PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a shotgun barrel?

pstrauss
01-15-09, 11:15
I have a 12ga 870 Express Super Magnum that has served me well for a couple years of hunting duty. This year I'm going to start shooting some 3 gun matches and I plan to use this 870.

The 870 Super Mag will become my competition shotgun and primary home defense tool. One day down the road I might get a Benelli M4 for matches and keep the 870 in a defense configuration.

The barrel is generally too long and I would prefer to put some rifle sights on it. I could buy a new Remington barrel with rifle sights but I haven't been able to find a barrel that can handle 3.5" shells. I won't shoot 3.5" shells in matches but I'd like to load them for defense.

You guys that have cut barrels before, do you have an tips and tricks? The original barrel is ribbed so I plan to cut the barrel between the rib posts and then cut the rib back to the next post. Cutting the barrel and ribs to different lengths is intended to leave room on the barrel to mount the front sight post. I'm planning to buy the Trijicon ghost ring sights and I think I need to mount the front post directly to the barrel and not on a rib.

I have a mill, a drill press, a band saw, a chop saw, several welders and a plasma cutter. I think the band saw will make the cleanest cut with the least heat. How should I finish the end of the barrel? Just file the burrs off?

What is the official way to measure barrel length?

Anything I'm not thinking of here?

Thanks for any help. If anyone has pics of a barrel cut down project I'd be really grateful.

Phil

Ttwwaack
01-15-09, 14:00
Barrel length can be determined by measuring the inside bore from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel.

Are you going to re-choke the barrel? If so, the choke reamer will square and crown the end of the barrel. I did an old 870 about 15 years ago and cut it about 1/16" past a vent rib post. XS Sights makes a night sight for the Remington shotgun ribs that installs over the bead.

Storydude
01-26-09, 09:00
Only advice I can give is to add an extra .5" to whatever barrel length you want. Really sucks to cut a barrel and then find it's at 17 3/4"

canucklehead
01-26-09, 09:50
Use a pipe cutter - much nicer cut than bandsaw/hacksaw/cutoff saw.

thopkins22
01-26-09, 10:31
I won't shoot 3.5" shells in matches but I'd like to load them for defense.

I really don't think you want to. Leave the 3.5" stuff for geese and turkeys. There are a few professionals on here that have fought with shotguns, maybe they'll disagree with me...but I don't think so. In a home defense scenario it's just punishment and makes getting back on target that much slower without much benefit.