PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grip Reduction

mattpittinger
01-16-09, 09:08
I would like to hear some thoughts on glock grip reduction. I am considering doing it my self, but if yall think it would be better to send it off please let me know. Other than that I would just like to hear whether you like it or not, and the advantages / disadvantages of this. Also any pics. would be great just to give me some ideas.

Jack_Stroker
01-16-09, 09:23
The only disadvantage to grip reduction is that it could potentially reduce the durability of the weapon. However, the upside is that you can make the weapon feel much more comfortable in your hands. As for doing it yourself, I'd say that your skills at doing things like that need to be evaluated by you objectively. Do you really think you can do it and not have it turn out like crap? If so then go to it. If not send it off.

mario
01-16-09, 09:56
#1. A great deal of research and planning went into Glocks design and the ergonomics were designed correctly so unless there is an issue with your hand, it GTG as is. It works fine for millions of men and women operators around the world. When is the last time you you heard of someone doing a grip reduction on a Browning HP or any metal frames gun? If the gun doesn't feel right in your hand I'd suggest you buy something else.

#2. It will be worth considerably less if you decide to sell it.

#3. FWIW my suggestion is to leave it stock

RyanB
01-16-09, 10:00
Mario I have a BHP with a modified grip. Glocks are known to be hit or miss with ergonomics. I'm glad they work for you. For me, they point low, have horrible finger grooves and if I don't have a beavertail I get stripes on my hand. My lone Glock has a Robar-ized grip and shoots much better for me than a similar large framed Glock. OP, if you want to, do it. It's a $450 piece of polymer not a priceless artifact.

I'm all for taking a gun and hacking at it until it submits to my will.

John_Wayne777
01-16-09, 10:29
I would like to hear some thoughts on glock grip reduction. I am considering doing it my self, but if yall think it would be better to send it off please let me know. Other than that I would just like to hear whether you like it or not, and the advantages / disadvantages of this. Also any pics. would be great just to give me some ideas.

Glocks do not fit everyone well and the wide realization of this truth led to lots of people offering custom grip work on them. I've handled grip mod jobs on polymer guns done by Robar (done on a few Glocks) and Bowie Tactical. Both were significant improvements over stock, in my opinion.

The advantages of a grip reduction is making the Glock fit you better. The disadvantage is cost and permanent modification of the weapon. I don't really know what a mod like a Bowie grip job does to the resale value of the weapon...but that's partially because I don't usually see people getting rid of them once they get the weapon to fit them better.

mattpittinger
01-16-09, 10:40
I could really care less about resale value, I dont sell my guns. I mainly shoot sigs an 1911's, but I have lots of glocks and I want to be able to shoot them better or at least make them feel better in my hand. I feel that I might like them more if it wasn't for that big ol' hump in the back.

Gutshot John
01-16-09, 11:49
I'm not sure I subscribe to the notion that you should just pick something else other than a Glock if you like every other feature except the grip. I tried a lot of other things that ostensibly fit my hand better, but I didn't shoot nearly as well as a Glock. In the end, I chose a reduction to compensate for Glock's only apparent weakness (no handgun is perfect) and I'm very happy with the performance.

As for the hump in the back, in getting rid of it, I think you drop the muzzle a degree or two that makes the Glock an excellent pointer. People customize firearms all the time. If a production model worked perfectly for everyone, than forums like this wouldn't even be necessary. It can weaken the frame so you have to have someone who knows what they're doing. That said a little reduction goes a long way.

You can get a customized Glock for less than stock models of other high-end manufacturers.

YVK
01-16-09, 12:44
#1. A great deal of research and planning went into Glocks design and the ergonomics were designed correctly so unless there is an issue with your hand, it GTG as is. It works fine for millions of men and women operators around the world. When is the last time you you heard of someone doing a grip reduction on a Browning HP or any metal frames gun? If the gun doesn't feel right in your hand I'd suggest you buy something else.

#2. It will be worth considerably less if you decide to sell it.

Respectfully disagree with just about everything above. I do agree that a lot of research goes into design. The goal, though, is to fit many hands good enough, not few hands perfectly. Glock doesn't care about my individual preferences; only I do.

Grip reductions are done on metal framed guns. It is a modification that is offered by many gunsmiths. Ned Christiansen incorporates this feature in a lot of his 1911. I have one of his guns, and I like what this feature offers.

I also own a Glock 19 with grip reduction by David Bowie. I considerably prefer grip-reduced Glock over stock. Again, it is an individual preference, but a strong one.

As far as resale value is concerned, considering that Ned doesn't accept orders and waiting time for David is almost 8 months, I am positive that I can not only get my money back, but even make a profit. Only I am not selling...

diving dave
01-16-09, 13:09
I carried a Glock 21 for years on duty, and the grip always bugged me. I sent it off to Arizona Response Systems for a grip reduction. It made a big difference. The backstrap was straightened out, under cut the trigger guard a bit and refinished.Then when I was happy with that, I dumped it for a 1911....:D

wargasm
01-16-09, 13:11
Let ROBAR do a tricked out CCF frame (alloy or ss) for you! Check out the Jan/Feb 2009 American Handgunner issue. Aloha!

MX5
01-23-09, 07:15
I've carried customized 1911s for over 30 yrs. & & one mod I use is a flat mainspring housing. Even though a 1911 so modified is GTG for me, I've found that I strongly prefer a slimmer, reduced 1911 grip.

I have large hands & tried very hard to accept the Austrian whore as-is, right from the box. I found that decades of training, practice & muscle memory associated with 1911s, causes the whore's front sight to index higher during the draw stroke. Also, the flesh of my dominant hand, between the thumb & forefinger, rides up over the rear of the Austrian frame causing severe lacerations & leaking of fluids before the first magazine is expended Choices had to be made & I chose to reduce the Glock grip frame.

I've known David Bowie a long time & remember when he first started modifying these. He does first-rate work & is strongly recommended. However, I've been modifying my own weapons since the mid '70s & a grip reduction is easily accomplished with the right combination of knowledge, good judgment, tools & materials. Mine have a very fine stippling to reduce clothing & flesh abrasions for CCW use. The end result is a whore i can live with without my having to learn new tricks - the old tricks still work just fine with this old dog.

MX5
01-23-09, 07:20
Here's a first year production G19 with grip reduced & frame shortened to G26 length, a G22 reduced & shortened to G27 length & a reduced G19. The second photo is a closer view of the full sized G19. Not great photos, but you get the idea.

Limey-
01-24-09, 15:22
Did my own on a 19. Highly recommended. Heat and roll to flatten backstrap. Dremel and soldering iron.

I have done few for other guys in my Department. Just take your time.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album//00000694/glock_19_3.jpg

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album//00000694/glock19.jpg

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album//00000694/glock_19_2.jpg

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 16:34
Limey,

Looks great. Do you have a set of good instructions? I know you made it seem pretty simple, and I think I get your general idea. I'd just like a formal set of instructions rather than guessing.

Thanks in advance,
J.

USMGoldenEagle
01-24-09, 20:12
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a gun that didn't feel right in their hands, but if you have a Glock and you can't maintain a decent grip then I would either sell the gun or attempt to have it modified.

When I purchase a pistol, the first and most important factor for me is how comfortable the gun feels in my hands. Sounds like a lot of people buy guns because they "look cool" or they are "fan boys" of the brand. At least there are options out there though for modifying guns. Personally, I would have put my money on the purchase of a handgun towards one that fit right to begin with.

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 20:22
When I purchase a pistol, the first and most important factor for me is how comfortable the gun feels in my hands.

Actually my experience is quite the reverse and I know that many others have experienced the same. I've bought lots of guns that felt great in my hand only to shoot like shit.

I try other guns, but then I keep coming back to the Glock, which is otherwise perfect for me with a slight grip reduction.

People have been customizing handguns for a long time. If a production pistol fit everyone's hand a lot of gunsmiths would be out of work.

Steel_Weasel
01-24-09, 20:33
Buy an M&P and be done with it.

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 20:40
Buy an M&P and be done with it.

Actually I did...then I traded it for another Glock 17.

USMGoldenEagle
01-24-09, 22:30
I own a Glock 23, and I personally love the grip as is.

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 22:54
I own a Glock 23, and I personally love the grip as is.

I'm quite sure that you and I have different physical makeups.

When speaking of any handgun, one size does NOT fit all.

The Glock is perfect for me in just about every other aspect. A minor modification, especially one I can do myself, is a small price to pay.

I have "little girl hands". ;)

Limey-
01-25-09, 01:58
Limey,

Looks great. Do you have a set of good instructions? I know you made it seem pretty simple, and I think I get your general idea. I'd just like a formal set of instructions rather than guessing.

Thanks in advance,

Not rocket science. I recommend you practise on an old glock box first.
I slowly heat the backstrap with a candle or heatgun and roll it until the
backstrap flattens out a little.

I use a dremel with sandpaper attachment. take it slowly. Lastly a soldering iron with a fine point for a little 'Seurat' action. Its not tough but take it slowly.
There are a bunch of threads on GT about self smithing ther Glock.

As for selecting a different handgun. Many folks are issued the Glock, fits or does not fit you, tough. Adapt to it or adapt it to you.

Gutshot John
01-25-09, 07:44
Not rocket science. I recommend you practise on an old glock box first.
I slowly heat the backstrap with a candle or heatgun and roll it until the
backstrap flattens out a little.

I use a dremel with sandpaper attachment. take it slowly. Lastly a soldering iron with a fine point for a little 'Seurat' action. Its not tough but take it slowly.
There are a bunch of threads on GT about self smithing ther Glock.

Excellent. I've done a little bit with a heat gun to soften some stippling.

You use the dremel to radius under the trigger guard and remove other material?

Limey-
01-25-09, 08:57
Correct light touch...a little goes a long way. Do not worry if it looks rough after
the dremel. It will look pretty good once stippled.

Gutshot John
01-25-09, 09:10
Correct light touch...a little goes a long way. Do not worry if it looks rough after
the dremel. It will look pretty good once stippled.

One of the things I was considering doing was remove some material from the grip base of a G17, ideally to open the mag well as well as accommodate G19 mags.

So long as I don't remove material from the circumference I shouldn't weaken the frame?

Jack_Stroker
01-25-09, 12:57
One of the things I was considering doing was remove some material from the grip base of a G17, ideally to open the mag well as well as accommodate G19 mags.

So long as I don't remove material from the circumference I shouldn't weaken the frame?

Something isn't right here. The Glock 17 is a full sized 9mm pistol. The Glock 19 is the compact version of the same gun. Why would you want to use G19 mags in a G17? I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant, but I'm confused none the less.

Gutshot John
01-25-09, 13:21
Something isn't right here. The Glock 17 is a full sized 9mm pistol. The Glock 19 is the compact version of the same gun. Why would you want to use G19 mags in a G17? I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant, but I'm confused none the less.

So I can use both my G17 and G19 magazines.

Jack_Stroker
01-25-09, 20:18
So I can use both my G17 and G19 magazines.

You can use Glock 17 magazines in a Glock 19, but not the other way around. You'd have to practically destroy the grip on the Glock 17 to make a Glock 19 magazine fit in it.

Gutshot John
01-25-09, 20:38
You can use Glock 17 magazines in a Glock 19, but not the other way around. You'd have to practically destroy the grip on the Glock 17 to make a Glock 19 magazine fit in it.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen professional gunsmiths who offer such a conversion.

I'm not necessarily going to try it my first time out, but I'm sure it's possible.

Aubrey
01-25-09, 20:58
Chopping the grip/frame of a G17 to G19 length provides a slightly more concealable pistol if carried IWB.

Limey-
01-26-09, 01:02
I have chopped 3-4 glocks from fullsize to compact. Easy to do works great.

SW-Shooter
01-28-09, 01:43
It sickens me when people destroy their gun and then try to sell them. I've seen too many bad stippling jobs, and grip reductions. These people mostly than try to sell them for damn near retail.:confused:

The one that takes the cake is the guy that shaved the rails down on a 21SF so it would fit his G21 holster. Then he had the nerve to sell it for almost what a new one costs, even though the gun was ruined and would never be able to have anything attached to it again.:eek:

If you don't like the guns grip then it is obviously not the right gun for you. PERIOD!

Limey-
01-28-09, 10:33
The guns are not 'destroyed'. I have to carry a Glock as do others, no choice its an Agency thing. Its a tool, nothing more. People have been improving work tools since the aposable thumb. Dont like it. Dont do it.

ToddG
01-28-09, 10:38
If you don't like the guns grip then it is obviously not the right gun for you. PERIOD!

Would you also apply this logic to getting a trigger job?

How about changing the sights?

How about changing the grips on a gun with removable stocks like Beretta, SIG, 1911, etc.?

If someone buys a gun, he can do anything he damn well wants to to it. If someone feels that the Glock is the mostest uberestest L33T gun evah, but wants to mod the grip so he can actually hold it properly, who is he hurting?

Yes, there are much more ergonomic guns on the market. But if someone chooses a Glock (or if a Glock is chosen for him) and wants to reshape the backstrap to make it more functional, rock on.

Jack_Stroker
01-28-09, 18:46
Would you also apply this logic to getting a trigger job?

How about changing the sights?

How about changing the grips on a gun with removable stocks like Beretta, SIG, 1911, etc.?

If someone buys a gun, he can do anything he damn well wants to to it. If someone feels that the Glock is the mostest uberestest L33T gun evah, but wants to mod the grip so he can actually hold it properly, who is he hurting?

Yes, there are much more ergonomic guns on the market. But if someone chooses a Glock (or if a Glock is chosen for him) and wants to reshape the backstrap to make it more functional, rock on.

Right. It isn't as if you have to buy one of these hack jobs when you are searching for used weapons to purchase.

Federale
01-28-09, 18:53
Then he had the nerve to sell it for almost what a new one costs, even though the gun was ruined and would never be able to have anything attached to it again.:eek:

Nerve? :confused: Who HAD to buy the pistol for that price? Nobody. Nobody except the person who didn't need or want the rail. I'm not sure how this qualifies as "ruined."

I wonder why cars come with adjustable seats then. Maybe because one size doesn't fit all?

Come to think of it, why are so many polymer pistols coming with different sized back straps now..... ;)

ToddG
01-28-09, 19:23
Come to think of it, why are so many polymer pistols coming with different sized back straps now..... ;)

Because it makes them vastly superior to polymer pistols that lack that feature. :cool:

RyanB
01-29-09, 21:40
How are we supposed to dominate our enemies and bend them to our will if we can't even make our handguns behave as we wish? I'm all for cutting on my weapons.