PDA

View Full Version : SLR-105 AAR of sorts.

RyanS
06-19-06, 09:42
Got the rifle, shot the rifle, love the rifle. When I picked it up, I discovered that my gun store had 300 rounds of Barnaul 5.45 FMJ for me to add to my 3000+ rounds of 7N6. After my Bennie Cooley handgun course was over this weekend, I and several of my cohorts took the opportunity to start the function testing. As fast as we could, 120 rounds were sent down range. Not one problem. Would have shot more but it was Father's Day and we all needed to get home. I would have like to have shot all ammo myself, however, when three grown men are standing there like kids in a candy store, it was just too much to bear. Several observations and a few questions:

1) True to the AK form, the gun gets HOT!!! This was driven home by the nice kiss it gave a fellow shooter. It must have not been too bad as he couldn't wipe the smile off his face when he was finished. I noticed that at the end of shooting, the foreend was almost too hot to handle. Will the Surefire AK rail work with this rifle? I think a VFG might help alleviate this problem.

2) The gun is just plain accurate and extremely easy to shoot. I don't know if it's soley because of the cartridge or the cartridge in combination with the muzzle break, but no could stop commenting on how easy it was to control during rapid shooting.

3) The finish and Gun Scrubber do not mix. :eek: The only reason I used it was to blow out the muzzle break but have decided that it should instead be placed in back of my cabinet. I'm not quite sure what the finish is, but I am tempted to have the rifle, dare I say, parkerized.

4) The muzzle break has a slight amount of wobble on the barrel. I'm not too concerned about this as I don't see how it could become a problem, however, I would like to know if this is typical.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my purchase and I would suggest that if anyone is considering getting an AK, take a look at an SLR-105 if you can find one.

M4arc
06-19-06, 17:27
IIRC the SLR-105s are made in Bulgaria and the finish they use is junk. If you're concerned about it contact Arsenal Inc (http://www.arsenalinc.com) and they will have you send it to Nevada for a good ole USA refinish ;)

RyanS
06-19-06, 18:08
IIRC the SLR-105s are made in Bulgaria and the finish they use is junk. If you're concerned about it contact Arsenal Inc (http://www.arsenalinc.com) and they will have you send it to Nevada for a good ole USA refinish ;)

I didn't want to come right out and say it....it is an AK afterall, but the finish is not the greatest as you so eloquently put it. I was looking a little more closely at it tonight and I see in a few places where it appears that there is paint bubbling on the barrel. It's a minor thing. I do think I will contact Arsenal and see what they say though. Please don't take of my comments as complaints as I cannot recommend the rifle highly enough.

M4arc
06-19-06, 18:12
I didn't want to come right out and say it....it is an AK afterall, but the finish is not the greatest as you so eloquently put it. I was looking a little more closely at it tonight and I see in a few places where it appears that there is paint bubbling on the barrel. It's a minor thing. I do think I will contact Arsenal and see what they say though. Please don't take of my comments as complaints as I cannot recommend the rifle highly enough.

The ones built in Bulgarian (stamped receivers) use some spray on stuff that doesn't hold up well. Actually it doesn't hold up at all...

Both milled receivers I own are flawless because they are built and finished here in the USA.

I hear what you're saying; talking about AKs and 'finish' is sort of silly but it's one thing if you beat the piss out of it but it's another thing entirely if you can wipe the finish off with hot soapy water!

TigerStripe
06-25-06, 22:54
May I ask where you bought yours and the approximate cost?

TIA,

TS

RyanS
06-26-06, 13:03
May I ask where you bought yours and the approximate cost?

TIA,

TS

TS, I got it from Atlantic Arms. It was just shy of $600. It's definitely a keeper.

TigerStripe
06-27-06, 02:49
TS, I got it from Atlantic Arms. It was just shy of $600. It's definitely a keeper.

I want one! The ammo availability scares me, but I have other SHTF guns. Thanks!

TS

Heavy Metal
07-05-06, 19:31
Look on the bright side.

Makes the old finish easy to strip. Has a good phosphate under the finish and mine came out nice with a treatment of satin KG Gunkote. I also put plum Warsaw Pact length furniture on my rifle too.

yasnevo
07-16-06, 13:35
the ammo is readily available... its being imported from Russia from 3 separate factories... (Wolf 2, Bear 1)...

I have several and I do mean several 5.45x39 firearms... I like the round allot.

During the last High Risk Civilian Contractor Course that was held in Arizona I demonstrated how this round can effectively penetrate vehicle doors...etc...

Your 105 is a damn fine weapon.

Y-

RyanS
07-18-06, 15:56
One question, is it normal for the FH/MB supposed to be a little loose?

M4arc
07-18-06, 16:11
One question, is it normal for the FH/MB supposed to be a little loose?

Yes, perfectly normal. The pin on the FSB keeps in from spinning off. You have nothing to worry about.

TOrrock
07-27-06, 20:32
The finish on most military AK's is crap, which is why the ones you see in use around the world tend to be shiny.

The Bulgarian paint does not hold up well to US commercial solvents or GS, although I use Ballistol with no issues.

The wobble on the brake is perfectly normal, as Marc has stated. Back in the bad old days of the AWB, us AK guys took the wobble to mean freedom....since it meant that the muzzle device hadn't been welded on.

The 5.45mm round, with the exception of the commercial 70 gr. stuff, is a more accurate round than the 7.62x39mm. As you've noticed, it's also a pussycat to shoot.

Love my SLR-105A1...in plum!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Range%20Day%209-13-05/Half%20Sized%20Range%20Day/RangePics9-13-05002.jpg

RyanS
07-28-06, 15:56
Thanks Templar. When I got the rifle, the box it came in appeared as though someone had thrown it in the back of a cement truck and let it spin a few times. I was relieved to see that the rifle was okay...but the appearance of the box gave me a bad vibe and I've been very analytical of my rifle. Shooting it put most of my concerns to rest. Just wanted to put to rest the concerns about the finish and brake.