PDA

View Full Version : New Tantal, a couple Q's

LH2
01-17-09, 11:14
I picked up my new Lancaster Tantal and got it home for its initial clean / lube. A couple observations / questions. This is my 1st AK. I already own a VZ.58 and initial impression is that the VZ is a nicer quality rifle that feels more solid. I'm looking forward to seeing how I like the 5.45 caliber though...

I screwed on the muzzle brake but it's still slightly loose. Is this normal? It won't make it one revolution tighter.

The gas piston has some play to it. It's not one solid piece?

Is there a diagram someplace that shows what points on an AK to lube? I just went with light grease coating where the bolt slides in the receiver and the bolt itself.

Do I apply grease to the gas piston?

Observations:

- Numbers match if that matters. Same # stamped on the various parts.

- Upper & lower hand guards do not match. One is red, one almost coyote brown. I was disappointed by this. Where can I order a matching set?

- Will any AK pistol grip fit the Tantal?

Thanks!

Jay Cunningham
01-17-09, 11:18
I picked up my new Lancaster Tantal and got it home for its initial clean / lube. A couple observations / questions. This is my 1st AK. I already own a VZ.58 and initial impression is that the VZ is a nicer quality rifle that feels more solid. I'm looking forward to seeing how I like the 5.45 caliber though...

I screwed on the muzzle brake but it's still slightly loose. Is this normal? It won't make it one revolution tighter. Normal - you can use a hi-temperature o-ring if it really bothers you.

The gas piston has some play to it. It's not one solid piece? It is pinned to the carrier and should have a slight amount of play.

Is there a diagram someplace that shows what points on an AK to lube? I just went with light grease coating where the bolt slides in the receiver and the bolt itself. Lube the lower rails and upper "rails" and the bolt. Then after you shoot it a bit lube anywhere else you see wear.

Do I apply grease to the gas piston? No.

Observations:

- Numbers match if that matters. Same # stamped on the various parts.

- Upper & lower hand guards do not match. One is red, one almost coyote brown. I was disappointed by this. Where can I order a matching set?

- Will any AK pistol grip fit the Tantal? I believe so.

Thanks!

replies in blue text

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-17-09, 17:16
I dont even know what that is?

senorlinc
01-17-09, 18:24
this is a Tantal....

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka281.html

not all tantals are created equal, do some searching about the CAI version

IrishDevil
01-17-09, 19:09
Every Tantal I've seen is this way, including mine.

- Will any AK pistol grip fit the Tantal? Yes, most any grip

Hope this helps

f.2
01-17-09, 19:17
I've got an excellent Tantal kit at Overland Industries. They should do a nice job.

Also have this hybrid one of a kind Tantal underfolder:

Tantal underfolder (http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=569877#569877)

milled uf stock

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/edtrevino99/DSCN4579.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/edtrevino99/DSCN4578.jpg

f.2
01-17-09, 19:21
How's it shoot?

I picked up my new Lancaster Tantal and got it home for its initial clean / lube.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-17-09, 19:27
Thanks for showing me I like it.

LH2
01-17-09, 20:21
F2 - I just picked it up yesterday and haven't had it out to the range yet. Maybe tomorrow, otherwise next Friday I should get a chance. :cool:

I had no idea that Tantals usually have the non-matching hand guards. So no big deal!

HighSpeedDreams
01-17-09, 20:57
They're great rifles. I think you will enjoy yours.

If not, sell me your mags.

Cheers.

LH2
01-23-09, 15:05
How's it shoot?

It is freakin' awesome! :cool:

No key holing (didn't expect in since the barrel is orig Polish). Accurate enough for what it is.

Might look into getting an optic, but I'm guessing this is a pain on a Tantal with the proprietary hand guard...