PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a target revolver...

jakeb
01-19-09, 09:45
Hey All,

I'm looking to purchase a revolver...this would be my first one.

I have over 2000 .38 Special bullets to reload with that I inherited so my thought would be to get a .357 Magnum and shoot the .38SPL for target practice.

I'm looking for 4" barrel at the least.

Thanks,

Jake

Jack_Stroker
01-19-09, 09:50
If you can find one, the Smith & Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnum is one of the best out there. They aren't made anymore I don't think but I do see them fairly frequently in gun shops. I've got one and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. They are typically under $500 from what I've seen and they don't have Smith & Wesson's locking feature either. Beyond that it meets all of your requirements that you've stated thus far.

John_Wayne777
01-19-09, 12:22
Hey All,

I'm looking to purchase a revolver...this would be my first one.

I have over 2000 .38 Special bullets to reload with that I inherited so my thought would be to get a .357 Magnum and shoot the .38SPL for target practice.

I'm looking for 4" barrel at the least.

Thanks,

Jake

There are a ton of good options in the used gun market.

S&W's N frame .357 magnum revolvers are built like tanks and can be found for 600 and under in excellent shape. The model 27 is the cadillac of the S&W line but they tend to run more than 600. The model 28 is an economical version of the same revolver that was nicknamed the "Highway Patrolman" because of the widespread use of the revolver by police departments back in the day.

The L frame revolvers are also a good option. The 4" 586 is my favorite S&W revolver. The 686 is also a good revolver, but I prefer my wheel-guns blued. S&W also made a fixed sight version of the L frames in blued and stainless, the 581 and 681.

Then you have the K frame revolvers which exist in practically any configuration you could possibly want. The model 19 is the classic .357 revolver that saw widespread use in police holsters across the nation. They can be had in barrel lengths from 2.5" all the way up to 10" (the 10 inchers are pretty rare), with square butts or round butts, etc. You can sometimes find a bargain on K frame Smiths. I bought a model 19 a few years ago from Gunbroker for 140 bucks...and it was in excellent condition. Prices have gone up somewhat but you can still find deals if you're willing to shop.