PDA

View Full Version : A question about working on our rifles (Is this safe)

kwelz
01-19-09, 11:58
I need to do some work on one of my upper recievers. Normally I have used my local Gun shops Gunsmith room. They have never complained about this but I really feel like I am being a bit of a pest so I want to get my own equipment. I already have the tool I need, wrenches, etc. What I don't have is any way to secure the reciever.

I have always used the Clamshell style upper reciver block when working on my ARs before. However the only thing they have in stock right now is a Lower reciever block that locks into the magwell.

So what I am wondering is this. Is it safe to use the lower reciever block and leave the upper mounted on it to work on the upper?
Would the torque of removing and replacing a barrel be to much for the takedown pins or is this safe?

JBnTX
01-19-09, 13:12
So what I am wondering is this. Is it safe to use the lower reciever block and leave the upper mounted on it to work on the upper?
Would the torque of removing and replacing a barrel be to much for the takedown pins or is this safe?

You will damage your rifle doing it like that.
That's a lot of stress to put on the takedown pins?

I wouldn't even think of trying to remove/install the barrel
without the upper receiver being properly supported in the
correct type support block.

rykyard
01-19-09, 14:20
JB,

I think the OP is referring to the type of block that is secured via the takedown pins (like the DPMS one) vs a clam-shell block.

As far as I know both types of blocks are fine for barrel removal/installation.

spamsammich
01-19-09, 14:33
...block that locks into the magwell...

Unless hooked on phonics has failed me, that's not what I got out of the first post. I would not use the lower receiver vise block for what you intend to do for the reasons already stated.

JBnTX
01-19-09, 14:36
JB,

I think the OP is referring to the type of block that is secured via the takedown pins (like the DPMS one) vs a clam-shell block.

As far as I know both types of blocks are fine for barrel removal/installation.

Whatever. Maybe I need to learn to read.
This is what he posted?

"What I don't have is any way to secure the reciever."

"I have always used the Clamshell style upper reciver block when working on my ARs before.
However the only thing they have in stock right now is a Lower reciever block that locks into the magwell."

"Is it safe to use the lower reciever block and leave the upper mounted on it to work on the upper?.....

kwelz
01-19-09, 15:15
I am sorry my original post didn't' make a lot of sense I know. I was working on a presentation for a client while writing it.

I have always used the Gun Shops Tools before. I don't want to do this anymore. They don't have a block of any type for the upper in stock. I wanted to know if the takdown pins would be strong enough to hold the upper to the lower while securing the rifle with a Magwell block. I was wanting to do a Barrel swap.

Shihan
01-19-09, 15:23
Just get a DPMS Flipper

JBnTX
01-19-09, 15:31
.... I wanted to know if the takdown pins would be strong enough to hold the upper to the lower while securing the rifle with a Magwell block. I was wanting to do a Barrel swap.

I still say no. It may damage your rifle.
Always use the correct tools for best results.

There are plenty of internet places that sell upper receiver blocks.
While not cheap and are good insurance against damaging your rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22385&title=AR-15/M16%20UPPER%20RECEIVER%20ACTION%20BLOCK

rykyard
01-19-09, 15:51
Whatever. Maybe I need to learn to read.
This is what he posted?

"What I don't have is any way to secure the reciever."

"I have always used the Clamshell style upper reciver block when working on my ARs before.
However the only thing they have in stock right now is a Lower reciever block that locks into the magwell."

"Is it safe to use the lower reciever block and leave the upper mounted on it to work on the upper?.....

No, it was my reading skills that failed, I thought he was referring to an alternate upper block type.

Take the advice kwelz. upper receiver block for upper receiver.

kwelz
01-19-09, 15:59
Thanks guys. THis is why you ask questions before you do stuff.