PDA

View Full Version : DD Omega question....

JackOSU
01-19-09, 23:44
I recently purchased and installed the 7.0 on my Colt 6920.

The rail was very easy to put in after I got the standard handgards off, which were a little stiff in removing.

My question is mainly about the sturdiness of the rail. I have noticed some movement if I grab the upper and give the rail a slight twist. I have not tried with much force for I do not want to do any damage internally.

When installing I followed the directions correctly to my knowledge. I know this is a ff design and wasn't sure if some play was normal or not. I used the small wrench to tighten the 4 screws to the bll nut and made sure not to over tighten like the directions stated. I guess I was hoping to get some input on the amount of movement I could expect from the rail and what others have experienced.

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

spamsammich
01-19-09, 23:54
No play is acceptable, they lock up tight. Either your barrel nut is loose or you don't have enough torque in the set screws. They are cup tipped so they really need some torque to get the proper bite into the barrel nut.

Robb Jensen
01-19-09, 23:57
Did you contact Daniel Defense?

Rule No. 4

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

JackOSU
01-20-09, 08:22
Did you contact Daniel Defense?

Rule No. 4

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

I have not. I will contact the person I purchased this from and then DD if needed.

Pardon me for breaking rule #4. I thought one of the purposes of the forum was to ask questions to those that were in the know. I was surely not bashing their product at all. I do feel that there may be some operator error on my part thus why I aked the question.

kukang
01-20-09, 20:15
I have two rifles with DD Omega's. The rails are rock solid as it should be. No play at all.;)

bkb0000
01-22-09, 03:34
what point is the play coming from? in other words- what DOESNT wobble when you wobble it?

josey88
01-22-09, 09:27
Mine has the Omega 7 too, and it was a breeze to install . It is also rock solid, no movement at all. Beautiful handguard , I most say... I am very pleased with it. You know, most likely you did not installed it correctly on the back of the ring... it most be that. Check that out again ... I remmember having to wiggle it a little to make sure it was sitting correctly !!!

RSS1911
01-22-09, 09:31
I recently installed an Omega 9.0 on my BCM middy, and it too is absolutely solid as a rock.

JackOSU
01-22-09, 21:27
what point is the play coming from? in other words- what DOESNT wobble when you wobble it?

I think the wobble might be the bbl nut. I have contacted the person who sold it to me, but they have yet to respond to my pictures that I took. When I have the rail completely off there seems to still be the same wiggle. It's like the wobble is b/w the upper and the delta ring.

I also had a question on where the contact points of the smaller screws. The way I had it installed and then reinstalled several times has the contact points on the so called "teeth" that stick out on what I assume is the bbl nut. I have never completely stripped one down so my knowledge here is lacking and thus why I feel I have maybe done something wrong.

The rail seems very solid and I have tightened down all 8 screws pretty tight to make sure it was secure. I highly doubt it's the rail itself. When I have installed 4 times to make sure I didnt' miss anything I made sure the top of the rail seats all the way back to the delta ring and everything lines up great with no gap b/w the rail and the upper.

If anyone has any other advice I'm open. Thanks again for the replies and help!