PDA

View Full Version : MSAR STG-556 Whose got one and what ya think?

No Bananas
01-16-09, 17:43
The MSAR STG-556 has really caught my eye. Whose got one and what do you think about it? I think the cons are: uses proprietary magazines (but a model will soon be out the uses AR mags). Accurate? I know the bad trigger, but I think I can live with it.

Cagemonkey
01-16-09, 20:16
Recently bought one. So far, so good. Quality, fit and finish are good. I put a ML3 Aimpoint on mine. Has a nice balance. My wife can even hold it up. I also got one of those trigger tamer's for it. I think you need to put a 1000 rds through it before you install this part or you'll have trigger reset problems. If you need mags or accessories, try ratworx.com. They also have rifles. Some will knock it for not being a Steyr. Its good quality and its available now and is more affordable.

Scattergun
01-16-09, 20:31
Some will knock it for not being a Steyr. Its good quality and its available now and is more affordable.

kinda of like the COLT vrs non COLT in the AR world

I have a STG-556 with factory optics and I like it. It shoots great. So far I have only fired about 200rds in mine, but no problems yet. I feel the factory optics could use a little more magnification, 1.6x is not much. It feels good when you shoulder it. Nice and compact, only 27 inch over all. The trigger pull is better than I was expecting, a little heavy, but I have seen ARs with worse.

Savior 6
01-16-09, 21:27
The only problem that I have had with mine was dealing with MSAR to get it. Their CS can be lacking but the rifle itself is Nice. It also seems to be the most modular and versitile of the AUG types out there. The new Steyr A3 civie might give it a run for its money, but so far only comes with a rail (and it's not the actual A3 quad rail). If getting an MSAR I would get one of the later versions that accepts Steyr AUG mags. The fact that they did not come like this from the get go was a big negative for me, however they were still an affordable and available option for anyone seeking an AUG style weapon. The conversion kits don't seem readily available, but will be a nice addition to anyone owning this weapon.

Tomac
01-16-09, 21:54
Short version: I like it. It's short, very quick & manueverable in tight quarters, easy take-down & cleaning w/only the gas piston needing serious effort to clean, minimal recoil/muzzle rise. Not quite as ergonomic or quick to change mags as an AR. Earlier versions use an excellent & rugged but pricey proprietary mag (new version at SHOT uses AR mags including Pmags). Typical bullpup trigger but it improves significantly w/use and the AUG Trigger Tamer is available as well.
I have personal experience w/3 STG's (2 are mine, 1 is my son's). Two of the three w/over 1K rds each have been 100% w/both Prvi Partizan & Silver Bear, the third had extraction problems which MSAR fixed ASAP.
Here are mine w/Aimpoint H-1's, TLR-1 taclights & MI folding BUIS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofNewMicroMounts001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofNewMicroMounts003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofNewMicroMounts002.jpg

Trempel
01-16-09, 22:35
Do these use the same magazines as the Steyr AUG?

Cagemonkey
01-16-09, 22:41
Do these use the same magazines as the Steyr AUG?The current model MSAR Stg 5.56 can use the Steyr AUG mags.

OcGunGuy
01-17-09, 02:10
I got mine out here in The People's Republic of Kalifornia back in August and was immediately disappointed because of feeding problems. I thought I was going to have to send the rifle back to MSAR but after purchasing a new mag I found that was the problem. The mag that came with the rifle was CRAP and it went into the trash the minute I got back from my second shoot.

Ever since, I've had no problems. The factory scope on the rifle is perfect and makes the rifle a tack driver. It literally hits everything and anything that comes into the center of the cross hairs.

I have 2 AR's and this shoots with less felt recoil. The trigger doesn't bother me at all. Everyone seems worried about the trigger and makes mountains out of molehills for a pound or two of pull and something called "sticky".

I've always wanted an AUG but gave up when they hit $4,000. When this came out, I nearly feel over myself to get one. I'll never part with this baby!!:D

Tomac
01-17-09, 08:13
Do these use the same magazines as the Steyr AUG?

There are 5 unofficial "generations" of the STG.
Gen I: Early black LE models had a different feedramp and were recalled.
-Stock: No fence around the bolt catch, no swivel pockets on the bottom, forward assist.
-Bolt Group: Full fluting on carrier, fluted RH thrust piece, balled LH thrust piece.
-Barrel: 1/9 Twist, Tulip f/h

Gen II:
-Stock: Fence around bolt catch, swivel pockets under rear of stock and grip.
-Bolt Group: Smooth carrier, non-fluted RH thrust piece, non-balled LH thrust piece.
-Barrel: 1/8 Twist, Tulip f/h

Gen III: (or IIa?)
-Barrel: Jagdkommando f/h

Gen IV:
-Stock: No forward assist, AUG mag compatible
-Barrel: Tulip f/h
-Optic: US manuf., Upgraded Knobs

Gen V (new, just released at SHOT):
-Stock: Takes AR Mags, customizable rail/sling attachment points
-Barrel: Tulip f/h

Gens I-III take the MSAR proprietary mags only but can take AUG mags w/a couple of minutes file work to remove the ridges inside the magwell. Gen IV takes both AUG & the MSAR proprietary mags.
I own both a Gen III and a Gen II w/the tulip f/h replaced w/the Jagdkommando f/h.
HTH...
Tomac

No Bananas
01-17-09, 09:40
So, are the new generations being produced now have a 1/8 twist bbl?

Tomac
01-17-09, 09:50
So, are the new generations being produced now have a 1/8 twist bbl?

I don't know, but I do know that all 3 of our Gen II/III STG's have 1:8 bbls.
Tomac

Gutshot John
01-17-09, 09:57
Earlier versions use an excellent & rugged but pricey proprietary mag (new version at SHOT uses AR mags including Pmags).

So the newer versions of the MSAR will be able to take AR mags as well as Aug/MSAR mags? or it just uses AR mags period?

Tomac
01-17-09, 10:19
So the newer versions of the MSAR will be able to take AR mags as well as Aug/MSAR mags? or it just uses AR mags period?

The newest version will take AR mags only.
Tomac

Gutshot John
01-17-09, 10:24
Have you or anyone else converted one to left-hand firing? How difficult is that switch out?

Tomac
01-17-09, 10:38
Have you or anyone else converted one to left-hand firing? How difficult is that switch out?

I'm not a lefty but here's how it's done:
1) Move ejection port cover from left side to right side (it just pops out, no tools required).
2) Remove RH bolt and install LH bolt in its place (takes maybe 5 minutes, again no tools required).

You can order the STG lefty-friendly from the factory but if you want versatility you can just order the LH bolt and swap between the two as needed.
HTH...
Tomac

Savior 6
01-17-09, 15:02
Gutshot John and Tomac, If you can break that weapon down in five minutes you are doing pretty damn good. The design doesn't go with simple when taking the receiver from the stock housing. Forceful and aggrivating is more like it. It would have been nice to see the design more updated and easier to break down like a PS90, considering it is based off the same design.

Tomac
01-17-09, 16:22
Gutshot John and Tomac, If you can break that weapon down in five minutes you are doing pretty damn good. The design doesn't go with simple when taking the receiver from the stock housing. Forceful and aggrivating is more like it. It would have been nice to see the design more updated and easier to break down like a PS90, considering it is based off the same design.

Hmmm... Seeing as how the PS90 (direct blowback) and STG (gas system) are two completely different firearms by two completely different companies, I don't see how they're based off the same design? :confused:
Regardless, it takes me a lot less than 5 minutes to accomplish the following:
1) Remove mag & manually cycle the action to ensure it's clear.
2) Push out retaining crossbar & separate receiver from buttstock.*
3) Remove BCG from buttstock.
4) Remove buttpad from buttstock, remove hammer pack from buttstock.
5) Remove barrel from receiver.
6) Remove gas valve then gas piston & spring from barrel.
7) Remove firing pin from BCG.
8) Remove bolt, bolt spring & firing pin retainer from BCG.
9) Remove bolt shroud from around bolt.
10) Remove extractor, extractor spring, pad & doughnut from bolt.
* = If this is giving you trouble you can press the barrel down against a piece of carpet (or something similar to protect the muzzle) to take pressure off the crossbar to make the crossbar easier to move.
Tomac

Cagemonkey
01-17-09, 16:26
I found that breaking the weapon down into 5 main groups is quick and easy. Bolt disassembly is a little different, but gets easier after familiarization. The 16" barrel is made of 4150 Chrome Moly steel and is Chrome lined with a 1:8 twist. Current models have no bolt assist and accept MSAR and AUG magazines.

Savior 6
01-17-09, 21:36
2) Push out retaining crossbar & separate receiver from buttstock.*

* = If this is giving you trouble you can press the barrel down against a piece of carpet (or something similar to protect the muzzle) to take pressure off the crossbar to make the crossbar easier to move.
Tomac

This is the part I was referring to. I'll give your method a go, because the place buttstock against hip method is not working for me.
On the PS90 and MSAR, I'll take some pics and let you draw your own conclusion.

Tomac
01-18-09, 05:07
This is the part I was referring to. I'll give your method a go, because the place buttstock against hip method is not working for me.
On the PS90 and MSAR, I'll take some pics and let you draw your own conclusion.

All 3 of the STG's I've handled had very stiff crossbolts to begin with but they became much easier to move after a few times. Just place the rifle muzzle-down against carpet and push down against the buttplate before moving the crossbolt.
I used to own a couple of PS90's and while there's a superficial outer resemblence that most bullpups share (not to mention the typical bullpup trigger linkage), the STG is obviously based on the '70's AUG whereas I don't see how one can say the PS90 w/its blowback action & unique magazine comes from the same heritage. Heck, the FN FS2000 has more in common w/the STG than it does w/the FN PS90!
Tomac
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofFS2KEvaluation003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofSTG-566vFS2000002.jpg

TOrrock
01-18-09, 07:48
Stopped by their booth at SHOT and talked with them for a while.....

Truthfully, I've been very skeptical about their early rifles, the proprietary mag was a deal killer for me, as was the forward assist.

But, it seems like they are a very responsive, agile company that is willing to change to accomadate what the buyer wants.

Wish more companies in the industry were as responsive.

They looked good.

Savior 6
01-19-09, 16:49
No Bananas, I'm adding some pics, not trying to steal your thread, just to provide more info. If you like the bullpup concept then I would give the STG556 a go. Depending on your view of mags, I would use that as a decision as to what generation of MSAR you would pick. I personally believe in the bullpup concept as a better alternative, so long as it is ambi-friendly. Anyway here are some pics:
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/More%20Toys/DSC03118.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/More%20Toys/DSC03120.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/More%20Toys/DSC03125.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/More%20Toys/DSC03130.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/More%20Toys/DSC03131.jpg

ryanm
01-22-09, 08:07
I want to chime in with my 2cents on this. I have a tan STG with 16" barrel, rail system, RH version. I have an EOTech 553 as well as Troy BUIS on the rifle. I shot 300rds through this weapon while I was home over Christmas and it took me all of 15 minutes to clean. I've never shot anything that I can make that same claim. The bolt barely even had any residue. I put a similar number of rounds through my ARs during the same session and as usual--it was an hour to get them immaculate again. Glocks were my previous benchmark for ease of maintenance--the STG is my new point of reference.

The weapon comes up very well, it was accurate (I was only shooting out to 100M), and required almost no adjustment right out of the box as far as the optics or iron sites. I would not call it a "tack driver" rifle, but for my purposes it was exactly what I had hoped it would be and exceeded my expectations.

After you take one apart, it sort of makes the AR platform seem a bit dated. I'm not trying to be a fan boy because I have by far more experience with the AR platform--but I really do see this rifle as a step forward in many respects.

Obviously, there are drawbacks... Combat mag change would be a pain for one. My rifle only takes the propritary mags for a second demerit.

However, if I just wanted one rifle to plink with--this would be it--especially since the new ones take AR mags.

As a side note, firing the rifle has a slightly different feel to it from anything else I have ever used. The bullet is basically exploding right next to your face, so you get a shock wave that goes through your cheek/brain while firing. Definitely a unique sensation. This was my first exposure to owning a bullpup configuration.

I would also note that the integrated optic on the Jagd version is probably the way to go. I had a chance to check one out and its very high quality. (As it should be for a 5K rifle!) I don't know if I'd go for the standard optic as the rail system provides a lot of flexibility.

Littlelebowski
01-22-09, 16:43
I've put rounds through 2 of these and was extremely impressed. Very little recoil, accurate, fun to shoot.

The mag changes were slow! Any fixes on that?

ryanm, your personal AR don't need to be immaculate. It took me a while to get that military brainwashing out of my system but now I shoot more and clean less. Come back in one piece, man.

Scattergun
01-22-09, 16:54

Practice, practice, practice.:D

RyanS
01-22-09, 18:23
With Steyr, supposedly finally coming to market, would you wait for an AUG or get an MSAR now?

Tomac
01-22-09, 18:37
With Steyr, supposedly finally coming to market, would you wait for an AUG or get an MSAR now?

First AUGs out will probably go for exhorbitant prices (like the first SCARs), who knows how long it will be before the price settles down to near MSRP.
Is the Steyr name worth paying extra now or MSRP at some unknown point down the road or would you rather have the less expensive MSAR now? Personal preference, of course, but I'm happy w/my MSAR's (would be happier if the ones I bought used std AR mags like the latest MSAR just released, but, oh well!...)
Tomac

Cagemonkey
01-22-09, 19:22
With Steyr, supposedly finally coming to market, would you wait for an AUG or get an MSAR now?"A BIRD IN HAND, IS WORTH MORE THAN TWO IN THE BUSH" Buy the MSAR now. If the Steyr becomes available, sell the MSAR and buy the Steyr. Thats if you feel the Steyr is worth the extra money.

ryanm
01-23-09, 03:26
If its a matter of you worrying about the MSAR not being as good as the Steyr, I think those concerns are not warranted. Fit, finish, functionality are all excellent. I'm not sure what would be gained by going with the Steyr name over MSAR's product. If Steyr is Colt, MSAR would be LMT. ;)

I might buy a Steyr when/if it comes out and stash it in the back of the safe. But I'll be happily shooting my MSAR.

I'm only interested in the Steyr if it comes out in the A2 Commando or A3 configuration. If they re-release/export an A1 or standard A2 config then your better off with the MSAR all around IMO. Nothing wrong with the Steyr A2, just doesn't offer anything that you can't get with the MSAR and the Steyr version going to be 3K+ most likely.

The A3 would be kick ass though! Keep your fingers crossed for that one!

No Bananas
01-23-09, 20:40
I know that they're making an E4 model that'll accept the AR mags, but the MSAR mags seem pretty robust. Would the MSAR mags actually be better than a majority of AR mags?

Tomac
01-23-09, 20:47
I know that they're making an E$ model that'll accept the AR mags, but the MSAR mags seem pretty robust. Would the MSAR mags actually be better than a majority of AR mags?

1) I am very happy w/the ruggedness of the MSAR proprietary mags. I dropped a fully loaded 42rd mag onto concrete by accident and all it did was spit out the first two rds. Only downside for me is that they are pricier than AR mags.
2) MSAR is releasing their own polymer 30 & 40rd *AR* mags shortly.
Tomac

Savior 6
01-24-09, 01:19

Not with the MSAR, but if your right handed you could try the TPD or Steyr with NATO stock. Still would not be as fast as an M4/AR15 though.

The MSAR is a bit more versitile IMO, but the Steyr is an actually AUG. You would have to weigh the decision on your preferences.

jagdkommando
01-26-09, 14:46

I can break down my MSAR, switch left bolt to right bolt, reassemble, and fire in less than 2 minutes.

ryanm
01-26-09, 14:54
Jagdkommando,

Do you have the actual Jagd version of the MSAR? Who makes the optic for this version? I checked one out and thought it was pretty kick ass, but I didn't notice the manufacturer. I have a "base" model with top/side rail, but my next one may well be the Jagd if I can find one again or the new German special edition rifle. I should have bought it when I had the chance, I had sticker shock at the time.

jagdkommando
01-26-09, 15:08
First off, I work for MSAR. I met a guy who works for this forum at SHOT and decided I better check it out. Glad I did.

The Jagdkommando rifle was never produced. The photo that was widely circulated on the internet was put out by a guy that once worked here. The rifle in that picture was not ours.

I would love to answer questions about our rifles on this site. My position at MSAR is customer service/tech support/gunsmith. I will help you out with whatever you need.

ryanm
01-26-09, 15:12
I thought the rat workx gun was MSAR? Is it something they put together? Is the new Edelweiss edition an MSAR product? I saw what I guess I assumed to be the Jagd at a Gunshow in Des Moines over Christmas. Price was $5500 with Pelican Case, 4mags, a knife, and the optic looked just like the one in the photo with rails. Looked similar in appearance to the A2 rifles I see over here with Aussies, larger diameter tube. (Although no rails on the one's I've seen over here).

Savior 6
02-03-09, 14:23
I can break down my MSAR, switch left bolt to right bolt, reassemble, and fire in less than 2 minutes.

Would like to see a video of that. Especially if the take down button is fully seated.

TOrrock
02-03-09, 14:30
First off, I work for MSAR. I met a guy who works for this forum at SHOT and decided I better check it out. Glad I did.

The Jagdkommando rifle was never produced. The photo that was widely circulated on the internet was put out by a guy that once worked here. The rifle in that picture was not ours.

I would love to answer questions about our rifles on this site. My position at MSAR is customer service/tech support/gunsmith. I will help you out with whatever you need.

It was great to meet you at SHOT. Looking forward to getting the straight scoop on these rifles.

jagdkommando
02-04-09, 07:56
Would like to see a video of that. Especially if the take down button is fully seated.

I dont know how to post videos. Something I need to figure out I guess. Anyway, your post (or I guess challange?) got us all messing around here in the gunroom. Now remember, we eat, sleep, and breathe these STG-556 rifles 10 or so hours every day. With that said,

The current record here in the shop for a right to left hand bolt swap and return to battery with a brand new, tight, completely assembled rifle is..........39 seconds.

Once the rifle is learned, it is very simple. Call me up and I will talk you through anything you need help with on our rifle.

Dave Robertson
814-363-9264 ext 19

Tomac
02-04-09, 07:59

Trust me on this one, Dave knows what he's talking about...
Tomac

ryanm
02-04-09, 08:33
Probably easier to post to youtube then link back to here :)

39 seconds is amazing! I believe it, the rifle really is incredibly straight forward.

I'm so used to rifles being somewhat complicated that at first I thought I wasn't realy understanding something fundamental about the MSAR.

I'm curious as to what the Aussie's train for in terms of timing. I'll ambush one one the DFAC and ask.

OcGunGuy
02-04-09, 16:06
I dont know how to post videos. Something I need to figure out I guess. Anyway, your post (or I guess challange?) got us all messing around here in the gunroom. Now remember, we eat, sleep, and breathe these STG-556 rifles 10 or so hours every day. With that said,

The current record here in the shop for a right to left hand bolt swap and return to battery with a brand new, tight, completely assembled rifle is..........39 seconds.

Once the rifle is learned, it is very simple. Call me up and I will talk you through anything you need help with on our rifle.

Dave Robertson
814-363-9264 ext 19

Out of the blue comes Superman!! :D

I just got off a call to Mr. Dave Robertson at Microtech. Dave was more than a gentleman to speak to and deal with.

I currently have the STG 556 in the 20 inch configuration. I had been trying to buy a 16 inch barrel for my STG 556 for 4 months from various dealers with no luck (no fault of Microtech's believe me).

Dave immediately put on his salesman's hat, sold me the 16 inch barrel, and is shipping it out as quick as tomorrow. And I called him at 4:30 p.m. his time!! Now THAT IS SERVICE.

For anyone out there who has this BEAUTIFUL rifle, and you are having any difficulties with obtaining parts or getting information about the Microtech products, give Dave a call!! He is definitely THE MAN...THE SUPERMAN.

I am so glad I belong to M4Carbine.net!

Dave, Thank you Sir.

Bruce Skinner :p

jagdkommando
02-06-09, 13:53
Thanks Bruce, the barrel is on the way!

5POINT56
02-07-09, 09:34
Does anyone have specific designation for the latest version that accepts AR magazines?

I've had my eye on these for some time, and it was the lack of this feature that kept me away.

I see nothing on Microtechs web page that makes this rather significant destiction between different generations of the MSAR :confused:.

Tomac
02-07-09, 09:45
Does anyone have specific designation for the latest version that accepts AR magazines?

An MSAR rep on another forum has repeatedly referred to it as the E4.
HTH...
Tomac

Littlelebowski
02-07-09, 11:05
I would like to see more info on the E4, particularly regarding availability.

5POINT56
02-08-09, 14:59
Lets hope we can get some up to date info on this E4.

When will it be released? Who's carrying it? Whats retail on it?

Anyone from Microtech here with some info? Much appreciated.

jagdkommando
02-09-09, 07:59
The MSAR STG-556 will soon, hopefully within the next 6 weeks, be shipping with the E4 stock. This stock has several enhancements over the STG-556 stock. The receiver, bolt carrier, hammer pack, and barrel are all the same and interchangable. The only difference is the stock.

The stock itself takes AR15 mags, all AR15 mags, and only AR15 mags. The bolt release is in the same location but much larger contact area. There are hardened steel attachment points welded into the stock for rails in 5 locations. The rifle will ship with 3 rails that you can install where you wnt them. The barrel threads will be 1/2 x 28.

MSRP on the rifle is just over 2 grand. You can call Ratworxusa.com and be put on a waiting list. After we build and ship some E4 rifles, guys wanting the E4 stock that already own a STG-556 will be able to send it in to us and we will install and test fire the rifle.

Get back to me with any more questions, or even suggestions. Most of the changes we have made to the rifle have come from suggestions from users right here on the gun boards.

Dave R

5POINT56
02-10-09, 10:16
The MSAR STG-556 will soon, hopefully within the next 6 weeks, be shipping with the E4 stock...............

Dave R

Thanks for the update Dave, very much appreciated.

Dorsai
02-10-09, 22:51
Dave,
I've heard that MSAR has got a new factory optic that has better glass, a longer eye relief and sits slightly taller for a better cheek weld. Can you confirm?

Aristogeiton
02-10-09, 23:07
Thanks for the info Dave!

The MSAR STG-556 will soon, hopefully within the next 6 weeks, be shipping with the E4 stock. This stock has several enhancements over the STG-556 stock. The receiver, bolt carrier, hammer pack, and barrel are all the same and interchangable. The only difference is the stock.

The stock itself takes AR15 mags, all AR15 mags, and only AR15 mags. The bolt release is in the same location but much larger contact area. There are hardened steel attachment points welded into the stock for rails in 5 locations. The rifle will ship with 3 rails that you can install where you wnt them. The barrel threads will be 1/2 x 28.

MSRP on the rifle is just over 2 grand. You can call Ratworxusa.com and be put on a waiting list. After we build and ship some E4 rifles, guys wanting the E4 stock that already own a STG-556 will be able to send it in to us and we will install and test fire the rifle.

Get back to me with any more questions, or even suggestions. Most of the changes we have made to the rifle have come from suggestions from users right here on the gun boards.

Dave R

jagdkommando
02-11-09, 06:45
Dave,
I've heard that MSAR has got a new factory optic that has better glass, a longer eye relief and sits slightly taller for a better cheek weld. Can you confirm?

Dorsai,

We are producing an optic that sits about 3/4 of an inch higher than our first optic. The new optic is the same height as the optic of the Steyr AUG. The SHOT show pics of our rifles show our new optic. The optic housing is the same except for being taller, it still has back up irons. There is a rumor about longer eye relief and better glass, and I will be honest, it is a pretty good optic for the money. The optic housing is cast in our mold, assembled and nitrogen purged right here in our shop by one guy that knows the ins and outs of the optic business. We do import the glass tube. It is the only STG-556 part not made in the US. This has been the deal with the optic since rifle number 1.

Dave Robertson

Savior 6
02-11-09, 15:39
jagdkommando, could the optic have a tritium insert in it? While I understand that weapon could have a rail installed and use the many optic choices available, it would be nice if the integral optic could transition from light to dark much like the improved USG optic on PS90s.

jagdkommando
02-12-09, 07:19
With as busy as we are right now I dont think we are currently planning on producing optics with tritium inserts. However, we have made a few and it is completely doable. Simply drill out the sight tabs and glue in the inserts.

OcGunGuy
02-13-09, 15:21
Out of the blue comes Superman!! :D

I just got off a call to Mr. Dave Robertson at Microtech. Dave was more than a gentleman to speak to and deal with.

I currently have the STG 556 in the 20 inch configuration. I had been trying to buy a 16 inch barrel for my STG 556 for 4 months from various dealers with no luck (no fault of Microtech's believe me).

Dave immediately put on his salesman's hat, sold me the 16 inch barrel, and is shipping it out as quick as tomorrow. And I called him at 4:30 p.m. his time!! Now THAT IS SERVICE.

For anyone out there who has this BEAUTIFUL rifle, and you are having any difficulties with obtaining parts or getting information about the Microtech products, give Dave a call!! He is definitely THE MAN...THE SUPERMAN.

I am so glad I belong to M4Carbine.net!

Dave, Thank you Sir.

Bruce Skinner :p

I recently (within 1 week) received my 16 inch barrel that I ordered through Dave Robertson at Microtech and am as happy as I could be with the perfect quality of workmanship of the part. I can only equate the quality to other manufacturers such as Mercedes Benz, Porsche and other fine craftmanship from high quality American manufacturers like EOtech and Trijicon.

Apparently, Microtech has decided that the quality of their product that goes out to their customers has to be and is flawless. They have achieved quality to the degree that I feel the product is like the finest Swiss watch you can obtain and takes on the aspect of being a "keepsake", an item that needs to be used and cherished at the same time and passed on to future generations as a prized possession.

Dave, thank you for personally handling this transaction and thank you and all the employees at Microtech for their dedication to designing and manufacturing an American made product we can be proud of in the tradition of our American heritage.

Bruce :)

Savior 6
02-14-09, 13:52
With as busy as we are right now I dont think we are currently planning on producing optics with tritium inserts. However, we have made a few and it is completely doable. Simply drill out the sight tabs and glue in the inserts.

I meant having the tritium inside the scope and not on the external sight tabs. The PS90 USG sight has an excellent transition from light to dark backgrounds.

OcGunGuy
03-15-09, 18:44
Here ya go folks, the latest configuation of my "blaster":

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jp0319
03-17-09, 19:16
I just put one on layaway yesterday I had to have one I think its a gen IV takes STG and AUG mags. Does anyone know if the barrel threads are the same as the AR, I'd like another flash suppressor?

TOrrock
03-17-09, 19:47
MSAR was kind enough to send me one of the SWAT models, 16" barrel, black stock, bi-level rail and side rail, able to take both STG-556 mags and AUG mags.

I used it in a recent M4 Carbine Staff & Moderator Invitational class held by Larry Vickers. I'll post my opinions and experiences with the STG-556 over the three days of the class soon, but the short of it is that I was impressed with the craftsmanship, accuracy and compactness of the carbine, and ultimately made hits on a reduced "C" zone steel at 200 yards off hand.

Some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/STG556/P1020022.jpg

Compared to a Colt 6920:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/STG556/P1020036.jpg

Compared to a HK 416 10.5" and a HK G36C w/9" barrel:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/STG556/P1020046.jpg

Compared to a Vector Polish PMKMS underfolder:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/STG556/P1020058.jpg

These pictures were taken by SMGLee and Tad Te.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/TD1/Shoot4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%20M4%20Mod-Staff%20Class%206-8%20March%2009/TD1/Shooting2.jpg

Tomac
03-17-09, 20:25
Templar, how do you like the STG taclight location shown in your pics? Pros/cons? Thx!...
Tomac

TOrrock
03-17-09, 20:36
Templar, how do you like the STG taclight location shown in your pics? Pros/cons? Thx!...
Tomac

Tomac, Dave sent me the STG-556 with just the bi-level rail and side rail. I supplied my Aimpoint T-1 and a Surefire 6P in a Vltor offset ring.

The carbine came in the day before the class, I didn't have a lot of time to experiment, but if I had one of these as a go-to gun, I'd use a Surefire light on the right side rail with a tape switch that could be activated by my shooting hand.

I put the light up front because it was all I had. It worked well in the low light section of training, but I definitely needed to wear my gloves to activate it with my support hand, as everything gets pretty hot there.

Tomac
03-18-09, 07:53
Tomac, Dave sent me the STG-556 with just the bi-level rail and side rail. I supplied my Aimpoint T-1 and a Surefire 6P in a Vltor offset ring.

The carbine came in the day before the class, I didn't have a lot of time to experiment, but if I had one of these as a go-to gun, I'd use a Surefire light on the right side rail with a tape switch that could be activated by my shooting hand.

I put the light up front because it was all I had. It worked well in the low light section of training, but I definitely needed to wear my gloves to activate it with my support hand, as everything gets pretty hot there.

Thx for the info, I appreciate it. I, too, have my taclights on the right-side rail but currently have the tapeswitch on the VFG. Where would you locate the tapeswitch for use by the firing hand? Thx again...
Tomac

TOrrock
03-18-09, 07:59
Tomac, I'd have to experiment with it, but I was thinking that running the wire down the front guard and having the switch on the left side of the pistol grip would work well. As a bonus, you could then activate it with one hand, your firing hand, leaving your support hand open for other tasks, even if it's just holding the fore grip.

Littlelebowski
03-18-09, 08:12
Anxious to read the AAR on the MSAR, Templar.

Tomac
03-19-09, 08:23
Tomac, I'd have to experiment with it, but I was thinking that running the wire down the front guard and having the switch on the left side of the pistol grip would work well. As a bonus, you could then activate it with one hand, your firing hand, leaving your support hand open for other tasks, even if it's just holding the fore grip.

Thx! What would you use to attach the tapeswitch? Velcro or something else? Keep us posted, please!
Tomac

Archetype
03-19-09, 08:41
I'm a huge fan of the STG-556.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/shaneclose792/Shooting/0shootmarch14008b.jpg

Littlelebowski
04-08-09, 10:17
Anxious to read the AAR on the MSAR, Templar.

Still looking forward to the writeup.

TOrrock
04-08-09, 11:15
I've got to get the STG back to them asap, I'll work on the write up and should have it by this weekend. :cool: