PDA

View Full Version : Pistol families

Gentoo
01-19-09, 02:20
I've been doing some thinking and based on some reading from Todd G and others, I am going to get rid of my extra pistols that I don't shoot, and my wife and I are going to standardize one one brand of pistol, sight setup, etc for both home defense and carry. The reasoning is, if something happens to me or vice versa, we will be familiar with each others weapon.

We are going to use 9mm as our cartridge of choice. Size wise, I prefer compact and she prefers subcompact.

So, other than the Glock 19/26 or S&W M&P9/M&P9c, are there any other quality 'bet my life on it' pistols that I should consider?

IrishDevil
01-19-09, 09:26
The only other choice I would consider would be the HK P2000/2000K. HK, Glock, and S&W are your only quality choices. I personally would go Glock, especially now that it seems Crimson Trace has better designs for Glock laser grips coming out. Otherwise I'd go S&W, quality CTC grips are already available.

markm
01-19-09, 09:30
Enjoy your Glocks. :cool:

Ricardus
01-19-09, 09:42
You may also want to look at the CZ 75B compact, and other CZ offerings. They are relatively speaking inexpensive and are excellent pistols. Angus Hobdell at CZ custom can also work on building you an excellent pistol for the price of what you would pay for these other brands.

ST911
01-19-09, 15:30
Glocks 19 and 26 are excellent choices with proven track records. You can also obtain spares for each part within, unlike several other potentional options. There's no compelling reason to even consider others.

Deputy91
01-19-09, 16:39
I vote for the Glocks. The other benefit for the 19/26/17 combos is that the only part unique to each one is the recoil sping assembly. Firing pins assys, trigger assys. are the same. (That is as long as they are of similar age and locking block type)

-MIke

varoadking
01-19-09, 20:33
One and only one? Glock for me...

ToddG
01-20-09, 00:26
Since you asked for other families rather than people's advice on which family (a little hint to previous posters) ...

IrishDevil already pointed out H&K with the P2000 and P2000SK. You've also got the P30 and P30L should you want a larger gun later on.

While their QC isn't what it used to be, the SIG P226, P229, and P239 are probably still worth looking at. If they really fit you best, just accept that you may hit a stumbling block during initial test firing that requires a trip back to SIG in NH to get working.

I'm not a big fan personally, but enough people like their Kahrs that you could certainly look there. Sizes range from "almost large" to pretty small. Function is consistent.

The Springfield XD is another, but personally I'm not willing to use one. I was surprised when talking to friends at SHOT that many of them had come around to realizing that the grip safety was just too unforgiving, especially when performing one handed reloads. A grip safety that locks the slide itself (unlike how a 1911 works) is just dumb.

citizensoldier16
01-20-09, 01:32
Another Kudo for Glocks. One point not mentioned yet is the magazine compatibility between models of the same caliber. Ie, you can use a G17 magazine in a G19 and so on. This might be helpful if the larger pistol goes OOS...there's plenty of ammo for the smaller one. Of course, it's not backwards compatible. Can't use a G19 mag in a G17.

Solution? Get G18 mags for every gun :cool:

ToddG
01-20-09, 01:43
Another Kudo for Glocks. One point not mentioned yet is the magazine compatibility between models of the same caliber

True of the M&P9 (full size and compact), HK P2000 (full size and K), SIG (P226 and P228/P229; 9mm only) ... etc.

skyugo
01-20-09, 02:00
Another Kudo for Glocks. One point not mentioned yet is the magazine compatibility between models of the same caliber. Ie, you can use a G17 magazine in a G19 and so on. This might be helpful if the larger pistol goes OOS...there's plenty of ammo for the smaller one. Of course, it's not backwards compatible. Can't use a G19 mag in a G17.

Solution? Get G18 mags for every gun :cool:

:D

i gotta trade off some of my G26 mags for G19's... :o guy gave me 13 mags with a G26 on trade. i guess it's a lifetime supply. :confused:

Gentoo
01-20-09, 02:16
Thanks for the replies! I really couldn't think of any of the other families.

I like the way SIGs look, but I've heard about too many QC issues with them to feel comfortable with one. If they sold for half the price they do, I might change my mind.

XDs are way out of line in terms of price to what you get. I don't like the grip safety either. Plus they have never selected in any serious PD/.mil test kinda tells you something. So those are out for me.

I really don't know enough about Kahr to have an opinion, other than they are very expensive.

H&K seems like a possible contender. I would have to hold and shoot one though.

Obviously the Glock and M&P are very high on my list.

I like the Glocks because I already have one, so I'm kinda used to it, and they are durable and tough as nails. I like the M&P because it seems very well made and has very nice ergos. I've not put them side by side, how does a G19 compare to a M&P9?

Jack_Stroker
01-20-09, 10:06
I don't understand just exactly how Kahr got their reputation or what makes them feel their weapons are worth the price premium. I can't see them as being any better than a similar style Glock which costs much less.

Greyman09
01-20-09, 12:59
I carry a Glock 19 and the wife carries a Glock 26. Works out very well.