PDA

View Full Version : SVI / STI's

bushmasterar15
01-14-09, 03:38
Any of you have them? How do you like them? Post up some pics. I'm trying to decide on one.

Robb Jensen
01-14-09, 05:05
This is my Limited gun, it was first built as a very heavy 10mm by pistolsmith Tim Bacus of Bacus Custom. Later the original owner then built it into a .40S&W and used a Schuemann AET barrel. When I bought it from the original owner that's how it was configured. I shot it that way for a little while. Later I developed 'tennis elbow' in my left elbow. So then I started shooting much lighter weight guns like Glocks and M&Ps in competition. I later had pistolsmith Kevin Greeley of www.greeleycustom.com do some drastic work on it. He shorted the frames dust cover, did the Browning Hi-Power type cuts on the muzzle end of the slide, milled lightening ports on the top of the slide and milled off all the cocking serrations. He then milled some cocking serrations of the very back end of the slide. It shoots very flat even flatter than a 9mm Glock 17 when using my 180gr Atlanta Arms .40 long ammo (OAL=1.180") which does make Major power factor for USPSA. I'll be ditching the fiber front sight soon, I'm finding that I shoot plain black sights more accurately than I do fiber w/o being any slower especially since now the muzzle barely lifts while shooting. With fiber I sometimes see the dot and pull the trigger too soon resulting in high hits on the target because I'm focusing on the dot and not the sight alignment of the metal of the sights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns4.jpg

Powder_Burn
01-14-09, 09:44
I owned a custom STI 2011 built by the top pistolsmith of that genre. Mine was set up for defense but unfortunately it proved to be the worst gun I have ever owned. After multiple trips back to the builder and lots of wasted time/money at the range, it never ran right and had multiple issues. On the bright side, it was a really racy looking single shot pistol!

That said, many others I have been around have had great service out of their STI's. I may have just been the victim of tolerance stackups since mine was built from the parts of two low mileage donor guns. Allegedly, this should be a non-factor but I remain skeptical. With either, I would be prepared to do some tuning and troubleshooting to get it perfect.

oldtexan
01-14-09, 12:52
Any of you have them? How do you like them? Post up some pics. I'm trying to decide on one.

I have four STIs, all 9mm Tactical Light models with the alloy frame, two with 5" barrels and two with 4.15" barrels. I understand that STI makes this model only with a steel frame now. Two or three of the four had to go back to Dawson Precision for work on extractors and chambers, but then came back perfect. The four each have anywhere from 2000-3500 rds through them. I trust them as carry/home defense guns.

I just wish the mags weren't so expensive (about $64, even more if they're tuned). Also the OEM mag springs on mine seem to weaken quickly. I've replaced them twice in 3 years.

These guns are capable of great accuracy even at speed relatively speaking.

But based on my experience, if you expect them to work perfectly out of the box, you may be disappointed.

What is your anticipated use if you buy one?

And which model are you considering? I think all the 2011s are made in-house in the Georgetown, Texas plant, but some of the single-stack models (and other guns) are made by other folks in other places and are then sold as STIs.

Kevin
01-14-09, 19:14
I had the "Semi-Custom" from Brazos Custom GunWorks and shot Limited and L-10 with it for three years & 22,000 rounds. Not exactly a factory S_I. I got rid of it to help fund a couple AR's, and a slight change in my shooting "philosophy."

That thing was smooth as a baby's bottom. The only problem I ever had with it was that I kept breaking the front sight off. It digested everythin I fed it with no hiccups.

I didn't do anything special to it except for Bob's grip tratment. Even though three years later the stippling was still very nice, I probably wouldn't drop the extra $$ on it now. I just like the feel of Tru Grip that much more.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos with me but it looked like the one on his website. When I finally did sell it it was still shooting 1-ragged-hole groups at 50 feet with my reloads.

http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

chrismartin
01-14-09, 19:26
Here is the 9mm 2011 that I built:
http://web.mac.com/chrismartin/Gun_Stuff/STI_9mm_2011_files/Media/IMG_2089/web.jpg
That is an older picture, before I fit the grip safety and ambi safety.

It is probably the most accurate centerfire pistol I have. It is a fast shooter and has been 100% once I worked out which recoil spring to use.

ToddG
01-14-09, 20:52
If you want a gun for games, you can get a gun that was designed for playing games.

If you want a gun for fighting, get a gun that was designed for fighting. The 2011 does not meet that standard.

Robb Jensen
01-14-09, 21:04
If you want a gun for games, you can get a gun that was designed for playing games.

If you want a gun for fighting, get a gun that was designed for fighting. The 2011 does not meet that standard.

I 100% agree. The STI is like a Indy car. It's great on race day, but it doesn't make a good reliable daily driver. :D

ToddG
01-14-09, 21:28
I dated some chicks like that in college ...

Jack_Stroker
01-14-09, 21:50
I can't stand those huge magwells on the 1911's.

R1pper
01-15-09, 08:38

My neighbor has about 15 of em in damn near every configuration imaginable, and for every type of competition out there. That is all he will shoor for pistols. He refuses to shot anything polymer cause it "gives him a rash", which is fine by me as I am getting a G34 with custom stipled grip (along with a ton of other internal work) and 6 17rnd mags for $600 and a M&P9 FS with four mags and a burwell trigger for $400.

-DM-

sff70
01-16-09, 00:53
I enjoy my SV limited gun and my STI open gun.

Having said that, they are indeed game guns and I would never rely on them for defense purposes.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-09, 01:15
STI just brought out 2011 6inch tactical model in 10mm! As a thought excercise it sounds good;

Most powerful cartridge: 10mm
Longest barrel: 6 inches
Tactical feature: Light Rail on full dust cover
Mag capacity:17 to 22 rounds

All together it looks kind of odd.

To me it does look better than regular dust cover 6inch 1911s. They just end up looking too long in the nose.

Perfect 10 (http://www.stiguns.com/graphics/2009/01/btnPerfect10.jpg)

Pat_D
01-16-09, 06:51
I have both an SV and an STI race gun. Have to agree with everyone that these are purpose built guns for racing. Their reliability when they get real dirty starts to go down in a hurry making them less than desireable for a self defense gun. For fighting guns, I'll stick to my Glocks 1st and foremost with a 1911 not far behind.

bushmasterar15
01-16-09, 08:21
I have both an SV and an STI race gun. Have to agree with everyone that these are purpose built guns for racing. Their reliability when they get real dirty starts to go down in a hurry making them less than desireable for a self defense gun. For fighting guns, I'll stick to my Glocks 1st and foremost with a 1911 not far behind.

I have my Glocks 9mm, .40, 10mm and a XD45 so I have most of my self defense guns. I want to start shooting comp and would like to have fun playing with the big stuff.

mrwickwire
01-20-09, 22:33
I have two SVIs, and love them. If you have the cash, then I would highly recommend ordering directly from SVI. They build it exactly the way you want it, and their customer service is excellent. Most of STI guns are pretty standard, you will have to see a smith for any custom work. The STI route may be a little cheaper. If you decide to go that route, you should contact this guy:

http://www.gansguns.com/

He does not sell STIs, but will work on them. His prices are extremely reasonable, and his turnaround time is pretty fast.

VooDoo6Actual
01-21-09, 08:15
FWIW,

I have owned about 6 different SVI's.

They were all built by Sandy Strayer to Terran Butler's specs that he gave to Sandy.

They are "HOSE MONSTERS" especially w/ 140 MM tubes and ARREDONDO +2, BUT I would not use them in Combat.

RT1
01-21-09, 10:20
I have a Tripp Research gun built by Larry Vickers, when i showed him the gun at a recent class his first words to me were "Dude,does it run". The short answer is no. This is an extremely accurate gun and works great in a clean environment but running it hard in a class revealed its short comings. In subsequent classes i have run a Glock 19 with no problems and Larry just gave me a knowing smile. ;) Cheers Larry.

torrpd
01-30-09, 19:47
This is my Limited gun, it was first built as a very heavy 10mm by pistolsmith Tim Bacus of Bacus Custom. Later the original owner then built it into a .40S&W and used a Schuemann AET barrel. When I bought it from the original owner that's how it was configured. I shot it that way for a little while. Later I developed 'tennis elbow' in my left elbow. So then I started shooting much lighter weight guns like Glocks and M&Ps in competition. I later had pistolsmith Kevin Greeley of www.greeleycustom.com do some drastic work on it. He shorted the frames dust cover, did the Browning Hi-Power type cuts on the muzzle end of the slide, milled lightening ports on the top of the slide and milled off all the cocking serrations. He then milled some cocking serrations of the very back end of the slide. It shoots very flat even flatter than a 9mm Glock 17 when using my 180gr Atlanta Arms .40 long ammo (OAL=1.180") which does make Major power factor for USPSA. I'll be ditching the fiber front sight soon, I'm finding that I shoot plain black sights more accurately than I do fiber w/o being any slower especially since now the muzzle barely lifts while shooting. With fiber I sometimes see the dot and pull the trigger too soon resulting in high hits on the target because I'm focusing on the dot and not the sight alignment of the metal of the sights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunguns4.jpg

Nice looking pistol.

IPSC_GUY
03-26-09, 01:50

IS it the modular polymer frame or the close tolerances most are built to that gives you pause when considering one for self defense?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

sff70
03-26-09, 08:45
IMO, the number of cracked/broken SxI grips that I've seen would certainly give me pause to use it as a defense pistol.

But more common and serious would be problems with the magazines. Spring problems, follower problems, tuning problems.

The amount of effort required to keep the guns running in a match environment is considerable, and makes them unfit for LE/MIL use, IMO.

There's NO way I would depend on one for defense. Single stack guns are much more reliable.

I say this having shot IPSC on and off since 1997, and owning a limited gun and an open gun.

Robb Jensen
03-26-09, 09:23
STIs and SVs are like Indy cars, they're meant for racing not everyday grocery gettin'.

IPSC_GUY
03-26-09, 20:31
So the consensus is that the attempt to take the 1911 to a wide body has resulted in a pistol that is suitable only for range use?

The culprits being the double stack magazine along side the polymer frame, not being strong enough?

I get the analogy of a race car vice a DD.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-26-09, 23:31
I asked my buddy who is a USPSA GM who smiths his guns (and for others) and he looked at me like I had two heads when I gave him the 'unreliable' arguement. Now he is not a combat guy, but he flat out runs his guns. He said that he had heard stories about people saying that the STI guns get unreliable after a few hundred rounds. IIRC he was talking about at least 1000 rounds before he gets concerned about it.

Now some may be tweaked to an inch of the PF load someone is using, and maybe my buddy smiths up a gun a lot better than a line STI. Look at it this way, even though it is not life-or-death, those national-level gamers aren't going to tolerate an unreliable gun.

The OP didn't mention it, but people expanded it to 'combat' which to me means something beyond defense or even duty. That is a set of conditions we didn't talk about.

ToddG
03-27-09, 11:22
IS it the modular polymer frame or the close tolerances most are built to that gives you pause when considering one for self defense?

It's the fact that the guns do not historically run as reliably as pistols designed for combat. It doesn't matter to me whether it's because they're tight, the mags suck, or each pistol comes with two free gremlins in every box. Like gotm4 said, they're Indy cars. There are things you can do with an Indy car that you could never come close to achieving in your pickup truck ... but there are a lot of places you go that you can't get to in an Indy car.

sff70
03-27-09, 12:21
A race gun must be reliable if you're going to win matches.

There are plenty of S_I guns that are competitive and win matches. It's the dominant platform for the sport.

The guns must be tuned and diligently maintained to perform at that level, though. Especially when it comes to magazines.

The mag springs in these guns have to work very hard, and they wear out fast.

Another thing to mention is that at matches, you often see shooters taking apart mags to clean them between stages. If a mag fell onto the ground, it definitely gets cleaned.

For a duty gun, that's worn all the time, and gets dropped, smacked into door jams when in the holster, rained on, sweated on, etc. I see the plastic grip and the magazines as major problems.

The S_I modular framed guns are great for racing, but not for a carry/duty gun.

The Indy Car/Pickup truck comparision is a good way of putting it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-28-09, 00:15
or each pistol comes with two free gremlins in every box.

Now that is funny. My guns used, so I didn't get the Gremlins.

For a duty gun, that's worn all the time, and gets dropped, smacked into door jams when in the holster, rained on, sweated on, etc. I see the plastic grip and the magazines as major problems.

SVI now has a aluminum grip. $600 I think ;)

Surf
03-28-09, 01:06
I am no STI expert by any means. I am a big 1911 type and I picked up an STI tactical 5.0 for various reasons. I picked up the .40S&W because quite frankly, I have as much .40 as I wish to shoot. I have had the pistol since Oct 08'. It is not my primary shooter, but I do have about 15K rounds through it, without a hiccup. I have gone over 3K rounds twice, with only adding some lube. Of course this isn't the best thing for it but I have my reasons. I understand that the .40 S&W can be the most problematic round out of a 1911 style pistol, but I have not had a single issue in over 15K. The slide fitment is what you would expect from a semi to full custom and the lock up is dead nuts every time. Perhaps running an STI that many rounds without a full cleaning is not the norm, but it is one, if not the most accurate pistols that I own, and I would have zero issues using it in a duty, or personal defense situation.

Of course YMMV.

First day at the range, 700 rounds.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_18751.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_18161.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_22031.jpg

bushmasterar15
12-04-09, 22:56
Well finally I get to order a SVI.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-05-09, 01:39
Well finally I get to order a SVI.

What are the specs of what you ordered? Did you use the gun builder on their site?

skyugo
12-05-09, 11:18

how about something like the STI spartan?
is that carry worthy?

i've got a 45ACP obsession lately.

currently shoot and carry 9mm glocks... rather well if i may say so....

i'm curious what the 1911 hype is all about. if i get one i'm not into spending over about 800 bucks on it though....

1oldgrunt
12-05-09, 11:46
Not looking to get in a whizzzin contest but lets look at this logically rather than being biased. I have been in combat, was an LE for a time , have shot IPSC since 1988 and IDPA since it's inceptionand Steel as often as possible. I just lurk and learn rather than chime in all the time. But I do have a little experience, real world and games.

as "Surf" said you want defense/duty get a 5" stock gun and run it as such. it will be as reliable as any good quality 1911. Don't screw with the trigger, the springs or the mags and it WILL run fine. Just maintain it as any 1911, and we all KNOW 1911's DO require more maintenance. They aren't Glocks and should be treated as such. S_I mags are problematic only if they are dirty or screwed with.

Problem with race guns is smiths and the real problem , the shooters themselves keep looking for an edge! They are constantly lightening this or that. Trying new mag followers to get an extra round or have it feed smoother. Always using the lightest springs that allow the gun to function......getting the idea. I've seen guys changing one thing or another the night before a major match, and I've been to a few!

this is a major difference between a carry/combat and a *game gun. I had jim Hoag build me several hi end 1911's. The only diff between my match guns and my carry guns was.......NADA ! NOTHING!

* edited in ....what I was talking about was say a Steel gun vs say an IDPA gun. My IPSC limited guns and IDPA guns are the same as my carry weapons.

Here in TX we have an active duty ranger carrying an STI 5" stock gun.....AND he shoots them!

Get a 5" shoot it, if you don't like or trust it, sell it! They have a High resale value.

Alpha Sierra
12-05-09, 12:32
IIRC he was talking about at least 1000 rounds before he gets concerned about it.

Wow.... some track record.

I'll get concerned with my M&Ps (revolvers and semi autos) reliability around the 10K mark for the wheelguns and around the 5K mark for the semis.

Mr. Smith
12-05-09, 12:35
We like to run 2011's however you need to have a good smith you can trust to do the work on the gun. They are not reliable out of the box in our opinion. The fact is that lots of 1911 do not work out of the box. But most of us are ok with that. The 1911 is an enthusiast’s gun that is a quote from LAV.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/627/Rob%20Haught%20class/ar15%20and%202011/ImportedPhotos00003.jpg

Surf
12-05-09, 14:47
Old thread and I will add an update. I did a pretty hard T&E on the STI Tactical I posted above for the first 8 months or so after I got it. Within the first 15K rounds the only issues I had were a couple of failures of the slide to engage fully forward when stripping a new round (in battery). This only happened less than 5 times during the first 4K or so rounds and only when the gun was run for several hundred rounds and not getting what I would consider a "proper" lubing. So I when I said it ran without hiccup, I mean that the pistol not going back into battery really is not the design fault of the weapon, but rather the lack of proper maint, or lube that it should normally get.

Since I last posted, I have put around 3-4K more rounds through the pistol. I very much expected to have issues with the .40S&W and with stock magazines. Not sure if I got lucky but I am still running stock magazines, direct from Brownells and they are not giving me issues. Again, I am still amazed by this and fully expected to work over the mags. I am not as hard on the pistol and cleaning and lube comes at lower or normal round counts, or more what I would do for my higher end pistols, but the pistol seems to be in its sweet spot right now and just flat out runs, and runs very very well. I am still amazed at its accuracy and how it handles. I don't have my log book on this pistol in front of me, but I haven't had a single failure of any sort, since the slide not going back into battery when not properly lubed. And that was in the stages prior to hitting 4K or so. I actually haven't changed or replaced a thing on it from when I got it box stock.

Just to clarify, I do not use this as a duty weapon but it is without a doubt one of my favorite pistols.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-05-09, 15:39
Wow.... some track record.

I'll get concerned with my M&Ps (revolvers and semi autos) reliability around the 10K mark for the wheelguns and around the 5K mark for the semis.

Maybe we are talking about the same thing, he doesn't think about cleaning it till past 1000 rounds, in repsonse to some people, in general, cleaning after a few hundred rounds. IIRC he ran a season with out clean, just adding a little lube. When the slide starts to slow down is when he cleans them. He is a natural shooter, so he is not inclined to try to trick out guns with this or that. I'll have to ask him what his round count is before he tears a gun down and does real preventive maintenance.

I do agree that the mags are the real weak link. I got some dust in mine at the Pueblo MD class and that was a nightmare. The gun still ran, but I had a a lot failure to go into battery and I couldn't get near full capacity. For CCW probably not a real issue. I'm looking at maybe experimenting with some chomeplated or ZeroPlated mags, along with some of those teflon Arrendo followers and do some "shake and bake" tests in a zip loc bag with the dry sand/talc we have here in Colorado and see if that makes them more reliable. I'd be happy if I can get 140mm more reliable.

To me an Edge shoots great; but then again it is a heavy gun, shooting 40SW vs 45ACP, and it has that recoil master in it. All that makes it nice and forgiving.

bushmasterar15
12-05-09, 21:15
I've been using gunbuilder and emailing with Brandon. It looks like this one.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r62/bushmaster9999/limitedgun01.jpg