PDA

View Full Version : Machine Pulled Bullets

cpizzle
01-20-09, 20:13
I'm new to reloading and have come across some nice deals on "machine pulled bullets". What should I be concerned with when looking at these bullets before buying?

rat31465
01-21-09, 12:01
I have shot some bullets that were pulled and the big issue would be whether or not these were pulled with an inertia type puller or a collet type?

If I were to guess I would say that if these are bought in bulk that a collet style puller was used. A collet actually grasps the bullet around the Ogive (the Major diameter ) of the bullet and then use pressure to hold the bullet as it is being pulled. This squeeze can cause the jackets to crush slightly and pull away from the lead core which then creates a slug which is out of round.
Especially if these bullets are hollow points or are cannulered bullets which will require even more pressure to pull since the cases will also be crimped.

If you are wanting a bullet just to blast at close range? Say inside 100 yards. Chances are you wont have any issues with them. If however you want a bullet that will hold minute of angle accuracy....dont count on these working for you.
Give any you buy a good visual inspection looking for burrs, cuts and even rolling each on a hard flat surface watching for any wobble.
Expect a high Rejection rate...