PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with this?

LOKNLOD
11-27-06, 19:38
...Besides give it away, that is.

This little puppy showed up in the mail today:
http://home.off-road.com/~loknlod/EE/A1.jpg

I've got some ideas for a build...but am still up in the air on it. Anybody got suggestions? That IDF thread has a lot of ideas in it...

Akoni
11-27-06, 19:57
K.I.S.S. build w/11.5" would be my vote. What upper is that?

USMC03
11-27-06, 20:15
Something that I'm just finishing, utilizing an A1 upper:

-A1 upper with round (A2) foward assist and XS same plane rear apeture

-14.5" M4 barrel with Colt M4 handguards and Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider

-LMT Lower with Vltor Carbine stock and Tango Down Battlegrip

Light, handy, short, was a fairly inexpensive project, no NFA, no bells, no whistles, no BS. Something I can teach new shooters with, use as a truck gun, etc.

Semper Fi
Jeff

LOKNLOD
11-27-06, 20:45
Jeff,
I like where you're going with that.

I remember seeing at one point a A1-uppered Midlength with a Magpul stock, in coyote, that you posted up. Still got that rifle? I remember it being pretty slick.

Akoni,
Sounds good but unless somebody wants to donate to my tax-stamp fund...probably a no-go. ETA: It's a Bushmaster.

Robb Jensen
11-27-06, 20:51
Just give it to me. I'll give it a GREAT home!

adh
11-29-06, 20:21
maybe this
http://www.hunt101.com/img/439438.JPG (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=439438&c=500&z=1)

LOKNLOD
11-29-06, 22:15
I really like that.

I'll end up with one of three setups:

14.5" M4 barrel w/ perm attached, M4 stock like adh shows.
16" Midlength (matches my primary rifle), M4 stock.
M4-profiled Dissipator barrel and fixed stock (Sully or A1). For some reason I really dig this one...

A pencil barrel like this one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/IDF/izzy1.jpg) from the IDF thread would be neat as well (maybe I can get the wife into a IDF uniform...grrr ;) )

deadwood83
11-29-06, 22:21
I like adh's set-up. Just switch the M4 contour with a pencil barrel and that would be my choice for an A1 upper.:D

And if all else fails i'm sure the UPS man could help me help you:rolleyes:

Glockster35
11-30-06, 16:54
I like the looks of ADH's rifle, but would probably add one thing. A SureFire M500A to it.

Speaking of which, I need to find one of those SureFires and get started on this as my next upper project...I have everything else, but the A2 upper receiver...although I do have two orignial flat side upper receivers waiting to be used...

Humm...the choices this forum brings to me!:D

USMC03
11-30-06, 21:02
Jeff,

I like where you're going with that.

I remember seeing at one point a A1-uppered Midlength with a Magpul stock, in coyote, that you posted up. Still got that rifle? I remember it being pretty slick.

I sold the the mid length you are refering to, in order to fund another project. But I miss it a lot, so started a new A1 project. I wanted something lightweight and compact. Thus I went with the 14.5" M4 on the A1 upper.

Just waiting on the bolt carrier group and charging handle to be delivered and it will be a complete.

LOKNLOD
11-30-06, 21:16
You don't still have a pic of that old one, do you? I dug up the old thread on LF but the pics were gone...

USMC03
12-01-06, 00:07
No I don't....sorry

M4arc
12-01-06, 06:26
What A1 uppers are you guys using and where are you getting them from?

Glockster35
12-01-06, 08:16
Neither of mine are A1 uppers, they are slick side (no forward assist or brass deflector), I think these are vietnam era based on pictures.

I got one of mine about 6 years at a gun show in new condition. The other I got with a complete upper I bought at a different gunshow. Lemme see if I can get a pic and post it.

LOKNLOD
12-01-06, 08:25
Marc,
I snagged mine off the EE, it is a Bushmaster. The one Josh-L posted in hsi "Match A1"thread, I think he said it was a DMPS that he sent off to have feed ramps put into. I do see Colt uppers come up on the EE, although they go fast and for a higher price. If you don't want the shell deflector, some true A1 uppers show up on the EE pretty often, in varying condition. I wanted the shell deflector because of left-handed friends and who knows if my kids might turn out to be left handed or not...

Glockster35
12-01-06, 08:41
Here's the one I was talking about.

Not sure who makes it, I have not located any markings.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/218228/Firearms/DSCF0301.JPG

LOKNLOD
12-01-06, 09:49
That's cool Glockster, it's even got the old-school charging handle.

You should do some research on it, depending on your needs it may be worth selling, the retro stuff is popular these days and that may be valuable to someone building a period-correct retro rifle.

Glockster35
12-01-06, 10:39
Yeah, I thought about that. I actually have two of these uppers, one used, one not used.

The used one I have assembled to a 14.5 Colt M4 profile barrel, and I am waiting for a SureFire M500 flashlight/handguard setup to arrive and I will install it there. I can't wait.

That will make a total of 3 complete uppers for my one lower.

Glockster35
12-06-06, 12:56
Here it is all assembled.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/218228/Firearms/OldSchoolcarbine-SF500.JPG

Old School slab side Colt upper, with Colt M-4 barrel. Now sporting the Old-School Surefire M500.

This is my back-up/home defense setup for right now. At least until I settle on a light system for my other upper!

Hope you like!

adh
12-06-06, 17:48
Hope you like!

I like it...nice, and pretty cool with the oldish school surefire:p

Hotolds442
12-06-06, 18:46
Here's the one I was talking about.

Not sure who makes it, I have not located any markings.

Look really close near the ejection port, between the port and the barrel nut threads. If yours is like the two I got from you, there will be a square with a "C" in it right below the carry handle, and a triangle with a "VP" inside directly below it. As I understand it, the "C" is for Colt, and the "VP" is for Verified Proof" I asked the question on another board and that's the answer I got. That charging handle is worth a lot, I wouldn't use it. You should send it to me for safe keeping. J/K!

Glockster35
12-06-06, 20:13
Yeah, they didn't have stuff like that back in Vietnam...but I think it was probably made around the time I graduated High School...erm...1987!

Actually anyone have any idea when the SureFire M500 pictured was made?

Glockster35
12-06-06, 21:20
That charging handle is going to go with the other upper receiver I have, it's new and has never been used, just like the charging handle.

I also have an older M16 barrel, and I plan to mount post each of them up for sale after Christmas.

I have to get rid of some of this stuff I have been hording, so I can finish my rifle the way I want to.

Lumpy196
12-13-06, 02:32
Something that I'm just finishing, utilizing an A1 upper:

-A1 upper with round (A2) foward assist and XS same plane rear apeture

-14.5" M4 barrel with Colt M4 handguards and Sabre Defense long A2 flash hider

-LMT Lower with Vltor Carbine stock and Tango Down Battlegrip

Light, handy, short, was a fairly inexpensive project, no NFA, no bells, no whistles, no BS. Something I can teach new shooters with, use as a truck gun, etc.

Semper Fi
Jeff

Not that I have any doubt, but I expect pictures :D