PDA

View Full Version : 18in. SS or 16in. SS for LMT MRP

docsprague
11-26-06, 22:42
Lately, I have been in serious debate with myself on the issue of getting a 18inch SS or a 16 inch SS for my LMT rilfe lenght MRP. After reading DocGKR thoughts in another thread I figure I would throw it out here to get people's reaction. I currently have a 14.5 inch and I love the way the gun looks but I am in the process of applying for a 10.5 inch SBR and I already have a M4gery with a 14.5inch barrel. I want something I can reach out with and put a good optic on, Leupold or Nikon, 30mm of course. I will realistically never shoot past 400 yards but I like to know I can shoot a little further. The scope probably will not be above 10 power. What do you think? I am really starting to lean toward the 16.

DocGKR
"However, currently, there are better options than either one.

Many of the best builders have moved away from the rifle length gas system on 18" barrels in favor of mid-length. There is virtually nothing that an 18" SPR can do that a 16" Recce/Recon can't do about as well, given equally good barrels and optics. Rather than a Mk12 , these days I'd go with a good 16" Recce--probably a Noveske using a LaRue rail and an NF or S&B scope in a LaRue SPR mount.

Kinda interesting that there are two schools of thought for barrel lengths: 10/14/18 or 12/16/20 and I'm tending to lean towards the latter these days."

K.L. Davis
11-26-06, 23:26
16" works great with the midlength gas system...

20" works great with the rifle length system...

If you want an 18" I would opt for the Intermediate length, it is designed for that length barrel specifically...

That said, the 16" guns are a very nice setup and will probably do everything that you want.

edwin907
11-27-06, 08:15
I have the 18"SS 1/8 and 16" SS 1/7 MRP barrels.
To me the 16"SS is a no brainer, it's the best barrel they make for the platform.
Mine is superbly accurate with almost any bullet weight.

The 18" isn't a waste though, at least in my case. It's a big heavy barrel and with the MSTN PRI QC brake there is almost no recoil. My example seems to shine with 50-55 gr match rounds, but can't compete with the 16" with the heavier loads.

http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41957

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/70869577/original.jpg

Mark LaRue
11-27-06, 13:23
Edwin907,

A moment of hijack please - how are those 2-piece rings working for you, height-wise ? We don't push those at all, but they look like just-the-ticket for your application.

Mark LaRue

Akoni
11-27-06, 14:01
Edwin907,

A moment of hijack please - how are those 2-piece rings working for you, height-wise ? We don't push those at all, but they look like just-the-ticket for your application.

Mark LaRue

Mark,

About those rings, do you think they would allow you to use the iron sights on an M14 that's in a Sage chasis?

Tony

edwin907
11-27-06, 16:07
Edwin907,

Mark LaRue

Mark, a few things about them.

They are low low for a AR15 (1.275"?) and about the only BUIS that will fit under them is the KAC 300m. Even with the MR/T 3-9X nothing else would fit. Now it would be possible to machine the center of a Troy or KAC 600m to give the slight amount of clearance that's lacking if desired, but I really like the KAC 300m.

I have ran them with the NSX 3.5-15X50 as well as the MR/T 3-9. For me they work out better with the NSX for long distance shooting due to the parallax adjustment which helps a little since it's a pretty low cheekweld and consistency can be a problem, of course I'm no benchrest type shooter and many shooters probably wouldn't have this problem.

I did have to adjust the mounts a little tighter than I usually run say, the ACOG mount , to get a consistent and repeatable zero. But still not near as tight as half the ARMS mounts I have (the other half are loose)!

These are beautiful rings, certainly didn't seem to need lapping as I have used them on the two scopes with no ill effects on either, and they are dead perfect for this application. You guys (and girls) should market these rings in an assortment of heights, there are no finer QD rings available anywhere.

Many thanks.
Edwin

C4IGrant
11-27-06, 16:37
16" SS get's my vote.

C4

knightsar
11-29-06, 14:24
16" SS for me also.:D

docsprague
11-30-06, 16:27
New question, anyone know who sells the LMT MRP SS barrels cheaper than $460s?

C4IGrant
11-30-06, 16:34
New question, anyone know who sells the LMT MRP SS barrels cheaper than $460s?

I can work with you on the price, but don't have them in stock currently.

C4

Zak Smith
12-03-06, 13:14
When I had my MRP - in the dim recesses of time - the 18" would not shoot sufficient well for me, and I thought it was much heavier than it needed to be. YMMV.

UPSguy
12-08-06, 15:03
When I had my MRP - in the dim recesses of time - the 18" would not shoot sufficient well for me, and I thought it was much heavier than it needed to be. YMMV.Zak, in brightly lit current time do you shoot a 16" MRP or did you give up on the platform?

Zak Smith
12-08-06, 15:06
I sold off the MRP almost two years ago. I had both 18 and 16" barrels.

UPSguy
12-08-06, 15:39
IM inbound Zak