PDA

View Full Version : A Glorious Day!!!!!!

HwyKnight
01-20-09, 04:00
All politics aside, this is a great day to be very proud to be an American. Why? Because, it shows that we have at least been able to get past the childish differences, like race, or a goofy name, and vote based on things more important. While I did not vote for Obama, (I'm a 5%er), his accomplishment of being the first minority president can not be overlooked. From that perspective it is indeed a glorious day, and we all, no matter who we voted for, should be very, very, proud!!! :)

bkb0000
01-20-09, 04:35
all of your base are belong to obama, dude.

:mad:

Gentoo
01-20-09, 04:49
My con law professor was the dean at my school during the Bush/Gore ballot fiasco. At the time of the election (and in the weeks following) he was in China for some conference type thing.

While he was there, he and the other American deans were constantly pestered as to what side they were on, and the Chinese couldn't seem to understand why there wasn't rioting and bloodshed in the streets to solve the matter. When he explained that wasn't how we did things in America, they didn't quite get it.

Anyways, while Obama isn't my first pick for the Presidency (and I have my own feelings about how he got there), I wish him the best of luck and hope for his success. Because his failure would mean that America fails too in some way, and I am a better countryman than to put my personal desires above that of my nation.

czydj
01-20-09, 06:16
his accomplishment of being the first minority president can not be overlooked.

Why can't we get past first minority this, first minority that? This irrational fixation often puts someone where they shouldn't be just because they ARE a minority, not because they are the best tool for the job...

Kaos
01-20-09, 06:18
Dunno if you guys noticed or not...but "minorities" are the majority now. I read an interesting article (I think it was in Harpers) stating that the group that should be most worried about minority rights in the next 3-5 years are white males as society is creating groups for everyone but them.

El Mac
01-20-09, 07:56
I'm thrilled...

Spinone
01-20-09, 09:27
Minority? Lest we forget, BHO is also half white. :cool:

30 cal slut
01-20-09, 09:28
da, tovarisch.

RTA
01-20-09, 09:31
All politics aside, this is a great day to be very proud to be an American. Why? Because, it shows that we have at least been able to get past the childish differences, like race, or a goofy name, and vote based on things more important. While I did not vote for Obama, (I'm a 5%er), his accomplishment of being the first minority president can not be overlooked. From that perspective it is indeed a glorious day, and we all, no matter who we voted for, should be very, very, proud!!! :)

If you lick his hand a little and show your belly he might even give you a scratch.

What is the significance of a 'minority' being elected to lead? What are the actual tangible benefits? Or does it just feel good?

How close is Africa et al to electing a 'minority' to lead them? Or is it only important that us backwards Americans do so?

andre3k
01-20-09, 09:38
Dunno if you guys noticed or not...but "minorities" are the majority now. I read an interesting article (I think it was in Harpers) stating that the group that should be most worried about minority rights in the next 3-5 years are white males as society is creating groups for everyone but them.

Negative.
http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2000/dp1/2kh00.pdf

Looking at the racial breakdown of US congress and the Supreme court, I don't think white males have much to worry about for a while.

dbrowne1
01-20-09, 09:41
All politics aside, this is a great day to be very proud to be an American. Why? Because, it shows that we have at least been able to get past the childish differences, like race, or a goofy name, and vote based on things more important.

No, it shows just the opposite. The enormous media circle-jerk regarding his candidacy (because he is a highly educated and articulate minority) and now his inauguration specifically BECAUSE he is a minority, all of the coverage and disproportionate media attention and interviews with visible minorities, etc. show that race is still very much an issue. Most people are celebrating the fact that we have our first black president, not the fact that we have one who will do a great job. He is full of "hope" and other rhetoric but I remain skeptical of his abilities to guide the nation without destroying its finances and our freedoms.

There are also a huge number of people out there who voted for him specifically and only because he IS a minority and NOT because of "things more important." Some of these people are borderline delusional in their beliefs about Obama and his ability to do everything from paying their mortgages to getting their kids into Harvard. I have been utterly astonished by many of the things I have seen and heard during this election cycle and leading up to today.

Japle
01-20-09, 09:49
I know the younger folks here (under 40) don’t remember what it used to be like in this country. I was a kid in Nashville in the late ‘40s – early ‘50s. Nobody even considered the idea that blacks would ever be more than they were; poor, uneducated and legally separated from whites. Separate restrooms, separate drinking fountains, separate neighborhoods, separate schools and no chance to change anything. Everyone knows the South was that way, but don’t remember that Los Angeles was as segregated as Selma.

Personally, I find it amazing that things changed as quickly as they did. Open racism was common even in the ‘60s. Now, it’s rare. It’s still there, of course. I just saw a poll that said 74% of blacks had experienced racism. Fifty years ago, that would have been 100% and no one would have expected anything else. So we make progress.

I certainly didn’t vote for Obama. Damn near his entire political philosophy is the opposite of mine. Still, his election is a triumph. We’ll survive his administration. We survived Johnson and Carter and Clinton.
We’re strong enough to pull through.

Rider79
01-20-09, 09:57
I'm all for a black man being President, just not this black man. The President can be any color he wants to be, as long as its not Red.

AirmanAtwood
01-20-09, 10:06
In all honesty, I do believe that the "minorities" in the US voted for BHO for the fact that he was "one of them". And the rest of them voted for him for his false promises of a better life for the poor and all that bullshit. Its sad when people actually believe that they'll never have to pay for taxes ever again and shit. And he'll let them not pay taxes..he'll just give them money that he STOLE from the wealthy. The people who earned their money should not be responsible for those people. Not to mention our gun rights are in extremem danger with the brady bunch, holder, pelosi, BHO, and the rest of those gun grabbing retards. Today is the day I think America's soul dies a little. Our founding fathers would be ashamed with the citizens that voted for him.

Safetyhit
01-20-09, 10:20
I have little interest in watching this ultra-liberal claim the highest office in our country. Must be missing what is so damn exciting.

:rolleyes:

Palmguy
01-20-09, 10:33

Vote based on things more important.

If only that were the case.

Race was a huge issue in this election, in that Obama received votes based on his race. The fact that you have to specify that you are a "5%er" certainly makes that clear, as far as the other 95% goes.

He also won with empty rhetoric, platitudes, a well-oiled marketing/PR machine, near-elevation to deity/worship, class envy/warfare, and promises of handouts.

I personally don't give a damn what color the president is, and don't see it as an accomplishment that the wrong person was elected to the office.

I do wish that people voted on "things more important", but they didn't.

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 10:43
He is white (FYI).

C4

Rider79
01-20-09, 10:49
:rolleyes: *waits for Katar to close this thread...*

Jay Cunningham
01-20-09, 10:52
I'm sure it won't be long.

Bitch about it all you want, he'll be POTUS for at least the next four years. It is what it is.

Rider79
01-20-09, 10:57

Bitch about it all you want, he'll be POTUS for at least the next four years. It is what it is.

You're right. I've got my guns, I've got my mags, I've got my ammo, so whatever they do won't make me happy, but I can still live through it. We can stress and worry over bans and everything else, but there's not much that crying about it is going to do to make it any better. All we can do is keep the pressure on our elected reps.

andre3k
01-20-09, 11:10
Wow, I think they should have worked on reciting that oath a little bit more.

El Mac
01-20-09, 11:12
I'm all for a black man being President, just not this black man. The President can be any color he wants to be, as long as its not Red.

Beautfully put!!!! My hat is off to you sir! That is the quote of the day.

Safetyhit
01-20-09, 11:12
Wow, I think they should have worked on reciting that oath a little bit more.

Who's reciting what now...?

Wiley
01-20-09, 11:14
Yes A Glorious Day!!!!!! for the enemies of the US, our freedoms and our constitution.

I hope obama fails at everything he tries to do, because everything he tries to do will be trouble for this country.

Could I be wrong, of course but most likely I'm not.

Wiley

30 cal slut
01-20-09, 11:16
Yes A Glorious Day!!!!!! for the enemies of the US, our freedoms and our constitution.

Barackolypse Now.

hawk
01-20-09, 11:21

I hope obama fails at everything he tries to do, because everything he tries to do will be trouble for this country.

Wiley

I feel the same way. I hope he doesn't succeed in passing his policies because I feel they will be bad for this country in its already fragile state.

natdm
01-20-09, 11:35
Why can't we get past first minority this, first minority that? This irrational fixation often puts someone where they shouldn't be just because they ARE a minority, not because they are the best tool for the job...

Bingo. My ex girlfriend got a scholarship because she claimed to be hispanic and was bilingual - she had red hair and freckles. Carpets matched the drapes. Hispanic my ass.

People wanted change and a new black president meant change. He doesn't BELONG there, people just wish he did.

HwyKnight
01-20-09, 12:09
I know the younger folks here (under 40) don’t remember what it used to be like in this country. I was a kid in Nashville in the late ‘40s – early ‘50s. Nobody even considered the idea that blacks would ever be more than they were; poor, uneducated and legally separated from whites. Separate restrooms, separate drinking fountains, separate neighborhoods, separate schools and no chance to change anything. Everyone knows the South was that way, but don’t remember that Los Angeles was as segregated as Selma.

Personally, I find it amazing that things changed as quickly as they did. Open racism was common even in the ‘60s. Now, it’s rare. It’s still there, of course. I just saw a poll that said 74% of blacks had experienced racism. Fifty years ago, that would have been 100% and no one would have expected anything else. So we make progress.

I certainly didn’t vote for Obama. Damn near his entire political philosophy is the opposite of mine. Still, his election is a triumph. We’ll survive his administration. We survived Johnson and Carter and Clinton.
We’re strong enough to pull through.

Thanks Japle, I'm glad to see that at least a couple of you get the point of this post!!:)

QuickStrike
01-20-09, 12:13
Glorious? You switching sides already? :confused:

I don't think much of most people who voted for him. IMHO, a champion of sheep, free loaders and racists have won, WHOOHOOO! :rolleyes:

Dr.Doom
01-20-09, 12:19

"Dink and flicka"

Sorry, when you said "It is what it is," it jsut reminded me of "the office" for some reason. Where Darell teaches Michael some new phrases.

rubberneck
01-20-09, 12:24
Barack Obama is now my President. I didn't vote for him nor will I ever. Where I agree with him he has my support and where we disagree I will work tirelessly to oppose him. What I will not do, no matter how much I disagree with him, is to show the office of the President the total lack of respect that was shown to his predecessor from day one. As Patriots we should be better than them even though we find what they stand for repugnant.

Finally, I am proud to live in a country where power is ceded willingly and peacefully, not at gun point. I am sure that is something all reasonable people can agree upon.

JBnTX
01-20-09, 12:27
A great man once said,

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation
where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

It's a sad shame that the same people who profess to follow him, just elected
a president based on the color of his skin and not the content of his character.

Gutshot John
01-20-09, 12:43
Barack Obama is now my President. I didn't vote for him nor will I ever. Where I agree with him he has my support and where we disagree I will work tirelessly to oppose him. What I will not do, no matter how much I disagree with him, is to show the office of the President the total lack of respect that was shown to his predecessor from day one. As Patriots we should be better than them even though we find what they stand for repugnant.

Finally, I am proud to live in a country where power is ceded willingly and peacefully, not at gun point. I am sure that is something all reasonable people can agree upon.

Well said, especially the last point.

dbrowne1
01-20-09, 12:58

I'm not suggesting we are at or near any kind of breaking point with the election of Obama, but at what point do we stop our blind allegiance to the offices of our government and question, fundamentally, what the government has been doing and whether it is even functioning the way it is supposed to? Is showing abstract loyalty to the office more important than how the government, on a fundamental level, functions, spends our resources, and controls our lives? I don't think so. There is a certain point where blind loyalty to the office must give way to fundamental concerns of freedom and government oppression.

It has always struck me as odd that many people on gun-related boards trumpet the importance of the Second Amendment and other checks on government power and then go on to profess their undying loyalty to the leadership of the country, even if those who seek to fundamentally alter the country in terrible ways are in power.

The fact that he was elected and took power peacefully does not mean he is immune from abuses. History is full of peacefully elected leaders who went on to do terrible things, and a true patriot questions and criticizes those leaders at every turn.

Armadillo
01-20-09, 12:58
On his website he says that he supports the AWB. That is on his agenda. If you think today is a wonderful day you best find yourself another hobby. :confused:

El Mac
01-20-09, 12:59
Thanks Japle, I'm glad to see that at least a couple of you get the point of this post!!:)

Getting it is one thing, agreeing with it is something else entirely.

Let him/them have their day in the sun. But tomorrow, reality sets in...

markm
01-20-09, 13:03
Unfortunately the novelty of seeing a black (whatever the **** he is) in the whitehouse was a large part of why many an imbecile voted for this POS.

People are retards. The sad part is, those of us who have the brains to look beyond the stupid hype and catch phrases have to go down with the ship along with the morons.

C4IGrant
01-20-09, 13:11
I am confused. When someone has a white mother and a black father, why are they always classified as "black?" :confused:

We got a WHITE president which is why a lot of the "pure black voters" do NOT think of him as a "black" man.

C4

RTA
01-20-09, 13:13
A great man once said,

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation
where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

It's a sad shame that the same people who profess to follow him, just elected
a president based on the color of his skin and not the content of his character.

Yeah, here's my favorite quote by this 'great man.' The only problem is, I already know that the men he's impugning are 'great men.' You may know them, we call them "Vietnam Veterans." I call one of them 'Dad.'

So which side do you choose? I'm firmly on the side of the Veterans.

Enjoy this quote.

"The only change came from America as we increased our troop commitments in support of governments which were singularly corrupt, inept and without popular support. All the while the people read our leaflets and received regular promises of peace and democracy -- and land reform. Now they languish under our bombs and consider us -- not their fellow Vietnamese --the real enemy. They move sadly and apathetically as we herd them off the land of their fathers into concentration camps where minimal social needs are rarely met. They know they must move or be destroyed by our bombs. So they go -- primarily women and children and the aged.

They watch as we poison their water, as we kill a million acres of their crops. They must weep as the bulldozers roar through their areas preparing to destroy the precious trees. They wander into the hospitals, with at least twenty casualties from American firepower for one "Vietcong"-inflicted injury. So far we may have killed a million of them -- mostly children. They wander into the towns and see thousands of the children, homeless, without clothes, running in packs on the streets like animals. They see the children, degraded by our soldiers as they beg for food. They see the children selling their sisters to our soldiers, soliciting for their mothers.

What do the peasants think as we ally ourselves with the landlords and as we refuse to put any action into our many words concerning land reform? What do they think as we test our latest weapons on them, just as the Germans tested out new medicine and new tortures in the concentration camps of Europe? Where are the roots of the independent Vietnam we claim to be building? Is it among these voiceless ones?

We have destroyed their two most cherished institutions: the family and the village. We have destroyed their land and their crops. We have cooperated in the crushing of the nation's only non-Communist revolutionary political force -- the unified Buddhist church. We have supported the enemies of the peasants of Saigon. We have corrupted their women and children and killed their men. What liberators?"

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/058.html

Did you know my Dad helped kill a million Vietnamese, "mostly children," according to MLK? Did you know my Dad and his kind were "testing weapons, just like the Germans did on Jews?" So says the 'great man,' MLK. Funny how this 'great man' has not a word of condemnation for the Communists. Hey, 120 million dead commie victims can't be wrong, right? Extra bonus points if you can pick out all the commie buzzwords he used. I'll start you off...'land reform.'

HwyKnight
01-20-09, 13:35
I am confused. When someone has a white mother and a black father, why are they always classified as "black?" :confused:

We got a WHITE president which is why a lot of the "pure black voters" do NOT think of him as a "black" man.

C4

I am mixed. As is my son, yet, to some, we will always be 'different', or 'less than'. Rather than being classified as 'black', insert the word 'different', and you'll get it.

Our country has made great progress along the lines that once divided us. Even if 100% of all minorities voted for Obama, he would not be there without the support of the white voters, minorities don't carry that much weight. Obama's presence in White House is proof of this progress, and it is that progress for which we should be proud.

The first line in my original post is 'All politics aside'. I don't agree with his politics, that's why I didn't vote for him.

RTA
01-20-09, 13:50
I am mixed. As is my son, yet, to some, we will always be 'different', or 'less than'. Rather than being classified as 'black', insert the word 'different', and you'll get it.

Our country has made great progress along the lines that once divided us. Even if 100% of all minorities voted for Obama, he would not be there without the support of the white voters, minorities don't carry that much weight. Obama's presence in White House is proof of this progress, and it is that progress for which we should be proud.

The first line in my original post is 'All politics aside'. I don't agree with his politics, that's why I didn't vote for him.

Its great that we're making progress.

So electing a 'black' man shows progress....When Mandela took over, was that progressive or regressive? Can you guarantee the same type of success for us?

I'm just curious exactly why having someone of a certain color(s) defines 'progress.' If we're all the same, how could it possibly matter? Is it because Africa/Haiti/Jamaica/et al are so successful, and of course we will be better off if we get a little of what they've been enjoying for oh, all of time?

Seriously, why is it 'progress,' is it based on skin color alone? I guess the flip side is that Africa/Asia/Hispania have shown ZERO progress, since they keep stupidly electing their own (color)people to lead them. Would you make that argument? I mean, it would be 'progressive' of them to elect someone of another color, regardless of his/her politics, right? Would a White man leading Somalia be progressive or regressive? Would he be hailed as an example of how 'progressive' Somalians are? I'll hold my breath waiting for all of you to practice what you preach. Look to your own bed before commenting on the condition of mine.

Wiley
01-20-09, 13:56

What progress?

A man that hates this country and everything it stands for was voted in by racist, morons, and guilty white people.

So I sould be proud that my country is full of people thet can't think for themselves?

markm
01-20-09, 13:57

C4

I think of him as a Muslim, and a corrupt IL politician.

Shit. He even goofed up and said "my Muslim faith" with Stephanopolis.

ZDL
01-20-09, 14:03

C4

Let me clear it up for you. He was white while running for president. When he won, he became black.

Remember those arguments from all the pundits and public in outrage over him being referred to as black prior to the election? Now, what's all the headlines screaming?

I've been ingrained with that "don't have to respect the man but you should respect the office" mantra all my life like many others here. However, times are different. Things have CHANGED. The office, in my personal opinion, bears no respect at all in this current climate. The path the media, public, candidates, and political parties took during this last election stripped all honor and respect due. Politics are never pretty but the line between gamesmanship and bad form was crossed this go round. And to no shame.

The man is dangerous. If you refuse to see that in a devious light then so be it, but do NOT be mistaken that his insufferable ignorance concerning the job he just took, is frightening and damnable.

I have no doubt things are about to "change".

Those who slough off such warnings as paranoia, racism, hate, or ignorant will not only be proven wrong (imo) but share in the blame.

Like it was said previously. Support the things you agree with him on and fight, vehemently if need be, the things you oppose. However, the "Office of President" how I know it... How history knows it... Is not the same and therefor has lost my respect.

Now, a truly glorious day will be when grant gets uppers and BCG back in stock!!!

Jay Cunningham
01-20-09, 14:09
This thread ain't gonna get any better and most likely will get worse.