PDA

View Full Version : The NEW Les Baer Police Special M4

SERT103
01-18-09, 09:35
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/mamartin043/lesbaer.jpg

For $1700, you think they wouldn't put the castle nut on backwards :eek:. And if your thinking that its just this one, its not. I saw it in the new issue of American Rifleman and its on backwards there too. I couldn't find any technical specs on it.

Jay Cunningham
01-18-09, 10:18
Another example of "as good as"...

mmike87
01-18-09, 10:38
Baer and Wilson should stick to making 1911's.

Sam
01-18-09, 12:20
... and you get a $2 sling. Amazing.

fabulous45s
01-18-09, 13:19
I particularly like the invisible "stealth" rail covers.

Iraqgunz
01-18-09, 13:54
Please tell me this is on their website so I can email them and tell them how dumb they are. WTF, over? Yeah, I'd buy it. NOT!

Jay Cunningham
01-18-09, 13:57
Please tell me this is on their website so I can email them and tell them how dumb they are. WTF, over? Yeah, I'd buy it. NOT!

Tell them that you are a gunwriter and they'll give you one!! For your "fair and impartial" review!!1!1

:D

AirmanAtwood
01-18-09, 14:17
wats the twist on the barrel?

Irish10
01-18-09, 14:20
You sure it doesn't have "Made in Taiwan" stamped on it!

SoDak
01-18-09, 14:37
Has anyone ever found out who makes their free float handguard? I have always wondered if they are of such great quality, why don't they use a handguard that has been proven(DD, larue, etc)?

Iraqgunz
01-18-09, 14:39
If you go to their website and look at the AR depicted on there it appears that the castle nut is installed backwards on that one as well. Needless to say I have sent them a cheery email. :D

Iraqgunz
01-18-09, 14:40
Quantity over quality and more money that's why.

Has anyone ever found out who makes their free float handguard? I have always wondered if they are of such great quality, why don't they use a handguard that has been proven(DD, larue, etc)?

N4LtRecce
01-18-09, 14:52
Funny, I was just reading American Rifleman and saw this thing. It looks like crap....

03humpalot
01-18-09, 14:57
Les Baer when varmint guns go tactical:rolleyes:

ST911
01-18-09, 15:52
From the Les Baer website. Includes a "precision bolt and extractor" and Timney match trigger group. Ugh.

http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223.html

From Les Baer Custom "POLICE SPECIAL" Custom 16" AR .223

The original Chief Special was a plain Jane revolver that really didn't have a lot of special features, but it got the job done anyway. Les Baer Custom's new Police Special, on the other hand, is a full featured dynamo of a rifle that's specially designed and built to include every important feature any law enforcement officer could ever want... and none of the stuff he doesn't. Most important, it delivers performance far superior to any other 16" AR-style rifle on the market. It's even guaranteed to shoot 1" MOA with match ammo.

As a patrol carbine or a high energy tactical rifle, the Les Baer Police Special is the new class of the law enforcement market. It's loaded with the thoughtful, businesslike features that make it a serious pro, and it's intentionally devoid of the amateur gee-gaws that cheapen the purpose and limit the usefulness of a police rifle for real police work. Features include:
LBC forged and machined upper and lower receiver • Removable carry handle with rear sight • Picatinny flattop rail on upper • Standard style carrier • Precision bolt and extractor • 16" precision button rifled steel barrel with 1X8 twist • 5-position collapsible stock • Special 4-way Picatinny handguard free floated • Lockable sling swivel mounted on stud on 4-way handguard • 1" nylon sling • A2 style flash hider • Hard coat anodized upper and lower • Phosphate finish on steel parts • Steel front sight base • Timney Match trigger group • (2) 30-round magazines

Kchen986
01-18-09, 16:20
1 MOA. I think RRA guarantees their rifles to do that.

I would have thought for that price, they'd include a chromelined barrel.

Eric
01-18-09, 17:26
As a patrol carbine or a high energy tactical rifle I wonder what a high enegry tactical rile is. Does it run on 440VAC? :rolleyes:

Timney Match trigger group In a patrol rifle? :rolleyes:

AR .223 Not specifically listed, but guessing a .223 chamber. :rolleyes:

for real police work Obviously. :rolleyes:

AirTrafficControl
01-18-09, 17:41
Just wondering why everyone is ragging on this particular rifle? Price I'm assuming?

mmike87
01-18-09, 17:43
I wonder what a high enegry tactical rile is. Does it run on 440VAC? :rolleyes:
In a patrol rifle? :rolleyes:
Not specifically listed, but guessing a .223 chamber. :rolleyes:
Obviously. :rolleyes:

I was thinking "phased plasma rifle in the 20 watt range" or something to that effect - but apparently they mean this rifle.

subzero
01-18-09, 17:47
Just wondering why everyone is ragging on this particular rifle? Price I'm assuming?

If I had to guess it would be that it's a rifle offered at a premium price but without premium quality build (indicated by the backwards castle nut) or premium quality HD parts (high speed competition triggers do not belong in HD rifles).

If it were $1100 or so, I don't think you'd hear much jabbering.

Joe_Friday
01-18-09, 18:56
You could always buy this for the "Buy Now" price of $4,000. :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120714089

C4IGrant
01-18-09, 19:29

Low quality and high cost.

C4

AirTrafficControl
01-18-09, 22:57

C4
Roger that

taliv
01-19-09, 08:35
i've been ragging on his other AR15s for years for simply hideously bad configuration choices.

the closest i would get to owning a les baer is this KAC SR-25 rumored to have once been owned by LB :D http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120995407

NoBody
01-19-09, 09:26
Baer and Wilson should stick to making 1911's.

Concur.

CobraBG
01-19-09, 14:16
I would agree that the price is way high. I haven't seen one so I can't comment on the quality. I do however own a Les Baer Super Varmint AR in .223 and it is very well made and accurate. For an M4 I'll stick with my Colt 6920.

rodinal220
01-20-09, 09:25
Nothing special about Baers AR15s.He uses the same parts as everyone else;).For $1700 you could build the gun yourself and buy 10 mags and ammo.

Yojimbo
01-20-09, 10:34

C4

BBBut, it's a LES BAER!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously,I wonder why these 1911 builders don't do a bit of research before putting together one of their "Match/Combat" carbines? If they just opened their eyes they would see that there are a lot quality parts they could be using instead of cheap low-end stuff they're using.

To me most of the specs and parts used on the AR's from 1911 builders seem like they are still trying to make them like they did in the 90's...

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 10:36
BBBut, it's a LES BAER!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously,I wonder why these 1911 builders don't do a bit of research before putting together one of their "Match/Combat" carbines? If they just opened their eyes they would see that there are a lot quality parts they could be using instead of cheap low-end stuff they're using.

To me most of the specs and parts used on the AR's from 1911 builders seem like they are still trying to make them like they did in the 90's...

If you think the LB is bad, you should have seen the STI AR! Horrible to put it nicely.

C4

Iraqgunz
01-20-09, 11:11
If you go to the Les Baer homepage and look closely at the carbine there, the castle nut appears to be on backwards as well. I am still wiating for them to respond to my email.

tango-papa
01-20-09, 12:03
If you go to the Les Baer homepage and look closely at the carbine there, the castle nut appears to be on backwards as well. I am still wiating for them to respond to my email.

I'm guessing you will not hear back from them.

~tp

SoDak
01-20-09, 12:22

There was a similar thread to this over on TOS and if I remember right someone did get a response from Les Baer. The response was that they are intentionally installing the castle nut backwards to prevent snagging or something stupid like that.

Here's the thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=420052

TheGhostRider
01-20-09, 20:26
You guys sure these aren't assembled by Century Arms?:p

Not to sound too derogatory but I would be hard pressed to purchase ANY products from LB; After all, if LB does this kind of work on the AR platform... are the pistols really any better?

Just something to think about.

N4LtRecce
04-22-09, 15:27
Saw these in the latest American Rifleman. The article stated numerous times that nearly all the parts are made in house, with only a few exceptions (Doubt it). Also, they said that the backwards castle nut was a result of SWAT requests, so that they don't cut their fingers on the castle nut when adjusting the stock :confused:

Thomas M-4
04-22-09, 16:10
LAO there was a new guy at the range last weekend with a brand new just out of the box les baer police special I didn't get to close looking at it I wish i would have known about the castle nut being installed backwards I would have pointed to my LMT for him to see how it was supposed to be installed. Maybe ill see him again LMAO I didn't know Les Baers were put together that way.

30 cal slut
04-22-09, 17:04
handled one recently. ffl was like, "look at this, you're gonna love this."

i took one look at the lack of castle nut/receiver plate staking, and asked the dealer to put it back on the shelf.

Thomas M-4
04-22-09, 17:28
As a patrol carbine or a high energy tactical rifle, the Les Baer Police Special is the new class of the law enforcement market. It's loaded with the thoughtful, businesslike features that make it a serious pro, and it's intentionally devoid of the amateur gee-gaws that cheapen the purpose and limit the usefulness of a police rifle for real police work. :rolleyes:
I never looked at the literature before I cant stop LMFAO .
I wish I would have found this thread before last week that guy at the range had never owned a rifle before And the first thing he buys is a Les Baer at god knows what price sticks an Eotech on it before he even gets the Irons sighted in and is telling everbody he just bought a case of ammo. LMFAO so wished I knew about the castle nut I would have sent him home crying buy just pointing that out.

I guess my KAC rail is gee-gaw that cheapens the purpose
Also guess my Magpul ctr gee-gaw buttstock limits its usefulness

I JUST CANT STOP LMFAO

Irish
04-22-09, 17:31
Really love shooting my Wilson CQB but I would never purchase a rifle from them or Baer. They should stick to building semi-custom 1911s.

cobra90gt
04-22-09, 19:38
FWIW, the March issue/print of "Shotgun News" offered a review of this rifle...

mmike87
04-23-09, 07:34
Saw these in the latest American Rifleman. The article stated numerous times that nearly all the parts are made in house, with only a few exceptions (Doubt it). Also, they said that the backwards castle nut was a result of SWAT requests, so that they don't cut their fingers on the castle nut when adjusting the stock :confused:

I read that last night ... that can't be true, can it? :confused:

E53001
04-23-09, 14:28
As a patrol carbine or a high energy tactical rifle, the Les Baer Police Special is the new class of the law enforcement market. It's loaded with the thoughtful, businesslike features that make it a serious pro, and it's intentionally devoid of the amateur gee-gaws that cheapen the purpose and limit the usefulness of a police rifle for real police work. :rolleyes:
I never looked at the literature before I cant stop LMFAO .
I wish I would have found this thread before last week that guy at the range had never owned a rifle before And the first thing he buys is a Les Baer at god knows what price sticks an Eotech on it before he even gets the Irons sighted in and is telling everbody he just bought a case of ammo. LMFAO so wished I knew about the castle nut I would have sent him home crying buy just pointing that out.

I guess my KAC rail is gee-gaw that cheapens the purpose
Also guess my Magpul ctr gee-gaw buttstock limits its usefulness

I JUST CANT STOP LMFAO

Atleast the guy has the right idea on picking up ammo to shoot it haha, out of all his purchases i think thats the only one where he went right, hopefully it wasnt a case of wolf or rem. UMC haha