PDA

View Full Version : Design flaws with XD?

phixion
01-17-09, 00:13
I asked this over at XDtalk and wanted to get opinions from those who aren't too fond of the XD (based on some recent post/topics).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to standardize my pistols for various roles such as concealed carry, home defense, shtf, etc. and as of now, the XD is the top candidate. For those who have detail stripped the XD, and/or for those who simply know a lot about the design, do you see any inherent design flaws or potential problems with the design in the long run. (as compared to other manufacturers.)

*I have an XD9SC and while it has been flawless, I have only put a few hundred rounds down range, not enough to gauge any potential problems.

Saginaw79
01-17-09, 01:58
I worked for an FFL, we sold a lot of XDs and none ever came back, and IIRC it even survived the Glock Torture Test

AFA first hand experience I have none as I dont own one, but thats my take

nsnate02
01-17-09, 03:07
I've had two XD9's and i can't say there's anything I didn't like about them except for being a tad on the bulky side. Everything works as advertised and with the rapidly growing availability of parts (their only real criticism) they aren't going away anytime soon. They are very popular and will become even more so with the XDm line. Comparing to the Glock I'd say I prefer the trigger, safties (visual inicators, grip, etc.), and ergo's. The Glock wins in mag design ( a little more reliable when dirty), overall sleekness, and parts (margin is closing however). I have had Sigs, Walther P99's, Glock's, M&P's, and several others and I would put the XD only behind the M&P I presently have a just ahead of the G19 for the reason I mentioned above.

All in all it is a great gun not unlike many others on the market. Some will love, some will be neutral, some will hate, but only you can decide what you think.

Gutshot John
01-17-09, 08:56
It's not so much about design flaw as much as a flawed business model.

Aftermarket parts will really difficult to obtain and most customization required that you send the gun into SA.

Similarly the XD didn't do a lot of things as well as the Glock which is a bit cheaper.

Personally I didn't like the trigger much but I don't know that this is a design flaw.

Jack_Stroker
01-17-09, 09:16
I've got a couple of Springfield XD's. Both are XD-45's. I did have an XD-40 for awhile as well. Really, there are no "design flaws" in that there is nothing that would contribute to a lack of reliability. My biggest complaint with the XD vs. other semi-autos is that the bore axis is on the high side. Much like the SIG-Sauer pistols. For me it took quite a bit of time to shoot decent with the Springfield XD. I may be alone in this as a friend of mine shot really well with his right off the bat. I've had to put about 1,000 rounds or so through each one before I got decent enough with them to use them for concealed carry or home defense. On the positive side, they've all been very reliable for me.

You may end up in the same boat as me. When you want to stadardize on a single brand or style of weapon like you mentioned, you'll find Springfield's lineup a bit lacking. They've got a great selection of 9mm and .40S&W pistols, but they have no sub-compact .45ACP chambered weapons and I've heard that they've discontinued their .357 SIG models. Availability of ported models is also much lower. Glock on the other hand has cheaper magazines, more common accessories, and of course a broader range of calibers. 9mm, 10mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357 SIG, .380 (not in the US though), and .45GAP. Springfield now only offers 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP and .45GAP. You can therefore probably find a better match for various uses with Glock than you can Springfield. You can get a .40S&W for carry, a 9mm for plinking or competition. Grab a .45ACP for shit hit the fan or tactical scenarios, and follow that up with a 10mm for hunting. I'd say both are equally durable. So you can't lose either way in regard to that.

I'm actually new to Glocks, but after one range session with both my Glocks, (Glock 21SF, 36) which I shot really well with for never having fired one in my life, I can with almost 100% certainty that the Glocks will most likely replace my Springfield XD's for home defense and concealed carry. I will probably switch from the XD-45 Service, to my Glock 21SF, and switch from the Smith & Wesson J-Frame to the Glock 36 as my backup weapon. I'm a big guy so carrying large full sized semi-automatics is pretty easy for me.

Mung
01-17-09, 09:17
Recently went through a week long course. There was one guy that had an XD. Due to all the speed reloads etc, his magazines got bent up pretty good to the point that it wouldn't load a round. So as long as you don't plan on dropping the mags, you'll be fine.

bullitt5172
01-17-09, 10:24
I have seen the XD fail more than Glock, M&P and HK (the four big boys of polymer) during classes I have attended. I don't know if that leads to a design flaw. I have a buddy with a XD9 that has seen a lot of rounds and still runs great.

David Bowie once stated on the 10-8 forums something to effect of "I received Glocks and M&P's for customizing, I receive XD's for repair". This was during a XD/Glock/M&P discussion. He said that the XD was very problematic, he hardly ever sees a Glock or M&P thats needs fixin'.

I like the way the XD and XDm feel but I run all Glocks. I've never had a single failure in any of the 7 Glocks I own (9mm and 45acps).

Powder_Burn
01-17-09, 10:31
Good pros/cons thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23601

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-17-09, 17:18
Its ugly, bulkey, mags suck, and that dang loded chamber indicator gets stuck on your holster I sold mine.

Solid
01-17-09, 18:09
I don't think it is flawed, but it brings nothing to the table. The "extras" are either pointless or in the way.

ralph
01-18-09, 10:25
I don't think it is flawed, but it brings nothing to the table. The "extras" are either pointless or in the way.

I'd have to agree with that statement...I had a XD45, and at first I thought it was the shit, but as I shot it more, I came to realise that it had a few shortcomings that made it nothing more than a bastardized Glock. XD's and cast lead bullets don't play well together. First, the XD due to it's design, will not feed LSWC's period, (Ask me how I know) You're limited to either LRN's or truncated cone types of bullets. Second, Alot of folks using cast lead bullets start having light strike problems...The culprit here is the mag springs, while they are just sufficent enough to work with FMJ's, they are weak, and allow partical nosediving with cast lead bullets. The fix is cheap enough, AGP 20% stronger mag springs. The loaded chamber indcator in mine got clogged uo with dirt, gunk, etc from firing and started sticking in the up postiion, another easy fix with some spray to clean it out, but, one could see where this could be a problem if it was used hard,and the user was unable to clean for long peroids of time. It is a dirt magnet. And of course parts..or lack of, With the increasing possibilty of some sort of ban on imported parts/ammo, little aftermarket support, this makes the XD a red herring..I sold mine, bought a M&P45, and I'm seriously considering selling it as well, (without starting another post, The M&P is'nt working out for me) I recently picked up a HK USP,9mm and so far it has lived up to my expectations,I'm planning on buying a USP compact in 9mm after selling the M&P. Currently, mags aren't that much more expensive than XD or M&P mags are, and yes, I'm aware that parts are hard to get, but, Generally speaking, HK's don't break that often..and my understanding is HK is building, or has already built, a new facility in Georiga so, the parts may not be so diffciult to get in the future, Besides... The USP is about a lightyear ahead of any XD, or XDM...

Solid
01-18-09, 12:16
The USP is a pretty time tested design. That and a Sig seem to offer the best DA/SA platform.

Hellfire
01-18-09, 15:15
My main gripe with the Springfield XD, is it's just a rebadged Croatian HS2000. The HS2000 was never popular, and sales were dismal. Springfield began marketing it as the "XD" or "Extreme Duty" handgun, added a couple hundred dollars to the price tag and it started flying off the shelves. Maybe a stupid reason not to like it, but "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t". I have fired several and they ran fine and grouped fine, but they are really just a bastardized Glock. I just don't understand why people are paying more for the same weapon because Springfield put their name on it.

Saginaw79
01-18-09, 15:50
Thats a change. Used to be the XDs were better priced than the Glocks by far. This was a number of years ago too!

Jack_Stroker
01-18-09, 16:44
Thats a change. Used to be the XDs were better priced than the Glocks by far. This was a number of years ago too!

They are pretty close to the same price now. Most of their models are in the $500 to $600 range. There are a few Glocks that tend to go for a little more money, but generally speaking they are pretty comparable in price.

Hellfire
01-18-09, 16:49
My point was that the XD when first released from Springfield was about $200 more than when it was "just" an HS2000.

Jack_Stroker
01-18-09, 16:50
My point was that the XD when first released from Springfield was about $200 more than when it was "just" an HS2000.

All they did was add an accessory rail, add Springfield XD markings and they changed the finish.

Hellfire
01-18-09, 16:56
All they did was add an accessory rail, add Springfield XD markings and they changed the finish.

I believe the first ones didn't even have the rail, but I do remember hearing about the new "finish". HS2000's were being sold for low $300's I saw some at a local gunshow for $289. This was pre Springfield.

ralph
01-18-09, 17:00
I've been in a few local shops and looked at the new XDM...it was priced in the $6-650 range...getting close to HK territory..Alot of money, and not alot of improvement...I can't see it, but hey, It's better than a highpoint.....

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-09, 17:02
My main gripe with the Springfield XD, is it's just a rebadged Croatian HS2000. The HS2000 was never popular, and sales were dismal. Springfield began marketing it as the "XD" or "Extreme Duty" handgun, added a couple hundred dollars to the price tag and it started flying off the shelves. Maybe a stupid reason not to like it, but "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t". I have fired several and they ran fine and grouped fine, but they are really just a bastardized Glock. I just don't understand why people are paying more for the same weapon because Springfield put their name on it.

I don't know about unpopular, ther HS2000 had almost a cult following, not saying that makes it a good gun or anything. Not many people would probably take a look at a gun made in Croatia, but then again, Springfields aren't made in Mass. anymore, are they?

I thought a major reasn it never caught on awas that HS brought it in as a SA gun, and because of that it never could get DA/SA status for IDPA, that's with out discussing the merits of whether the USA trigger would a DA/SA.

Maybe its just my hands, but my XD40 was just a dream to shoot, even with its higher bore axis. Fits my hand better than a Glock by far, better than my P226 maybe not as good as a P220 not in the same league as a 1911.

David Bowie, when he's not on tour, probably didn't mod many XD because like another poster said, there wasn't much to do to them?

How did the mags get bent? I got rid of my XD40 a few years ago, and I don't remember the mags being that fragile or ductile.

The amazing thing to me in all this, is if Glock could just come out with a grip that is somewhat based on the human hand, it would have killed all these other plastic fantastics.

Sometimes I wish there was a clearing house for gun repairs and faults data to get to the bottom of all the anecdotal data.

ROBZ71LM7
01-18-09, 17:06
I thought early XD's (the ones with rust problems) had the same finish as the HS2000. Anyways it was interesting being able to buy an HS2000 locally for $250 one year and an XD for 400 the next. The later HS2000's, while they were still being imported here, had the rail:

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/hsarms/news/generations.html

So really Springfield did nothing but throw their name on the pistol and jack the price up over 50%.

I sold mine in '04 after they stopped selling parts-now that seems to be reversing. However, at this point I don't think they can make up ground now that the M&P has taken over.

Hellfire
01-18-09, 17:19
I don't know about unpopular, ther HS2000 had almost a cult following, not saying that makes it a good gun or anything. Not many people would probably take a look at a gun made in Croatia, but then again, Springfields aren't made in Mass. anymore, are they?

I thought a major reasn it never caught on awas that HS brought it in as a SA gun, and because of that it never could get DA/SA status for IDPA, that's with out discussing the merits of whether the USA trigger would a DA/SA.

Maybe its just my hands, but my XD40 was just a dream to shoot, even with its higher bore axis. Fits my hand better than a Glock by far, better than my P226 maybe not as good as a P220 not in the same league as a 1911.

David Bowie, when he's not on tour, probably didn't mod many XD because like another poster said, there wasn't much to do to them?

How did the mags get bent? I got rid of my XD40 a few years ago, and I don't remember the mags being that fragile or ductile.

The amazing thing to me in all this, is if Glock could just come out with a grip that is somewhat based on the human hand, it would have killed all these other plastic fantastics.

Sometimes I wish there was a clearing house for gun repairs and faults data to get to the bottom of all the anecdotal data.

Cults are rarely popular among the masses and are usually fringe existers. The HS2000 was not popular enough to exist without Springfield's marketing dollar. It was/is a decent design, that's why Springfield took it on, but it was not surviving on it's own merit.

bullitt5172
01-18-09, 19:35

I think you missed my point. He stated that the XD was the only one of the three that was constantly sent in to be fixed.

AvidBlue
01-19-09, 08:55
I think you missed my point. He stated that the XD was the only one of the three that was constantly sent in to be fixed.

Technically, you could say this about the GLOCK as well since his primary service appears to be correcting its grip (by removing the extraneous backstrap hump).

bullitt5172
01-19-09, 09:14
Technically, you could say this about the GLOCK as well since his primary service appears to be correcting its grip (by removing the extraneous backstrap hump).

Not quite, the grip will not render the gun inoperable ;) Some may find it more comfortable if they remove the bump, that is their preference.

Solid
01-19-09, 11:52

Not quite, the grip will not render the gun inoperable ;) Some may find it more comfortable if they remove the bump, that is their preference.

Yep, grip modification is superfluous to the operation of the gun.

Says a lot about Glock when the only thing to "fix" is cosmetic or personal preference.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-19-09, 22:01

Says a lot about Glock when the only thing to "fix" is cosmetic or personal preference.

I don't like Glocks, really don't like to shoot them. If someone came to me in a rush and said they needed a gun to defend their life, I'd tell them to grab a Glock. To me the Glock is an LCD that run's great, but if I have some time to work on my skills, I'd run with a 1911. If someone handed me $600 for a gamer gun, I'd buy a XDm. Horses for courses.

Quote (HellFire) Cults are rarely popular among the masses and are usually fringe existers. The HS2000 was not popular enough to exist without Springfield's marketing dollar. It was/is a decent design, that's why Springfield took it on, but it was not surviving on it's own merit.

No doubt. Sometime I think that something obsure and odd will gain a small following of contrarian thinkers just because. The ultimate in the gun world with be the H&K P7 shooters, heck their website ParkCities tactical revolves around the "P7 Cult" topic. WE do love our squeeze-cockers.

Solid
01-19-09, 22:06
I just mean as a combat pistol. Not some ISPC/IDPA game gun or a safe queen.

I have 1911s, but for carry or combat I would rather have 15+ rounds than 8.

ToddG
01-20-09, 00:36
As has already been stated, they fail more often and at a faster rate than comparable guns. A few M4C posters may have guns that have "a lot of rounds through them" but the folks I know who have put 5-figure volume through the XD have generally suffered problems.

Furthermore, as I mentioned on a similar thread just a minute ago, you have to remember that the XD requires you to have a near-perfect grip on the pistol to manipulate the slide. This is particularly unwelcome when performing one handed manipulations under stress.

DocGKR
01-20-09, 01:00
Bingo! The inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult. This is a no go for me. In addition, in some tests, the .40 XD's have broken a lot of parts...

Jack_Stroker
01-20-09, 08:44
I've never had a problem getting a decent grip that presses down the grip safety. I've got about 3,000 rounds through my XD-45 Tactical and just over a 1,000 through my XD-45 Service. Nither have ever given me any issues. With that said, I now have two Glocks. A Glock 21SF and a Glock 36 which I'm really starting to like quite a bit better than the XD.

AvidBlue
01-20-09, 09:54

It does say alot when one of a weapon's design flaws is significant enough to create a new industry.

Jack_Stroker
01-20-09, 10:07
It does say alot when one of a weapon's design flaws is significant enough to create a new industry.

Well the fat hump on the back of the grip was something that even Glock felt the need to address. Hence why we now have SF models.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-20-09, 16:34
Bingo! The inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult. This is a no go for me. In addition, in some tests, the .40 XD's have broken a lot of parts...

I think that some people were molested by grip safeties as children....

How do you rack a slide with out depressing the grip safety? Hook the trigger guard with a finger and pull back on the slide? Drop the mag, double-diddle the mag well with two fingers and pull back the slide? Grag the slide and jam the grip on the edge of a table?

I had an XD for three years and I never knew the slide woudn't move with out depressing the grip safety?

Vendetta
01-20-09, 17:59
I started off with an XD since it felt great at that time when I was looking for a pistol. After that I had bought a Glock 26 for carry, I quickly traded my XD for a Glock 19. The Glock's grip was more my preference and as stated, once I became more familiar with shooting and the pistol, I did not like the safety on the back strap. The XD also seemed a lot larger and top heavy compared to Glocks, which isn't that much of an issue, just came down to comfort on my part.

Edit: I also didn't like the fact that the XD had to be sent back to get repairs done.

Jack_Stroker
01-20-09, 19:30
I started off with an XD since it felt great at that time when I was looking for a pistol. After that I had bought a Glock 26 for carry, I quickly traded my XD for a Glock 19. The Glock's grip was more my preference and as stated, once I became more familiar with shooting and the pistol, I did not like the safety on the back strap. The XD also seemed a lot larger and top heavy compared to Glocks, which isn't that much of an issue, just came down to comfort on my part.

Edit: I also didn't like the fact that the XD had to be sent back to get repairs done.

I've actually checked specifications for many of the Glocks and XD's looking to change my concealed carry options. The Glocks are actually slightly smaller. The XD-45 Tactical for example is bigger in almost every way than the Glock 21 is. The Glock 21 looks larger because of how blocky the slide is, but the truth is the XD is the larger gun. Albiet slightly. The slides are the same thickness at the widest part of the gun. Though the XD slide is thicker at the bottom and thinner up top. The XD isn't as accurate as the Glock. Which is why I now prefer the Glock. I really had to shoot one to really know how bad the XD was. Not to say they are bad guns, but their accuracy suffers due to the high bore axis. At least for me. Plus I think the XD mag design is inferior to the Glock magazine design.

SpartanArms
01-20-09, 20:34
To answer the OPs question

No, as far as I am aware there is nothing internally "flawed" about the XD. The only issue I have had with XDs in my limited personal experience has been the grip safety. It does keep you from retracting the slide if not fully depressed, which can be a serious hindrance to performing weak hand/injured drills. The same cannot be said about other pistols featuring a grip safety (i.e. 1911).

While attending a class at Thunder Ranch in '07, I saw Clint Smith run a full size XD45 the entire class and he had no problems with it. As a matter of fact, he is quite the fan of the XD series guns, at least the full-size models. This coming from a man who has "seen the elephant" on more than one occasion. However, any short-comings of the XD may be outweighed by his considerable amount of time behind a pistol.

On the other hand, Larry Vickers (who has fired more rounds down-range than the average shooter does in two lifetimes) has absolutely no love for the weapon at all. If I may quote him, "The XD's are Bubba Guns. Junk that Bubba buys for cheap and goes to the dump and shoots rats with." While many might say that LAV is an elitist who thinks nothing other than HK45s or high-dollar 1911s are acceptable, that is simply not the case. Larry frequently runs a nearly bone-stock Glock19 in his classes to illustrate that it is the "singer and not the song" that makes the difference in a fight.

Personally I think there are much better choices for the money. I would look at a Glock or an M&P.

jc75754
01-20-09, 21:34
I have a tactical xd-40 and have shot about 3500 rounds total. 500 of which was wolf steel cased ammo. No problems at all. My only complaint is the weak finish but I will fix that by applying Duracote to the slide. The Finish kit costs about $60 and one kit I did Mossberg 500, and AK + 4 mags. well worth the money. Plus for 60 more you can make it any color you want.

PRGGodfather
01-21-09, 00:03
Well, I personally know two noobs who bought XD's and managed to reassemble them so incorrectly, the pistols were completely seized.

Both contacted Springfield, and Springfield advised both of them that the pistols could not be repaired. They were offered new pistols at the discounted price of $200, since even Springfield couldn't get them apart.

Now, maybe these two clowns were extemely talented, but I might suggest the ability to reassemble so incorrectly it results in a complete seizure is a potential design flaw.

Both were XD45's, FWIW. Other than that, I don't really have a significant and not already mentioned opinion as to its design.

Good luck, regardless!

Be safe...

ToddG
01-21-09, 00:12
Now, maybe these two clowns were extemely talented, but I might suggest the ability to reassemble so incorrectly it results in a complete seizure is a potential design flaw.

The mag catch of a SIG-Sauer Classic (P220-series) pistol can be installed in such a way that the mag will never lock in the gun, and repairing the problem often requires drilling the frame. It's fairly easy to mess up (you just install a pin upside down) and is covered at length in the armorer school. Nonetheless, it happens fairly frequently.

Jack_Stroker
01-22-09, 09:49
Well, I personally know two noobs who bought XD's and managed to reassembly them so incorrectly, the pistols were completely seized.

Both contacted Springfield, and Springfield advised both of them that the pistols could not be repaired. They were offered new pistols at the discounted price of $200, since even Springfield couldn't get them apart.

Both were XD45's, FWIW. Other than that, I don't really have a significant and not already mentioned opinion as to its design.

Good luck, regardless!

Be safe...

I have heard of Springfield XD's siezing the action like that but I never heard of it happening from incorrect assembly. I had thought this had been addressed and I hadn't heard it in quite some time.

danish
01-22-09, 10:28
I have 4,000+ rounds through my XD-9 with no hiccups and it's a tack driver. It seems to me I see more and more XD's at matches than I do Glocks or M&Ps. I did have to Duracoat the slide since mine was made prior to 4/06 which is when they started to melonite the slides.

Jack_Stroker
01-22-09, 11:22
Well the XD is becoming quite popular in general. I think its a Glock style weapon for people who don't like Glocks.

Bob RI
01-22-09, 19:37
In terms of poly pistols, I started with Glocks (a G22 and a customized G35) and now have 2 XD's..I really wanted to hate the XD and went a LONG time without buying one, when I finally did, I was shocked at how well I shot it. The reset was not as good but I was still reasonably fast with it. The XD also feels more natural. The XD does not care for sloppy reloads and LSWC can give it some issues but I mostly shoot lead out of my 1911's and 625 - not a deal breaker for me....and at least I don't need to buy a KKM to shoot lead out of it. I have no complaints about my Glocks, I just like the XD better.

From what I've read, when it first came out, the XD had an MSRP of $80 more than the HS and included a rail, front cocking serrations and QC performed in the U.S.

Most parts ARE available outside the factory:
http://www.pistolgear.com/springfieldxd.php

HK45
01-22-09, 20:36
Right. Extra "features" I don't need or want.

HK45
01-22-09, 20:36
No, thats the M&P..:D

Well the XD is becoming quite popular in general. I think its a Glock style weapon for people who don't like Glocks.

Jack_Stroker
01-22-09, 22:12
No, thats the M&P..:D

No that's the gun for people who don't like Glocks, and don't like XD's either. :D

ARin
01-22-09, 22:37
my experience with the xd is positive. my xd9 service has been a great pistol through classes, 3-gun shooting and thousands of rounds.

I dont care about, or need some of the features (loaded indicator/backstrap safety) but they dont hinder me either. My main concern when shopping for a new pistol was one that AT LEAST had an ambi mag release. it is hard enough being left handed.

i HAVE bent feed lips but only when a full mag has been dropped on the deck, or an empty mag on concrete. Never bent a lip with empty mag on dirt.

The pistol is BIG, bulky, and difficult to conceal well. I wear it anyhow. I know what i can do with it, and that confidence outweighs whatever drawbacks come with the added bulk.

http://i37.tinypic.com/33tkv9e.jpg

Jack_Stroker
01-22-09, 22:55
my experience with the xd is positive. my xd9 service has been a great pistol through classes, 3-gun shooting and thousands of rounds.

I dont care about, or need some of the features (loaded indicator/backstrap safety) but they dont hinder me either. My main concern when shopping for a new pistol was one that AT LEAST had an ambi mag release. it is hard enough being left handed.

i HAVE bent feed lips but only when a full mag has been dropped on the deck, or an empty mag on concrete. Never bent a lip with empty mag on dirt.

The pistol is BIG, bulky, and difficult to conceal well. I wear it anyhow. I know what i can do with it, and that confidence outweighs whatever drawbacks come with the added bulk.

http://i37.tinypic.com/33tkv9e.jpg

I've carried my XD-45 Service model before. I've got over a thousand rounds through it and over 2,000 through my XD-45 Tactical. I just couldn't ever develope the confidence I have with the 1911. It isn't the reliability I'm not confident about but rather my ability to hit the target with it should the need arise. I can work the 1911 much more instinctually.

ARin
01-23-09, 00:09
people have a tendency to develop proficiency with whatever they "learned" to shoot on. For me, it was polymer framed 9mm's.

Jack_Stroker
01-23-09, 08:26
My first handgun was a Beretta 92FS. People tend to bash them but I think it is a fantastic gun. After 7,000 rounds or more, it has served me very well over the last 9 years. However, I have since "matured" in my firearms taste. Now I have and like quite a few other weapons better.

Though I still enjoy shooting my Beretta from time to time.

bcuzi8paintchips
01-28-09, 09:37
First off -- thanks for having me here.

I own an XD 9 Service, an M&P and a Glock 19. I prefer them in that order.

ralph
01-28-09, 19:52
I've carried my XD-45 Service model before. I've got over a thousand rounds through it and over 2,000 through my XD-45 Tactical. I just couldn't ever develope the confidence I have with the 1911. It isn't the reliability I'm not confident about but rather my ability to hit the target with it should the need arise. I can work the 1911 much more instinctually.

Look at the serial number on that XD.....:eek: That's the antichrist's XD!

BackBlast
01-29-09, 17:07
I have both a XD 9 and M&P 9. Overall, I like the M&P better and I shoot slightly better with it. I've taken a class with each, and they both ran fine. I can pick up either and feel confident in the weapon.

ToddG
01-29-09, 17:11
Look at the serial number on that XD.....:eek: That's the antichrist's XD!

Pretty sure that's photoshopped. :cool:

Mark/MO
01-29-09, 17:51
The fellow I shoot with bought an XD Tactical last fall and now has 1-2k through it. He really likes it. So far no problems and it shoots fine. On the downside it seems bulkier than my G-19 and I don't care for the loaded chamber indicator. Given the choice I prefer my G-19s.

Interestingly my friend was looking at a M&P but two local dealers told him they were sending back nearly all of the M&Ps they sold for repairs and recommended the XD. I wonder, was there really problems with the M&P or did they simply want to move the XD's? :confused:

mike240
01-29-09, 18:28
I have to use Glocks at work but won a XD 45 tactical and have learned to prefer it...with one complaint. After trigger reset, there is take up unlike the Glock. It may be possible to correct it however I have not looked into it. I prefer the grip angle of the XD 45 and of course the caliber. The G21 is too large for me. Preferring 1911s the Glock's trigger has always be inconsistent and mushy. I like the XDs better despite the slack after reset.

Jack_Stroker
01-29-09, 18:31
I've got a Glock 21SF and two XD-45's. I prefer the Glock. I think it feels better in the hand. I've got large hands though. I also shoot far better with the Glock than I do the Springfield XD.

danish
01-29-09, 19:06
I like the XDs better despite the slack after reset.
http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=51

Any of these items should cure your problem...I had the trigger in my XD-9 done and a set screw was used in the trigger bar to adjust the slack out.

torrpd
01-30-09, 00:49
I have over 10,000 rounds through my XD9 Tactical with no problem.

gogetal3
02-10-09, 16:16

Love mine. .40 cal. easy to shoot, clean, it is a bit bulky, i use a galco concealment holster and I find it to be noticable if your looking for it.......and some people do.....like me......so can anyone with experience with a sub compact xd suggest an alternative concealment holster?

Jack_Stroker
02-11-09, 09:47
I find that a lot of cant will allow the gun's grip to dissappear more easily.