PDA

View Full Version : SABR Questions

GlockWRX
01-21-09, 15:16
I’ve got a LWRC 7.62 SABR on order and I’m having some 2nd thoughts on what version I should get. I originally placed the order for the DMR version with UBR stock and 18” medium contour barrel. But now I’m wondering if I should get the 20” heavy barreled version with the PRS stock. The dealer I’m working with will switch my order, no problem.

This is my first precision rifle, so I’m way down on the learning curve. My primary use for this rifle will be recreational shooting at 300 to 600 yards. That’s where 90% of the shooting will be. Eventually, I’d like to go beyond that to as much as 1,000 yards. Also, I’d eventually like to add a suppressor.

I originally picked the 18” barrel with UBR stock because it was lighter and shorter, and since I planned on adding a suppressor I wanted to keep the weight and length down as much as possible. Some of the longer range shooting will require that I hike in a bit (a mile or two at most) and/or being strapped to the back of an ATV, so weight and length is something I’d like to reduce if possible. But now I wonder if I am giving up too much in the accuracy/velocity department, especially at long range, with the shorter barrel and that the UBR stock will not be entirely suitable for precision shooting.

What are your thoughts? For the use I’ve described, which makes the better choice?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Iraq Ninja
01-21-09, 16:35
I would think that the 18 should be fine. Don't worry about the stock, since you can always replace it. What are the respective MOA for both versions?

Remember that the PRS stock is made for a AR style weapon with a charging handle. Some people don't like it. The SABR doesn't have one, thus you have more options. But, a UBR and a sock full of rice should do everything you need to do. The Magpul cheek riser on the UBR will work well too.

Does the SABR have the option to move the charging handle to the right side? I am a lefty, and having it on the left is not the best...

GlockWRX
01-21-09, 17:33
Thanks for the response.

I sent an email to LWRC and they stated that there is hardly any difference in MOA between the two barrels. There is a slight loss in velocity with the shorter barrel which may make a difference at longer ranges. I would imagine the heavy contour barrel doesn't heat up as fast, but that may not matter for my application.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the 20" version has the adjustable Geissele trigger while the 18" DMR version has the non-adjustable trigger. I don't know if the adjustments are that critical.

I'm a lefty too, and the side charging handle may not be the best. I've never handled one, but I figured I can keep the stock pulled into my shoulder with my right hand and work the bolt handle with my left and still maintain a view through the scope if I had too.

300LW
01-22-09, 10:54
For me, the biggest difference between the 18" and 20" SABR is the rifling twist rate. The 11.25" twist of the 20" barrel is generally considered to be ideal for bullets in the 168-180 gr. range that would be used for precision long range shooting.

thetallengineer
01-28-09, 12:20
I'm considering ordering a 20" SABR, are you guys buying direct from LWRC or is their a prefered retailer?

gunadict
01-28-09, 13:03
It is cheaper to order directly from LWRC. I have 2 SABR's on order. Mine are being shipped to my dealer, he has one on order also. You save a few hundred dollars in tax, and no markup.

mrwickwire
04-18-09, 20:37
It is not necessarily cheaper to order direct. Check out On Point Firearms.