PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Loadouts

ST911
01-12-09, 22:55
How is your duty (or defensive) shotgun loaded? While comparing notes recently with some colleagues, we found quite a variety of methods in current or recent use:

Buck, exclusively
Slugs exclusively
Slugs, tube downloaded, option to select-load OOB
Buck, tube downloaded, option to select-load slug
Slugs, tube fully loaded, option to select-load OOB
Buck, tube fully loaded, option to select-load slug
Slugs and buck, alternated in magazine tube
Slug first round out of tube, buck following
Buck first round out of tube, slugs following

The methods identified represent nearly all possibilities. Loadouts in bold were most popular. One one alternated slugs and buck, a small retro agency and CLEO.

None reported using shot other than 9-pellet OOB, except for small game loads (#6-#8) for varmint control. Slugs were all 1oz foster type. Almost all buck and slugs were a low-recoil variant of Fed, Win, or Rem. All were 12ga. Most were a Remington variant.

Where LTL is deployed, almost all used dedicated guns, with a few transitionals.

What's says the membership here, and why?

Mikey
01-13-09, 01:53
With my HD 870 I have the tube full of 00 buck with 4 slugs in the speedfeed stock if needed.

However, if someone were to bust in the door, I doubt I would have the time or presence of mind to use one of the slugs...

DocGKR
01-13-09, 02:14
Depends on when and where--in general, for outdoors and around vehicles, the 870 magazine tube is fully loaded with Brenneke slugs, 00 buckshot is on side saddle; if the 870 is going to be my primary long gun for entries (not breaching), the magazine tube is fully loaded with 00 buckshot and Brenneke slugs are on the side saddle. I don't particularly like Foster type slugs...

K.L. Davis
01-13-09, 07:46
General Purpose: All 00 Buck
Vehicle Gun: Slug, Ferret, Buck, Buck, Buck
Funny Gun: Dedicated LTL

Iraqgunz
01-13-09, 08:59
My HD 870 Remington equipped with a Surefire Light is loaded with Federal Tactical 00 buckshot and my Side Saddle has slugs riding in it.

RWK
01-13-09, 09:10
Tube fully loaded with Federal Tactical low-recoil 00B w/ FliteControl wad. Six round side saddle loaded with three additional 00B and three Winchester Ranger low-recoil, 1-oz. slugs. Eagle Shotgun Patrol bandoleer loaded with six 00B and six slugs.

cfrazier
01-13-09, 10:22
Tube loaded with Fed . mag 12 pellet 00b. Sidesaddle additional buck and Fed 1.25 oz slugs

Buckshot TX
01-13-09, 21:37
I'm a #4 guy, but the extended mag is downloaded 1 round mainly for less compression on the LE mag spring left loaded for long terms, as well as selective loading purposes.
- mag is loaded w/ 4 rounds of reduced recoil 00 buck, side saddle has 3 more rounds of 00 & 3 Brenneke slugs. More of both in nifty 2 round clip-on carriers in the bedstand.

M4tographer
01-14-09, 01:29
4BK reduced recoil in the gun and 3 spares in the saddle, with 3 slugs next to them. More of both in a bandoleer/belt.

BobM
01-14-09, 09:04
My duty shotgun is loaded with slugs, more on the sidesaddle. My HD 870 is loaded with 00buck, more 00 on the sidesaddle.

TOrrock
01-14-09, 12:08
(7)Fed. LE127 00 buck in the tube, six more in the side saddle, four Winchester 1oz 2 3/4" slugs in the Speedfeed. I keep the slugs back there to segregate them from the buckshot loads.

Remington 870 Police 20" Rifle sighted barrel w/Remington mag extension and Surefire forend.

MTR7
01-14-09, 18:24
Well here is my two cents:
The M1 Super 90 gets a tube of 2 3/4 standard velocity, tradtional Breneke slugs, minus two. This give the spring a break in theory, and allows loading with a Buckshot round. Side saddle is split between the aforementioned slugs and Federal 00 flight control standard velocity. I am a civie and use this gun more for home defense ans dispatching deer that have been hit by cars and wander on to the farm.
Matt

Armati
01-15-09, 22:09
For home defense and liability purposes - beanbag, high vel rubber buck, copper platted #4 the rest of the way.

Dan Goodwin
01-16-09, 19:41
Duty 870 Tactical: 3 rounds Rem LR 00B in std. tube, 4 more on MT SureShell w/ 2 Rem LR Slug

Duty 870P: 5 rounds Rem LR Slug in ext. tube, 4 more on MTSS, w/2 Rem LR 00B.

The Tactical is for going into houses/thick woods ergo Buckshot World.

The Police is for cars and non-wooded outdoors.

Would love for my agency to switch to full power Brennekes and full power buck. I want buck to S-P-R-E-A-D and I want hard slugs to PUNCH THROUGH THINGS.

At home, my personal 870 is loaded with 3 WW Supreme 3-in. 41-pellet 4 Buck.

Chris Sanchez
01-28-09, 23:40
Home Defense: Any 00-buckshot loads that offer adequate (not necessarily tight) and consistent patterns within 10 yards, whether standard 9 pellets or the 3-inch 15-pellet load. Slugs are not needed, IMHO.

tpd223
01-29-09, 02:09
Work shotgun in the car;

Mag loaded with Flightcontrol OO buck, low recoil (fantastic patterns from the ammo)

TruBall slugs and more buck on Sidesaddle (3 each)

Bennekes in the Speefeed stock.

Submariner
01-29-09, 11:44
I don't particularly like Foster type slugs...

Would you please explain your rationale this or point me to a link where you have previously addressed it?

RWK
01-31-09, 21:39
Would you please explain your rationale this or point me to a link where you have previously addressed it?

Not Doc but, he answered it here when I asked about it: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23243.

Chris Sanchez
02-01-09, 03:37
I can only assume Dr. Roberts stated that on LEO perspective, that is, the need for penetration on hard obstacles. As a private citizen, any slugs may do as long as it is consistently accurate on ones shotgun. I use Italian-made RC Evolution Palla weighing at 33-grams (more than 1-1/8oz) and its very accurate and nicely packaged. I purchased a few boxes just in case, but for home-defense, I most likely not use them.