PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 12

Voodoochild
01-13-09, 22:08
Who has a good source of these and which ones are reliable? I have seen a few of them and have heard good things about them. And was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and knows of a reputable dealer. I know Tromix is one but they are extremely back logged so anyone got some scoop?

Jager
01-14-09, 00:02
Will at Red jacket Firearms does fine work. He has about six months worth of work backed up. At least he will put you on the list/ take your order. There are others I know of but have no personal experience with their product. www.saiga12.com is a wealth of information on which builders are better, and everything else Saiga related.

MarshallDodge
01-14-09, 00:14
The only issue I have heard is that if you keep the magazine loaded for long periods it will start to deform the shells.

Dave_M
01-14-09, 20:52
The only issue I have heard is that if you keep the magazine loaded for long periods it will start to deform the shells.

Only with some shells and then only if the magazine is kept loaded in the shotgun on a closed bolt.

Dave_M
01-14-09, 20:55
Who has a good source of these and which ones are reliable? I have seen a few of them and have heard good things about them. And was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and knows of a reputable dealer. I know Tromix is one but they are extremely back logged so anyone got some scoop?

Tromix sure as hell is backlogged--Tony is no longer accepting custom work.

As far as availability of a stock gun, that I can't tell you. Stanley's Pro Shop ( http://www.stanleysproshop.com/ ) get's them in from time to time. Centerfiresystems had them for about a minute and now they're backordered until Lord-knows-when.

Echoing Jager here by recommending you visit http://forum.saiga-12.com a vast wealth of information on everything Saiga.

Ttwwaack
01-14-09, 22:20
I've been playing around with a friends for the past couple of weeks. He started with a stock gun with the 24" barrel. Another friend has one with a 19" tube. Cycled everything but the factory sights are poor for slug use.

Last week we cut the 24" down to 19" and choked it for winchokes, ported the barrel for a mid-barrel brake w/pic rail and installed a J-Point sight. It would not cycle low base dove & quail loads and I believe they forgot to bring out the slugs last Sunday. I got there late and didn't get a chance to shoot it. He is currently awaiting the arrival of a side folding stock and pistol grip conversion parts that are backordered.

As I look to the cash going out for parts, a Benelli is starting to look more affordable. I was considering one for purchase/later resale but I think I'll just go the Benelli route and be done with it.

warpigM-4
01-14-09, 22:50
it is really easy to convert one yourself and a lot cheaper to go that route .I did my conversion .I sold it last week for 1000.00 only had about 400 in the whole thing.shells will deform ,I kept a 8rd mag loaded always on a closed bolt and started seeing the front of the shell flatten down.It was a fun shotgun .but I believe I am going back to a pump it just wasn't what I wanted in a tactical shotgun

Jack_Stroker
01-15-09, 13:50
I've got a Saiga-12 that I'm doing the conversion on myself. Seems relatively simple to do yourself even with moderate or beginner level skills. The Tromix DIY trigger guard makes things much easier. I've handled and fired Tromix conversions before, and I've got to say that they are the coolest and best semi-automatic shotguns out there for the money. They not only provide extreme reliability, they are more comfortable to use and of course, using an actual magazine for the shells makes it by far the most appealing shotgun out there as far as I am concered in regard to tactical use.

Jaymce
01-23-09, 12:27
The Saiga is a great gun.

If you want one then buy it if you can find one. As others have said watch the Saiga12 forum. Guys will post who has deals on who has them. Looks like they can still be had around 600$.

As far a conversions go +1 for Will at Red Jacket. Great customer service + 5yr warranty etc. You can do it yourself but Will gets around 200$ for a basic conversion including the tapco trigger parts and refinish. If you give it some thought then it is a deal unless you make less than about 10$ per hr. Guys say they can do it in about 4 hrs but that is probably after several.

The gun overall is great and fun to shoot. I agree that the sights suck but those can be upgraded as well. Now with all the availability of aftermarket parts they are very versatile as well.

Topmaul
02-01-09, 11:17
A little birdy told me that there are 10,000 Iz-109s in the USA getting sorted and will be shipped shortly. Like with in the next few weeks, I hope it drives the price down a bit.

Gtg

Topmaul
02-01-09, 11:36
sorry double post Mods please delete

Jack_Stroker
02-01-09, 13:58
The Saiga is a great gun.

If you want one then buy it if you can find one. As others have said watch the Saiga12 forum. Guys will post who has deals on who has them. Looks like they can still be had around 600$.

As far a conversions go +1 for Will at Red Jacket. Great customer service + 5yr warranty etc. You can do it yourself but Will gets around 200$ for a basic conversion including the tapco trigger parts and refinish. If you give it some thought then it is a deal unless you make less than about 10$ per hr. Guys say they can do it in about 4 hrs but that is probably after several.

The gun overall is great and fun to shoot. I agree that the sights suck but those can be upgraded as well. Now with all the availability of aftermarket parts they are very versatile as well.

Agreed. I'm doing my conversion myself, but I may send mine out for refinishing. The conversion is easy with the right parts and takes very little actual work to get it done.

22_Shooter
02-05-09, 03:32
This is where I got mine from: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-12.aspx .

(Of course they start the free shipping, a week after I put my order in:mad: )

:D

Keep in mind, that $549 price tag is not valid with a credit card payment. Even still, you tack on the 3% for using a CC, and it's still cheaper than anywhere else on the net. More importantly, they are actually in stock!

Robb Jensen
02-05-09, 06:02
For AK or SAIGA work I'd recommend M4C member Gunfixr (aka Nate). He's also on the Saiga 12 forums http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=76

He makes a custom bolt hold open device on the gun (so it locks back when empty) and has to modify the mag tubes and follower to do that. Does a Galil style charging handle, and a custom made gas regulator.

dhrith
02-05-09, 16:22
I've seen one reworked, I'd do it myself after having seen it. Stay away from elite firearms, far, far away.

Jack_Stroker
02-05-09, 16:40
I just finished the mechanical parts of my conversion. It is really quite easy.

Nevermiss
02-06-09, 11:46
Thanks for the info about resources to order a stock Saiga.

Millenium Custom is doing some mods for tactical and open class 3 gun to the Saiga. I've heard that top dogs are giving up the Benelli's and going with Open Class Saigas from Millenium Custom for 3 gun. Should be fun to watch.

TOrrock
02-06-09, 11:56
Centerfire just got some in:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-12.aspx?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2733342&utm_campaign=Saiga%2012GA%20Shotgun%20In%20Stock%20-%20FREE%20SHIPPING

shooter521
02-06-09, 13:15
He makes a ... custom made gas regulator.

Just found that MD Arms is carrying those now; ordered two. Thanks for the link!

MGG123
02-06-09, 13:20
the armory in mesquite tx, had 5 on the shelf yesterday

MarshallDodge
02-06-09, 14:47
I've heard that top dogs are giving up the Benelli's and going with Open Class Saigas from Millenium Custom for 3 gun. Should be fun to watch.

Where did you hear this from and what are the upgrades?

I know of a couple Saigas that went down during a match. One of them was a sheared pin in the trigger group.

Jack_Stroker
02-07-09, 02:14

I know of a couple Saigas that went down during a match. One of them was a sheared pin in the trigger group.

A sheared pin in the trigger group is a minute to two minute fix tops.

MarshallDodge
02-07-09, 11:26
A sheared pin in the trigger group is a minute to two minute fix tops.
That's fine. I was wondering what they were upgrading and if it included the trigger group.

shooter521
02-09-09, 07:54

Here's a couple pics of an Open Division S12 posted by Millennium Custom on the Saiga-12 forum:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/opensaiga.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/opensaiga2.jpg

Just from observation, mods appear to include:
• Barrel ported at midpoint and internally threaded for chokes
• Tubular forearm to mimic the feel of an AR-15 free-float tube
• Magwell with magazines modified for straight insertion (vs. rock-and-lock)
• Extended mag release
• Polished bolt carrier
• Sliding safety (activated by trigger finger)
• Iron sights and side scope rail removed; low-rise mount installed in new location
• AR-15 grip adapter with Hogue pistol grip
• Polished (or new?) trigger assembly
• Rear stock adapter with M4-type stock (Magpul CTR w/ cheekpiece)

Nevermiss
02-14-09, 21:43
I picked up two from Centerfire last week. One goes out to Jack Travers on Monday to get converted to an Open Saiga 12 just like the pics above. Should be fun!!!