PDA

View Full Version : Article: 9 reasons why we never sent our SOF after Al Qaeda b4 9/11

Blinking Dog
01-13-09, 12:58
As I noted on another post, I am in the middle of reading a book called The Mission, The Men and Me by a former Unit commander. Interesting book, and the author has been validated as legit by a highly respected known former Unit guy. Anyway, the author of the book referenced the article linked to below from The Weekly Standard entitled "Nine reasons why we never sent our Special Operations Forces after al Qaeda before 9/11." This is from Jan. 2004 so it is an old article, but it is still relevant in that it details why the Clinton administration did not go after UBL/al Qaeda even though those a-holes were running around blowing stuff up and had declared war on us. I found the article very interesting and eye-opening, and perhaps it might give us a refresher on the mind-set of the folks about to take office next week...

Here are the 9 reaasons, but obviously you have to read the article to get the author's full explanation:

1. The view that terrorism is a crime
2. The view tha terrorism does not present a clear and present danger, or an act of war according to the old standard of what war is
3. The Somalia syndrome
4. SOF have no legal authority to conduct clandestine missions
5. Risk aversion by leadership (see Somalia)
6. People who actually stood up and called for SOF to attack terrorists were called cowboys and made pariahs
7. Intimidation of civilians by military leaders
8. Big footprints
9. No actionable intelligence

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/613twavk.asp

30 cal slut
01-13-09, 13:44
hmm, thanks for the heads-up, will get a copy of the book.

gary bentsen in his book "jawbreaker" also alludes to the risk-aversion at the top.

1. George Tenet was a pussy.

2. Blow-job Bill was a pussy.

3. The CIA was so politically re-jiggered organizationally as to render it pussified.

R1pper
01-14-09, 08:27
hmm, thanks for the heads-up, will get a copy of the book.

gary bentsen in his book "jawbreaker" also alludes to the risk-aversion at the top.

1. George Tenet was a pussy.

2. Blow-job Bill was a pussy.

3. The CIA was so politically re-jiggered organizationally as to render it pussified.

I foresee a trend with the new Admin.

-DM-

Bad Voodoo
01-14-09, 11:15
I foresee a trend with the new Admin.

-DM-

Ya think? :rolleyes:

Risk aversion is an absolute in the fantasy world of liberal politics. Why take risks when the world should just give peace a chance?