PDA

View Full Version : Dillon's Super Swage 600???

10MMGary
01-18-09, 15:10
Anyone here using one to remove the primer pocket crimp on 5.56 NATO cases? Recommend it or thumbs down? Tips for best use if you own one and like it. Does Dillon's no BS warrenty apply to this piece of equipment?

TIA,
Gary

ARx3
01-18-09, 17:38
I've been using one for over 20 years for 5.56,.308,and .30/06 as well as 9mm and .45ACP. It's simple and straight forward to use and as with all Dillon equiptment their "NO BS" warrenty applies.

agr1279
01-19-09, 08:43
Anyone here using one to remove the primer pocket crimp on 5.56 NATO cases? Recommend it or thumbs down? Tips for best use if you own one and like it. Does Dillon's no BS warrenty apply to this piece of equipment?

TIA,
Gary

They are the bomb. It is a one use tool since once you swage a pocket it is done with that case. Bought mine when it was pretty cheap. Not sure what it goes for now.

Dan

winky
01-19-09, 08:46
love mine. Its the hands down best tool to do the job.

g5m
01-19-09, 08:49
They work fine.

markm
01-19-09, 10:27
Sold mine. I didn't like how the swager needed to be dialed in for different kinds of the same caliber of brass.

I wasn't consistent at all. Either you made the pocket too loose or you have a small percentage of crimps that weren't removed completely.

I didn't like the thing at all.

I'm using the hornady primer crimp cutting tool with much better results. Just chuck the cutter in a drill and go to town just as fast as the swager except that it's about $60 cheaper. :cool:

Bat Guano
01-19-09, 19:33
Have had mine for almost ten years now; have processed a LOT of GI brass in 7.62, '06, and 5.56 through it with zero issues. Since the adjusting rod is--adjustable-- initial setting matters. After that, you are limited by only your manual dexterity and endurance. Great invention.

Used the RCBS primer pocket swager for a brief time prior to that. :( Sure was happy to see that go.:cool:

Gewehr455
01-20-09, 09:33
Mine gave me good results. I'd recommend it.

markm
01-20-09, 09:37
Even for the guys who like the Swager, the hornady tool is a cheap, handy, must have for your bench top. You can spin a few crimps off by hand if you need to... without haveing to set up the swager or change the primer size.

g5m
01-20-09, 11:10
The cheapest and fastest crimp remover, IMO, is a tapered reamer, like a small pipe reamer, set up in a half inch hand drill gripped in a bench vise. Turn the drill on and hold the primer pocket against the reamer with some pressure and the crimp metal is reamed off very quickly. You might want to wear some gloves if you're doing a few hundred or more but it works well and is fast.

Incidentally, if you're reloading 7.62 and using Lake City (LC) brass you might find a significant difference in the depth of the primer pockets. A lot of variability there and some of the primer pockets are so shallow (1970's era brass) that you crush primers trying to push them into the pocket and have the primer surface deeper than the base of the cartridge base. Could be a cause of a slamfire I'd imagine.

markm
01-20-09, 12:24
The cheapest and fastest crimp remover, IMO, is a tapered reamer, like a small pipe reamer, set up in a half inch hand drill gripped in a bench vise. Turn the drill on and hold the primer pocket against the reamer with some pressure and the crimp metal is reamed off very quickly. You might want to wear some gloves if you're doing a few hundred or more but it works well and is fast.

That's essentially how the hornady works. It comes with a handle so you can do some brass without chucking it up.

The hornady is self limiting. If you can get the brass on it pretty straight, you're good to go.