PDA

View Full Version : CTR cheek piece

josey88
01-12-09, 22:46
I have been thinking on a cheek piece for my Magpul CTR stock , but Magpul says that the CTR cheek piece (they sell 3 sizes) , if used on an AR it will interfere with the charging handle. That will be the case if the CTR stock is collapsed completely, but if the stock is extended there is no interfering at all ... So, since I shoot the rifle with the stock extended I ordered one . Is anybody using a cheek raiser with a Magpul CTR or have a different solution ? Thanks

thefelix
01-13-09, 09:39
let me know how it works for you and how hard it is to install/remove...also,if it can be attached on the right side of the stock since I am left handed...TIA

Iraq Ninja
01-13-09, 09:57
I don't see a serious need for one, and would never use one operationally. It may be fun at the range, but I don't put stuff on my weapons that may cause them not to function and all my weapons at home and abroad are set up for off range work.

If you wear body armor, then you probably will not use your stock extended and thus it is a major FAIL.

Kaos
01-13-09, 10:10
adhesive backed neoprene may give you what you're looking for. You can trim it to size and it gives you a grippier surface that is also more comfortable. I've been using this trick for a while.

CarlosDJackal
01-13-09, 11:01
I didn't even know that there were CTR cheek pieces. I guess this is an indication that I really don't need one.

josey88
01-13-09, 11:14
The cheek raiser type on the CTR stock is placed on the top of the stock , not on the side ... perfect for me because I am looking for a little more height for my cheek. They come in 3 colors and 3 sizes : 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" . The neoprene is a good idea... too late I found out after I ordered the raiser!!! Thanks to all ps BTW, I use the AR for Range practice , so I want to be comfortable ...!!!

Iraq Ninja
01-13-09, 12:27
Josey,

The LMT stock is probably one of the most comfortable ones around, and you don't need a riser for it. A bit expensive though.

Some some reason, I still love the feel of the old A1 style stocks if I don't need a collapsible one...

K9-Bob
01-13-09, 12:47
Josey,

The LMT stock is probably one of the most comfortable ones around, and you don't need a riser for it. A bit expensive though.

Some some reason, I still love the feel of the old A1 style stocks if I don't need a collapsible one...

I am also in favor of the A1 stock. It works well with my mid-length upper and gives me a solid cheek weld.:D

RichFitz
01-13-09, 16:35
I didn't even know that there were CTR cheek pieces. I guess this is an indication that I really don't need one.

The CTR cheek risers were developed at the request of an EOD unit for the SAGE M14 project that used a CTR stock.

They were never intended for AR15 use but have been useful additions on CTRs and UBRs used in applications like the Sig 556 and the FN M249.

josey88
01-13-09, 16:49
I am looking to shoot comfortably at the Range . Since I use the rifle with the stock fully extended , it is OK with me.

Bimmer
01-13-09, 22:02
He didn't ask if you all thought it was a good idea. He asked if anybody had one or if anybody had another idea.

I'm looking at the same thing. I might mount a scope on top of my carry handle (I've got an A2 receiver), and then I might need a cheek rest.

I have orangutan arms and don't wear body armor, so my AR isn't really functional without the stock all the way out.

Josey, are you SURE that the charging handle won't hit the cheek rest with the stock all the way out? It looks that way to me in the pictures I've seen, too, but I would want to be sure.

Please post once you've installed it.

Heavy Metal
01-13-09, 22:28
The CTR cheek risers were developed at the request of an EOD unit for the SAGE M14 project that used a CTR stock.

They were never intended for AR15 use but have been useful additions on CTRs and UBRs used in applications like the Sig 556 and the FN M249.

I run one on a CTR I have on a VLTOR AK reciever extension. I have a T-1 Micro on a Surefire rail and it lines me up perfect.

josey88
01-14-09, 13:51
bimmer, There is no way the charging handle will hit the cheek raiser with the stock CTR fuly extended... The handle stops 1/2" short of the stock any way, so there is no problem as far as I can tell . Of course , I can not be absolutely sure because I have not received yet , but I am pretty confident that , even if it does hit a little , which I doudbt, I can reduce it with a file ... it is plastic, so no big deal !!! In any case, rest assure that I will post pics and report on this thing as soon as I get it , most likely next week. I am sure that many people either don`t know about it , or have no clue as to how to shoot more comfortable !!! Thanks ps : I forgot to add that I also ordered the extended 0.55" butt-pad (my AR is a Mil-spec) so I wil have more extended lenght on the stock ... Boy , I am going to shoot comfortably next time I go to the range...!!!

Bimmer
01-14-09, 14:02
Hi Josey,

I only ask because the photos of it that I've seen (not installed), it looks like it hangs over the front of the buttstock (this would be good for a good cheekweld).

And nevermind all the nay-sayers here.

Please do post again once you've got it. Which size did you order?

Bimmer

josey88
01-14-09, 14:16
I ordered the 1/2 inch, size 2 . The thing is , that I added a 1/2" rail raiser so my scope would clear the rear iron sight and now the scope is too high and I need the height on my cheek to line me in perfectly.

rugerdawg
01-15-09, 13:37
I put one on mine for awhile knowing the limitations it caused. It didn't take long to discover it's a pain in the ..ss. I shoot ntch and this configuration just didn't cut it. Removing the cheekpiece requires gorilla strength. Tried the lmt sopmod and now all four of my ar's wears one. That said, it is a cheap solution but has serious drawbacks.

Bimmer
01-15-09, 14:19
I don't shoot NTCH, my cheek is well back on the fully extended buttstock.

In fact, I find the "normal" AR cheekweld a bit awkward. I'm used to USGA walnut stocks (M1 Carbine, Springfield M1A), and it's awkward to have my cheek down so low on the AR's stock. A cheek rest for a high-mounted scope should work just fine...

josey88
01-15-09, 14:42
Same here

Iraq Ninja
01-15-09, 16:25
BTW, I am not anti cheek piece. I do have it mounted on a UBR stock that is on a Saiga 308 AK project. It does work well in this case.

josey88
01-22-09, 15:35
To all : I am pleased to announce that the Magpul cheek piece 1/2 inch height(size 2) will not, I repeat , WILL NOT interfere with the charging handle WHILE the stock is fully extended . You can pull the charging handle perfectly with the stock fully extended and load the rifle ... So, if you decide to install a Magpul cheek piece on an AR , what you do is this : First , extend the stock and then rack the charging handle ; you can collapse the stock if you wish after ... you can shoot with the stock collapsed also , because there is no need to pull the handle again !!! Now I can understand why I was so uncomfortable at the range and why so many people bitch at their stocks... It is incredible the difference that 1/2 inch height will do to a stock , specially when you have a high power scope ...!!! Now I am comfortable , my cheek sits perfectly at the right height on the stock and my eye get align naturally with the scope`s eyepiece ... boy , I can`t wait to get to the range !!!! Here are a couple of pics http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh125/josey88/012-2.jpg

josey88
01-22-09, 15:37
Here is the other pic :
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh125/josey88/011-1.jpg

Iraq Ninja
01-22-09, 17:54
Josey,

We know that it works while extended. Sure, it is great for a range gun, but has no place on a work gun that has a charging handle. My mindset is all about reducing things that can go wrong.

Yes, it does feel nice, but there are many things about carbines that are not nice, yet with time and training they become a non issue.

Bimmer
01-22-09, 19:06
Josey,

Sure, it is great for a range gun, but has no place on a work gun that has a charging handle. My mindset is all about reducing things that can go wrong.

Yes, it does feel nice, but there are many things about carbines that are not nice, yet with time and training they become a non issue.

Whatever. This is a non-issue for me, at least... I have orangutan arms, and I can't shoot my rifle with the stock collapsed. The only time I collapse the stock is to make the rifle more compact to transport it.

Bimmer

josey88
01-22-09, 19:59
bimmer : Man, you said it just right... The only time I collapse the stock is to make it smaller to facilitate transport. I am not in the military, or Afghanistan ... I don`t use the rifle as a work tool or anything like it . I use it only for fun at the range , and not even as a home protection , because for that I have a few handguns that are easier and a lot faster to access !!! My point is that , for a guy like me , the cheek piece is perfect and, without a doubt , very much usable ...!!! I prefer to have a cheek piece installed on the gun , even knowing that it has the limitation of having to extend the stock to ready the gun , any time , because , like bimmer said before , the collapse stock is a non issue to me ... I have to extended it any way to shoot the damn thing in the first place , so I may as well do it comfortably !!! I did place the notice about the fitting with the stock extended , because many people have read the Magpul caution sign , and may think that the cheek piece will not fit on the AR ... Well it does fit , and it can be used as I explained before, perfectly , and, it is very comfortable to use !!! I want also to add , that it is not my intention to missled anybody about anything ...!!! If someone wants to have a rifle without any added parts that can impede its use in certain situations, it is perfectly fine .. Everybody has different parameters and measurement of things ...

Bimmer
01-22-09, 22:29
Josey,

That's really a great set-up...

Is that a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42? How do you like it?

I was looking at those for my M14. I got a Monarch 2-8x32 for it, but I'm already thinking of moving that to my AR and getting a 2.5-10 for my M14.

Bimmer

josey88
01-23-09, 09:59
bimmer : Mine is a little bit bigger than that... It is a Monarch 4-16x42 SF and it is great. I like it , very clear, solid, a lot of power, consistent zero (I have taken off the Larue mount a few times and it gets exactly to where it was before )... of course , the mount is very important too , as you know ...!!! I initially was going to get a 2.5-10x42 , but I decided to get more power for a few more dollars , so I got this one. I personally think that the Trijicon Accupoint prices are outrageous , so I went the Nikon way ...!!!

hals1
10-04-10, 16:32
adhesive backed neoprene may give you what you're looking for. You can trim it to size and it gives you a grippier surface that is also more comfortable. I've been using this trick for a while.

Where did you get it? Sounds like the answer to me.

Thanks,
Hals1

zk556x45
10-04-10, 17:13
I guess I've just never thought about needing a riser for my CTR. Read about them a bit, but got the impression they were made for Airsoft?

Whatever works and helps you get rounds on target. Good luck with it.

zk

skifast
04-29-12, 12:09
I want to add the riser to my AK, so the charging handle is not an issue.

How can I determine what size I should buy?

Heavy Metal
04-29-12, 13:08
Doesn't Larue make a CTR cheek piece that makes accomidation for the Charging Handle?

b_w_hlls
04-29-12, 21:40
Looks like Larue has you covered
www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-ctr-combo

TangoSauce
04-30-12, 00:38
It took a lot of posts before the LaRue RISR was pointed out!!!

For a scoped rifle with a CTR, RISR is the answer.