PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Restaurant Ban Repeal - Please sign this petition

SHIVAN
01-13-09, 09:01
I don't know if online petitions hold legal weight, and don't much care.

If you are a Viriginia resident, or maybe even if you aren't, please sign it:

http://www.petitiononline.com/VCDLrtrb/petition.html

M4arc
01-13-09, 09:03
Done.

Chooie
01-13-09, 09:33
Done, did it as soon as I got the VCDL email.

Army Chief
01-13-09, 10:19
Done. I'll actually be a VA resident soon enough.

AC

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-09, 10:57
I understand the property rights arguement that the owners use to ban the guns, but property rights aint what they used to be. It wasn't effective in stopping the government from telling you had to hire people of one color or another. When property rights comes up against civil rights, it seems like civil rights wins. And yes, self defense is a civil right.

Just start getting people to sue places that ban guns when they get mugged on teh way out. If they don't let you defend yourself, they should be responsible. That is going to happen a lot more often than someone starts shooting up an eatery.

John_Wayne777
01-13-09, 12:08
1. Signed the petition.

2. FMCDH -- The restaurant ban isn't about property rights. Restaurant owners can ban the carry of weapons in their establishment if they wish. The restaurant ban in Virginia is a provision of Virginia law that makes it illegal to carry concealed into an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. It's perfectly legal to carry openly, but carrying concealed is prohibited. That prohibition was put in at the insistence of the restaurant association when the legislature was making Virginia into a Shall-Issue state years ago.

It's a stupid provision that has caused a number of unpleasant interactions between permit holders and law enforcement after some hysterical ninny calls the cops and reports "man with a gun" because some dudes with openly carried pistols came in, sat down, and ordered some pizza. (...which literally happened in Staunton, Virginia) Like a bunch of dudes who walk in and order are there to rob the place....:rolleyes:

Nevertheless, they were REQUIRED to expose their weapons if they wanted to stay legal. The Restaurant Ban repeal is designed at eliminating that stupid law so that the law abiding aren't forced to expose their weapons and freak out the sheeple.

mark5pt56
01-13-09, 12:14
:cool:

toasterlocker
01-13-09, 12:31
Really, I'm not trying to be a downer or offend anyone here, but NO ONE takes online petitions seriously. An online petition is a purely masturbatory exercise. No offense, but if you actually want to influence anyone of any importance, you'll need a real world petition with real signatures on it. And realistically, a real petition probably wouldn't do anything either, but at least with a real petition there is a chance.

Take a look at some other online petitions and you will quickly understand why they are widely considered a joke.

SHIVAN
01-13-09, 13:13
Really, I'm not trying to be a downer or offend anyone here, but NO ONE takes online petitions seriously.

Figured it was worth my few seconds, considering an executive member of the VCDL took the time to put it together.

He might have had his reasons. I just signed, as I would for a hardcopy petition.

No sweat off my back either way.

DrMark
01-13-09, 18:21
Done!

Done. I'll actually be a VA resident soon enough.
Oh yeah? NoVA or Virginia Proper?

1SFG
01-13-09, 18:30
Signed it after I got the email from VCDL. Thought we had this thing licked last year and the fricking governor dropped the ball.

trio
01-13-09, 18:41
Done!

Oh yeah? NoVA or Virginia Proper?

sigh...i hate that...NoVA is Virginia proper....

go look at the voting results for the last election...my district in Prince William County went almost 70% for McCain....one of the highest in the state...the same cannot be said for areas around Norfolk, Blacksburg, Roanoke...all over the state...

Mark, I know you're a good guy....but we are in this together, or we aren't...I prefer together...

Oh, I signed the petition yesterday as well, sent it via email to all my friends...I was number 191...I hope the number is much, much higher now

bundoc
01-13-09, 18:55
Done.

CarlosDJackal
01-13-09, 21:12
Done and done!!

CarlosDJackal
01-13-09, 21:26
Signed it after I got the email from VCDL. Thought we had this thing licked last year and the fricking governor dropped the ball.

He didn't drop the ball. He actually threw it away!!

A few years ago, when we had a more gun-friendly Governor in place, as supposed pro-gun organization would not accept the provision specifying "no alcohol" when carrying and the bill never made it very far. Let's hope that it has a better chance of getting this ban overturned this year. JM2CW.

12oreo
01-14-09, 18:10
sigh...i hate that...NoVA is Virginia proper....

go look at the voting results for the last election...my district in Prince William County went almost 70% for McCain....one of the highest in the state...the same cannot be said for areas around Norfolk, Blacksburg, Roanoke...all over the state...

Mark, I know you're a good guy....but we are in this together, or we aren't...I prefer together...

Oh, I signed the petition yesterday as well, sent it via email to all my friends...I was number 191...I hope the number is much, much higher now
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your McCain district must have been completely surrounded by pro-Obama districts in PW County. Except for a few counties in northern, eastern and central VA (high population areas) the state was geographically in the majority for McCain. I live in Fauquier and have seen how NOVA has changed the political landscape for the state.

ReCon_1
01-14-09, 18:47
Figured it was worth my few seconds, considering an executive member of the VCDL took the time to put it together.

He might have had his reasons. I just signed, as I would for a hardcopy petition.

No sweat off my back either way.

Done for the above reason