PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 buttstock swap

Mainiac
01-15-09, 21:33
I have a collapsable buttstock/wspring and buffer for an AR-15, I would like to use it on my AR-10. Are the two interchangeable? Thanks in advance!!

javentre
01-16-09, 07:19
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/slash1969/Buffers/BufferTable.jpg

m4fun
01-16-09, 21:41
Not as easy unless you buy one of Slash's AR10 buffers.

The issue is the AR10 BC is longer than an AR15/clone BC, hence when trying to cycle a round, lock to the rear, etc you cannot get the BC back all the way. Armalite's first foray into this after the last AWB expired had them selling a model with the longer buffer tube(for more $)

Slash should have posted the lenge of a Colt/Clone AR15/AR10 buffers and buffer tubes. Slash's are shorter(and heavier) to allow use of a regular/generic carbine buffer tube. You can get in touch with him and he can square you away.

MisterWilson
01-16-09, 22:11
Check me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding:

The AR-10's receiver extension is slightly longer than an AR-15's tube.

It uses a different spring & buffer, available from Armalite.

They also use commercial diameter tubes, only compatible with commercial diameter stocks.

The lock plate & lock nut however are compatible.

You don't mention the tube so assuming your AR-10 has a tube, if your AR15's stock is of the commercial diameter, that will work. Your spring & buffer on the other hand will not.

Sound about right?

m4fun
01-17-09, 07:50
The Armalite "carbine" tube is slightly longer to accomidate the longer BC. If you have a factory Armalite with an Armalite collapse stock, you can simply replace the stock - no buffer tube/buffer change necessary. I would "assume" commercial and not milspec diameter.

If you want to use your old Bushmaster commercial tube and stock from a 5.56 AR15, etc. because your Armalite has a full stock and buffer, you then need to get the shorter/heavy buffer. I thought I got my "shorty" buffer from Slash, but I notice his are listed at 3.25" not the 2.6" mine is, except for whay he is showing for the SR-25 Carbine/DPMS .308 Carbine. If he doesn't sell the shorter buffer, you have to get the Armalite tube.

Here is a pic that will hopefully explain better than me comparing the shorty/heavy buffer with a standard AR-15 H Buffer:

Todd.K
01-18-09, 11:29
You will need these parts to properly convert your AR-10 rifle to a carbine.

Armalite AR-10 receiver extension (Commercial Dia) or Vltor AR-10 receiver extension (Mil Dia)

H3 buffer

The action spring is the same for rifle and carbine.

m4fun
01-18-09, 16:05
Just came across Slash's add that would allow you to use other carbind buffer types than Armalites with his shorter/heavier buffer:

"CAR-10 buffers allow you to use any AR15 collapsing stock (MagPul/LMT/VLTOR/CavArms/RRA/etc) on your AR10, SR25 or DPMS .308 rifle. Standard carbine length stocks cannot be installed on these rifles without a CAR-10 buffer. This is strictly a 'Drop-In' part, no gunsmithing or additional modifications are required. Anyone can install a CAR-10 buffer in less than a minute.

CAR-10 buffers are shorter and heavier than standard carbine buffers. Constructed of 303 Stainless Steel with a sliding Tungsten anti-bounce counterweight. Heavy buffers reduce felt recoil for the shooter, and minimize wear and tear on the gun. Some users have reported that the CAR-10 buffer significantly increased the reliability of their firearms."

Moderators - hope posting this link is OK:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=239147