PDA

View Full Version : Don't be this guy!!!

losbronces
01-15-09, 11:41
For those with CCW permits:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5315514

Man hurt when gun blasts toilet
By Ben Winslow

Deseret News

Published: January 15, 2009
CENTERVILLE — A man was wounded by shrapnel from a toilet when his concealed weapon accidentally went off while he was using the bathroom, police said.

It happened Tuesday at the Carl's Jr. restaurant at 385 N. 800 West. Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun. The man, who has a valid concealed weapon permit and was lawfully in possession of the gun, had it in a holster inside his pants.

"While pulling his pants up the gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor," Centerville Police Lt. Paul Child said Wednesday. "When the gun hit the floor, it went off, and the bullet struck the toilet, shattering it and sending sharp pieces of porcelain flying."

The man was hit by some porcelain shards, lacerating his arm. No one else was injured, but an employee of the restaurant in the next-door women's restroom heard the gunshot and panicked.

"She was shaken, she was upset and was complaining of some chest pain," Child said.

The man walked into the restaurant area, holding his wound and asked an employee to call 911. Police and paramedics responded to the call of shots fired inside the restaurant and ended up treating the man for the cuts to his arm. The woman also was treated at the scene.

"In this case it appears that the accident would have been prevented if the man had used a secure holster," Child said. "A good quality firearm also should not fire if it is dropped."

The man was not cited, but police took the firearm for safekeeping while they finish their investigation.

"He was shaken up. We felt it was prudent to secure the firearm," Child said. "He'll be able to have the firearm released back to him."

I can't believe he isn't being charged with anything, this could be reckless endangerment or at least discharging a firearm within city limits.

g5m
01-15-09, 12:00
And here is another sad story about CCW's:
http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59801

M4arc
01-15-09, 12:14
And here is another sad story about CCW's:
http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59801

Wow! I would like to know more about that.

bkb0000
01-15-09, 12:39
no kidding- the only news report i read was that two families got in a fight and one guy shot three people... like we're talking about gang bangers at a projects house party or some crap.

30 cal slut
01-15-09, 12:52
it was a real crap shoot.

nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Iraqgunz
01-15-09, 14:02
There has got to be more to the AZ story. As for the Carls Jr. idiot, I was under the impression that Kahrs had a firing pin block. So either it failed or this idiot tried a Plaxico Burris stunt to catch it before it hit the ground and pulled the trigger.

dbrowne1
01-15-09, 14:13
"In this case it appears that the accident would have been prevented if the man had used a secure holster," Child said. "A good quality firearm also should not fire if it is dropped."

Ding Ding Ding. This police LT is smarter than the average bear. I wish more were like him.

I too find it hard to believe that the Kahr went off just by hitting the floor. I'm betting there was some sort of fumblerooskie going on that lead to the trigger hitting something.

As for Mr. Hickey, I don't trust stories that are filtered through police agencies and then filtered through a reporter. If it was a dispute between two families at a daycare center, who cares. The only question is whether he was justified. If the "dispute" lead to him getting aggressively beaten by 3 people (who just happened to be from the same family and just happened to be at a daycare center) and he had no other reasonable way to keep from being beaten into a cripple, I don't see a problem.

g5m
01-15-09, 14:23
Wow! I would like to know more about that.

Sorry, couldn't find a lot more. Googling brought up a few slight additions of information, though.

M4arc
01-15-09, 14:30
There has got to be more to the AZ story. As for the Carls Jr. idiot, I was under the impression that Kahrs had a firing pin block. So either it failed or this idiot tried a Plaxico Burris stunt to catch it before it hit the ground and pulled the trigger.

I'd bet he tried to catch it as it was falling.

Gentoo
01-29-09, 23:36
Update, on the toilet at least:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11574397

What should you do when your toilet dies in the line of "doody"? Have a funeral, of course.

On Friday at 10 a.m., the Carl's Jr. restaurant in Centerville will have a "moment of silence" for the potty that was destroyed last week when a patron's handgun fell out of the holster and fired as he was hitching up his pants.

The bullet shattered the toilet and sent sharp shards into the man's arm. The 26-year-old, who had a concealed-weapons permit, was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

But the "john" was destroyed, and the national hamburger chain is feeling the loss. "By all accounts, it was a good toilet; reliable and well liked by customers and crew members alike," wrote Brad Haley, executive vice president
blasted commode
The late, well-liked and oft-visited deceased. (Tribune file photo)
of Carl's Jr. marketing, in a tongue-in-cheek note posted on the company's Facebook page.

"It seems only fitting to have a formal service to let everyone say goodbye to such a critical member of our team that was in very close contact with the public each and every day," Haley eulogized. "Our thoughts go out to the surviving men's room urinal and porcelain sink. We only hope that the new toilet can fill the void left by its predecessor, but so far it hasn't made much of a splash."

The outpouring from the community has been overwhelming, said Carl's Jr. manager Christian Martinez. "We have received e-mails and cards from all over the country expressing condolences for our loss," he said. "People will have the chance to say
Advertisement

goodbye in their own way at the memorial service."

Employees at the restaurant, 385 N. 800 West, will hand out bottles of KaboomŪ Bowl Blaster toilet cleaner to the first 50 funeral attendees, he said, as "it was the toilet's favorite.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2009/0129/20090129_081251_toilet_200.jpg

bkb0000
01-29-09, 23:41
guns dont kill people, guns kill toilets.

Robb Jensen
01-30-09, 07:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/smilies/Imcallingbullsh.jpg

I agree with Iraqguns Kahr pistols have firing pin safeties which keep the pistol from firing if dropped.

More than likely he was playing with it with his finger on the trigger and had an ND not an AD.

bullseye
02-01-09, 11:17
this happened to a co-worker last summer,,fumbled glock 17,caught by trigger---kaboom with nothing injured but pride.----let them fall!

HAMMERDROP
02-01-09, 13:37
In 1995 I was the 'Key Accounts Manager' at a security firm mostly night watchmen - key turners some armed most not.
This one moron who if you had seen him you'd realize his
'big bones'/thyroid problems lead to his 300lb+ disorder or he just never missed a chance to stuff his pie hole. He was sitting in a small guard shack just a door a chair and of course his television and he is 'reclined' playing with his .38 snub and when he was attempting to level his chair his massive weight forced him to seek leverage which he found by jamming the muzzle into the seat between his legs and 'BLAM' shot himself in the foot at an unarmed post and tried to get workcomp...
Some people should never be allowed to handle a pistol, and as it turned out the gun was 'hot' since the owner of the company did a thorough investigation after the fact to cover his butt since the morons family was suing him and found this guy was using an incorrect middle initial which an NCIC discovered and he should have never been given the job in the first place - typical BHO supporter lies lies lies ...

Michael

MeanRider
02-01-09, 23:13
The truly sad part about this is that people will remember the idiot far longer than next guy who actually stops a crime.