PDA

View Full Version : Movin' Over

DrJSW
01-20-09, 08:44
For those of you who know me from my posts on Tactical Forums, be advised I have requested my login ID and personal info be deleted from the Tactical Forums database and Mad Dog has complied. I will no longer post or read at TF, effective immediately.

DocGKR invited me to join y'all here at M4, and after lurking for a day or so, I've taken the plunge. There are a lot of familiar handles here. I see Doc has put up several of his great stickies that had also been posted elsewhere. There appears to be a good bit of intelligent discussion here. All of which are good reasons for me to participate.

DrJSW

DocGKR
01-20-09, 12:02
Welcome Sir!

For those of you who don't know him, Dr. Williams is an experienced emergency room physician who has a wealth of wound ballistic knowledge. His Tactical Anatomy courses are outstanding: http://www.tacticalanatomy.com

VA_Dinger
01-20-09, 12:06
DrJSW, welcome aboard.

We are glad to have another expert of your caliber posting on M4c.

LOKNLOD
01-20-09, 12:09
Welcome aboard, DrJSW.

With so many myths and wive's tales regarding terminal ballistics and incapacitation it's good to have another expert in the field around.

Failure2Stop
01-20-09, 13:13
Glad to see someone with your credibility and credentials on the forum!
Welcome- looking forward to your psts.

SHIVAN
01-20-09, 13:20
Excellent addition to the site, glad to see IP's bringing on knowledgeable individuals to join us.

:D:D:D

Wayne Dobbs
01-20-09, 13:20
Doctor,

It's great to see you here! Your shared knowledge will be very valuable to those of us on our respective "knowledge journeys" at this site.

Wayne Dobbs

SeriousStudent
01-20-09, 19:55
Indeed. I will be looking forward to reading your posts.

DeltaKilo
01-20-09, 22:27
Welcome!

I, too, am a recent transplant and I look forward to the new diggs.

Soybomb
01-20-09, 22:43
DocGKR gave me the heads up as well (thanks!)

If someone could fill me in on what happened, via PM if appropriate, I'd appreciate it.

DeltaKilo
01-20-09, 22:49
DocGKR gave me the heads up as well (thanks!)

If someone could fill me in on what happened, via PM if appropriate, I'd appreciate it.

I, Too, would like to know.

DrJSW
01-20-09, 23:05
Gentlemen and (if appropriate), Ladies...

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I make no claims to expertise in general. DocGKR has vastly more of that than I could ever hope to achieve, at least in the bench-testing of ammo and correlation of same to OIS data in large police shootings databases. I have significant bench research experience, but in biochemistry, which does not exactly translate to terminal ballistics testing, except insofar that I have done research science for a living, which is more than many internet "experts" can truly say.

I am a fairly knowledgeable firearms amateur. I have done a fair bit of competitive shooting, and have won a few ribbons & trophies here and there. More important, to my mind, is I've been a lifelong hunter. Which is to say, I appreciate the value of a clean kill. And yes, I'm not afraid to use the "K-word".

My alleged expertise is more in the realm of teaching people how to place their bullets so as to terminate a gunfight rapidly with positive benefit to the good guy and the family he hopes to go home to at the end of his shift. I'm a blood-and-guts guy by day, which is a lot less glamorous than it sounds, and a lot less precise than the kind of surgery DocGKR does every day at work, and a damn sight less precise than his research.

I'm just here to contribute what I can.

Oh, and if you haven't already gleaned this, I have a severe intolerance of bullshit.

I look forward to a long and mutually enjoyable relationship with everyone here.

Doc

p.s. if anyone wants details on dirt, don't bother to PM me. I'm done with that dirt. Gary, look to your PM's, I 'll have a favor to ask in the next little bit, if it's not too much trouble.

ST911
01-20-09, 23:31
Welcome, Doc.

ballistics
01-21-09, 00:00
Hi gentlemen, after talking with DocGKR today I have decided to also "move over".
I hope to contribute and read as much as possible.
Thank you for having me.

Eric Kozowski
01-21-09, 00:12
I'm here too because of DocGKR and the BS over at TF.

Looking forward to some good discussions.

beaker1013
01-21-09, 00:58
Welcome Doc and everyone else who joined. Enjoy! There is alot of great knowledge here!

CLHC
01-21-09, 01:27
Welcome aboard the M4C!

KUTF
01-21-09, 03:52
DrJSW,

Welcome. Glad to see you'll still be sharing your knowledge.

rly45acp
01-21-09, 11:37
"I'm here too because of DocGKR and the BS over at TF."

+1

Glad to see you Dr.JSW

sff70
01-21-09, 12:33
Welcome aboard!

Zhukov
01-21-09, 13:23
Excellent addition to the site, glad to see IP's bringing on knowledgeable individuals to join us.

:D:D:D

I moved over as well. And who the heck let this guy be a moderator over here? ;)

SHIVAN
01-21-09, 14:10
I moved over as well.

Excellent news!!!!

And who the heck let this guy be a moderator over here? ;)

They needed the "bad cop", apparently I fit the role. :D

rob_s
01-21-09, 15:07
Glad to see all of you here. Doubly so since I think I know why. Speaks very highly of all of you.

R Moran
01-21-09, 18:02
Glad to see all of you here. Doubly so since I think I know why. Speaks very highly of all of you.

Agreed, I followed that situation, and was only reminded of why I quit spending any significant time there.

Bob

Beat Trash
01-21-09, 18:32
DrJSW,

Welcome.

I have read your posts on an ongoing thread on this web site reference short barrels and 147gr 9mm loads.

Expertise and common sense are a great combination. Looking forward to your thoughts in up coming threads.

What ever you reasons for leaving Tactical Forums might be, they are yours, and yours alone. It speaks volumes about your character that you come hear without ranting or mud slinging about the other forum, and those involved with it.

Once again, welcome.

Beat Trash

DRT
01-21-09, 19:46
Im new here also and a transplant from TF. Im a reserve LEO and Im here to learn from experts like DOCGKR or others with an informed opinion. I definitely appreciate the opportunity so thanks in advance.

RogerinTPA
01-21-09, 20:18
Welcome guys. I look forward to reading your future informative posts.

Matt Edwards
01-21-09, 22:01
Though not new here, I have joined DrJSW on the pilgramige from "over there". It is kind of a shame in a way. My first post anywhere was on that forum. There are still some great guys there. Of course there are other places I can hit them up.:D

Welcome DrJSW!

Now that we have two Docs over here...It hurts when I do this...

DrJSW
01-22-09, 00:32
Gentlemen and ladies...

I am overwhelmed by the warm reception you've given me. Thank you.

Again, I've held the firm opinion for many years that the more I have come to know, the more I realize I have so much yet to learn. One of my personal heroes, Albert Einstein, wrote something along those lines. I wish I could quote it directly. But I'm getting old and stupid, and can't swashbuckle as I used to, personal-quotes-wise...

The study of terminal ballistic effects is of enormous importance to the guys and gals who wear the badge and wear black, blue, brown& tan, but bleed red when things go wrong. No less is the need for legally armed non-LEO citizens to know where and how to place their bullets when exigent circumstances arise, as is their right under the Constitution and the Common Law upon which our courts are based.

Enough pontification.

I am very tired. The last three months of my life have been the most harrowing I have ever experienced, and my abrupt transplantation to this forum seems to me to be consistent with the other uprootings I've had to fight through.

G.K. Chesterton wrote this: "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."

I believe in God, and I believe Chesterton got it right. I am not here without a purpose. Gentlemen and ladies, I expect we are setting out on an Interesting Journey. Let's see what happens, shall we?

DocGKR
01-22-09, 01:18
Hear hear!

DrJSW
01-22-09, 01:23
DocGKR... I do believe we're on the verge of having some good fun.

RyanB
01-22-09, 01:33
Good to have you sir.

C4IGrant
01-22-09, 08:34
Welcome Gentlemen and enjoy the forum!

C4

csheehy
01-22-09, 10:32
Welcome Dr. Williams. Good to "see" you here along w/DocGKR.

Chris Sheehy

urbankaos04
01-22-09, 13:43
Good to see you gentlemen here.

worldskipper
01-22-09, 17:09
Movin' on over too. The middle school drama was just too much.

ballistics
01-22-09, 17:17
Odd Job from TF has announced that he was leaving....did he make it this way?

worldskipper
01-22-09, 17:18
Might take a while, I'm sure the Admins have better things to do than approve memberships of TF refugees.

Jim from Houston
01-23-09, 17:27
Recently set myself up with an account on here as well - also pointed this direction by DocGKR...

Just from looking around, there are lots of extremely knowledgable folks in these parts...should be very informative...looking forward to learning from you all...

Marcus L.
01-24-09, 09:15
Another move over. I pretty much just cruised the terminal effects and firearms discussion forums, so I didn't encounter much of what ever drama infected TF for ill. I greatly appreciate Dr. Robert's and Dr. William's work, insight, and advice thus one of the primary reasons why I am here. I'd hate to lose out on that.

Hopefully I can offer something to these forums as well. I'm a COP of moderate means with a family, but I try to gain what experience I can with the tools of the trade to better improve the knowledge of the profession.

ballistics
01-24-09, 17:42
To be clear of who I am... I'm "rocky" from TF.

BVickery
01-24-09, 18:22
Dr. Williams,

Welcome to the board. The members here, the ones I have talked to, have been nothing short of amazing in their willingness to share what they learned and know about this discipline.

I am also eager to take one of your courses with my wife and meeting you in person.

Again, welcome and hope you do enjoy your stay.

DrJSW
01-24-09, 21:32
"rocky"... good to see you here, as well as many of the other handles I recognize from the Other Place.

bvickery... I appreciate your interest in taking a Tactical Anatomy class. I am certainly open to expanding my operations to new sites and new "markets", to borrow terminology from the people who advise me on the "business" side of my shop. However, I have only conducted one civilian class recently, and it was a struggle for some folks to get "up to speed" with the material. Virtually everything that is out there as training resources for the civilian shooter is 5 or more years behind the cutting edge of current LE training/information, and even cutting-edge LE training/tactics is several years behind our military guys in the Sandbox.

My 3D anatomic targeting training is nowhere near basic material. I've designed the training for the dedicated professional LE firearms instructor, who then can use my book and CD to reduce it to easily-digestible bites for his experienced patrol officers to cover over a year of inservice training.

Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to share with Good Guys (and Gals) of all stripes, I am not blowing ANYONE off. But there is more than a bit of prerequisite study that needs to be done by most cops and nearly all civilians if they want to get everything out of my classes.

In closing: I did NOT come onto this site to garner potential revenue. Like I tell the people at my ILEETA and IALEFI classes every year, I already have a good-paying day job. I'm here at M4Carbine.net to share interests and information. On that note, let me say that henceforth any inquiries into the training side of my stuff will be diverted out of M4C to my website or to PM's.

tpd223
01-27-09, 01:45
I came over here as well.

I like the look of the site, the rules and the level of discussion better.

Nice to see the two good Docs over here.

Chuck

OrigamiAK
01-28-09, 11:14
I am also moving over from TF. The other TFers probably don't know me at all because I only lurked there. I'd like to thank DocGKR, DrJSW, tpd223, and many others for their excellent contributions on TF. And I look forward to the future discussions here, too.

DrJSW
01-28-09, 15:25
I came over here as well.

I like the look of the site, the rules and the level of discussion better.

Nice to see the two good Docs over here.

Chuck

Chuck... good to see you here.

Jay Cunningham
01-28-09, 15:29
Welcome fellas! Make yourselves at home!

PA PATRIOT
01-28-09, 16:51
Another recent transplant from TEF after I received the info that Doc Roberts set up shop here. Not much for me to offer but I'll never stop trying to learn so I offer a warm Hello to all!

Phila PD

Pick187
01-28-09, 18:08
Also here from TF. Glad to see a lot of names that I know and respect.

Wayne Dobbs
01-28-09, 18:56
And I've been around M4C for a while but my TF days are done. My handle over there was Det.WD.

Good to see a bunch of good guys here!

wrinkles
01-28-09, 21:07
Another TF member moving over here.

Buckeye
02-16-09, 09:17
I too posted on TF but it's been so long that I don't even recall the name I was using. I recently tried to re-register there and waited several weeks to get "approved". Never did so I emailed the admins and the next time I tried to login found that my id, profile, etc. had been completely removed. Apparently they aren't interested in growing.

I mentioned the situation on Glocktalk and referred to the ballistics forum and another member informed me that the good doctor had moved here. So, here I am, hoping to learn.