PDA

View Full Version : Hedging against a possible AWB?

faithmyeyes
01-15-09, 10:02
I'm about to place an order for my first AR, with an expected lead time measured in months. I don't really have any firm idea what the likelihood is that an AWB will be resurrected and passed before I can actually get my hands on the rifle, but I know it's within the realm of possibility. At some point I'd like to have a second AR as well, simply because I have a young son coming along behind me who I expect I'll be teaching to shoot. Two ARs aren't in the budget right now, though, unfortunately.

I don't entirely understand all the ins and outs of the AWB, either as it was in '94-'04 or as re-introduced in '07. Is it a sufficient hedge against the restrictions (assuming a new AWB doesn't change radically) to pick up a couple of reasonable-quality stripped lowers ASAP, then build them up post-AWB if necessary? Or is more than just the registered lower (and full-cap mags, of course) likely to be impacted by an AWB?

javentre
01-15-09, 10:42
Without the text from a bill which has the potential to become law, you're just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

decodeddiesel
01-15-09, 11:10
Well let me pull out my Magic 8 Ball and tell you...

"Outlook Hazy"

Sorry guess you're out of luck my friend.

CCK
01-15-09, 12:24
that would be my recommendation.

If they pass an AWB start using ATF agent targets at the range.

Army Chief
01-15-09, 12:53
None of us really know when we'll see another, more permanent AWB, but we tend to be in general agreement that such a thing will likely happen at some point. The problem is that, without knowing who will sponsor it, or the circumstances under which it is passed, it it impossible to make an accurate prediction with respect to what such a bill might say.

Our best guess, then, is that it will mirror the 1994 ban structurally, but will be carefully edited to eliminate potential loopholes -- and adding a single word ("assembly") could instantly take the stripped receiver hole card out of your hand forever. Is it worth hedging your bet with at least one receiver? Yes, it almost certainly is. Will that be a guarantee of anything once a renewed AWB is passed? Perhaps not, but it's probably still a chance worth taking.

AC

skyugo
01-15-09, 12:57
can we start a special forum for these threads? :o

faithmyeyes
01-15-09, 14:14
Sorry. I'm not trying to put you to sleep, and I know lots of people are talking about it. Fact is, during the first AWB, I was one of the "whatever, why would anyone need those anyway" sheep, so I'm coming late to the party and trying to remedy my ignorance.

I understand that nobody can say for certain how a new AWB would be worded, although I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that one had already been written up and was being waved around every now and again.

I also realize that those of you who already have 18 ARs, 23 AKs, 6 FALs, and a couple M82s for when your belt-feds break probably don't really give a shit either way. You're still the best source of information newbies like me have, because you've had direct experience in this world for so much longer.

Our best guess, then, is that it will mirror the 1994 ban structurally, but will be carefully edited to eliminate potential loopholes -- and adding a single word ("assembly") could instantly take the stripped receiver hole card out of your hand forever. Is it worth hedging your bet with at least one receiver? Yes, it almost certainly is. Will that be a guarantee of anything once a renewed AWB is passed? Perhaps not, but it's probably still a chance worth taking.
Thank you. Anyone else?

faithmyeyes
01-15-09, 14:14
Sorry. I'm not trying to put you to sleep, and I know lots of people are talking about it. Fact is, during the first AWB, I was one of the "whatever, why would anyone need those anyway" sheep, so I'm coming late to the party and trying to remedy my ignorance.

I understand that nobody can say for certain how a new AWB would be worded, although I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that one had already been written up and was being waved around every now and again.

I also realize that those of you who already have 18 ARs, 23 AKs, 6 FALs, and a couple M82s for when your belt-feds break probably don't really give a shit either way. You're still the best source of information newbies like me have, because you've had direct experience in this world for so much longer.

Thank you. Anyone else? :D

a1fabweld
01-15-09, 17:23
Smart ass shit aside, I understand your concern. I am in California & I'm more paranoid than the masses of the rest of the country regarding another AWB. I bought plenty of guns in 2008 in preparation for Obama's rise to power. In fact, I had purchased 95% of everything on my wish list before the elections. The way I look at it is buy now all that you want/can, & if there is a ban, you'll be good. If there is no ban, then you have a bunch of cool guns that are going to do nothing but go up in value. Good luck!

decodeddiesel
01-15-09, 19:10
Everyone's worried, OK? Do you have any idea how many of these threads pop up HOURLY on every single gun board on the internet? The bottom line is no one knows, we can all speculate but NO ONE knows.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-15-09, 20:05
Everyone's worried, OK? Do you have any idea how many of these threads pop up HOURLY on every single gun board on the internet? The bottom line is no one knows, we can all speculate but NO ONE knows.

You could close the thread on this post. While the question is on everyones mind, the answer is in no ones.

lud3au
01-15-09, 22:25
There are too many current problems going on to have a ban---
A lot of companies would be out of business-
A lot of people will lose their jobs-
I don't see it happening anytime soon-

Medicine Calf
01-16-09, 00:16
Damn, I wanted to stay out of these kind of threads but....difficult times foster inexplicable and irrational behavior in the the exercise of power.

Honu
01-16-09, 01:39
if you want to hedge yourself ?
I would say diversify just like stocks dont put all your eggs in one basket ?

why not buy what YOU can use NOW and ENJOY now :)

I would say buy a nice gun you want and a few parts and some ammo and mags then repeat with a nice handgun then repeat again with the next one you want

lets say you have 4K to spend ?
myself give me once nice LMT or Noveske with optic a few parts and 5000 rounds and 10 or so mags that might be up or down around 4K

over say 10 lowers and 100 mags and say 2000 rounds ?

to the OP like others say who knows ?

me I would rather have some ammo than some extra lowers and only own one rifle

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-09, 09:35
Don't forget about handguns, hicap 9 and 40 mags, and guns.

Watch out about stripped lowers. In the last ban it had to be a complete gun at the time of the ban. Incomplete lowers or rifles weren't AWs at the time of the ban, so they could not be built into AWs. With stripped lowers it would have been on you to prove it was an AW before the ban. That said, that is the last ban, and I don't even know if anyone got tagged that scenario. They could just make it that you can't make a gun that takes over 10 rounds, and you can't make mags over 10 rounds. Who knows what craziness will, or even might happen.

swampfox
01-16-09, 18:54
Join the NRA. That could help US.

MMcfpd
01-17-09, 00:14
First, as has been said, nobody can give meaningful advice about law that does not yet exist.

But secondly, while Obama's history regarding 2nd Amendment (and 1st Amendment for that matter) civil rights is worrisome, you've got to remember that first and foremost he's a politician. And he's a politician who a.) has been backpedaling on his campaign promises since the election and b.) has undoubtably taken notice that millions of Americans have been voting in support of 2nd Amendment rights with their wallets ever since November 5th.

Army Chief
01-17-09, 03:13
...while Obama's history regarding 2nd Amendment (and 1st Amendment for that matter) civil rights is worrisome, you've got to remember that first and foremost he's a politician ...

An interesting and entirely relevant point. I hadn't considered it quite in these terms, and if anything, it serves as a poignant reminder that we must make our voices heard if we are to have any hope of retaining the rights we now enjoy.

AC

Patrick Henry
01-17-09, 03:57
Yes, Obama has a lot on his plate when he takes office and a new AWB may be on the back burner. But I would not bet against the possibility of him and Biden trying to secure an early legislative victory via gun control. The Demoncrats have a large majority in the HOR this term. Couple this with a media that will be orgasmic with ecstasy over even the smallest accomplishment the new administration can achieve, and you have the makings for swift enactment of new gun legislation that will be wildly popular with the political left.

Like you, I have many parts that are going to take up to six months to arrive. But to be safe, I am currently trying to secure other parts ASAP. If I get "stuck" with an extra rifle assembled, I can't lose much money, right? If I have to sell it, I may even make a profit. Just convince your wife that investing in rifles is better and safer than putting money in the stock market right now. ;)

Iraqgunz
01-17-09, 04:12
This has been discussed here before ad nauseum.

1. There is no way for anyone to know if a stripped lower was completed one week or 1 hour after any potential ban that could be put into place. It would be all but impossible. If all the parts were sitting in my work area and I then started assembling them 5 minutes after the ink dried THERE IS NO WAY for anyone other than myself to know this.

2. The burden of proof lies with the prosection to prove that you committed a crime and not the other way around.

3. Almost any gun could take over 10 rds and there would almost certainly have to be a grandfather clause let there would be lots of court challenges and litigation to follow (maybe even a class action type of suit). We alread had the 10 rd mag thing before with the obvious exemptions of LEO and .MIL/GOV.

Don't forget about handguns, hicap 9 and 40 mags, and guns.

Watch out about stripped lowers. In the last ban it had to be a complete gun at the time of the ban. Incomplete lowers or rifles weren't AWs at the time of the ban, so they could not be built into AWs. With stripped lowers it would have been on you to prove it was an AW before the ban. That said, that is the last ban, and I don't even know if anyone got tagged that scenario. They could just make it that you can't make a gun that takes over 10 rounds, and you can't make mags over 10 rounds. Who knows what craziness will, or even might happen.

Caeser25
01-17-09, 09:01

TOS???

Jay Cunningham
01-17-09, 09:06
I agree, this is getting beyond ridiculous. I am going to do some General Discussion housekeeping today - whoops, I mean tyrannical censorship...

;)