22:04
Most people do not get any advantage in reload with a magwel but thy do make the gun handle different depending on the make of the magwel.I like the weld on mag Wells but thy are so expensive that lots of people can not afford them you get much more of the good than the bad with a weld on . When you do a weld on you have all the cost of part ,labor,and refinish it just ads up fast for most people.The guns that i have don that have the weld on magwels are among some of the most beautiful guns that i do and most functional all so.

Superior Firearms
5510 Fern Vally RD. Ste 102
Louisville KY. 40223
502-365-2244

theJanitor
07-14-09, 22:51
i have 1911's with a welded on magwell, a blended S&A, and an ed brown. the welded one is by far the best, as it adds no length to the gun. the S&A adds a large bit to the part that's hardest to conceal anyway, and the edbrown would seem, on the surface, to be the best of both worlds, but isn't. certain mags don't fit, if the basepads are shaped wrong. and even with loctite, they can work themselves a little loose.

if i were to BUY a magwell right now, it would be the one from MARS. if not, save up and have EGW or similar weld on an integral magwell.