PDA

View Full Version : Taking Apart A Buffer

Red B
01-22-09, 06:34
I think I need a H2 buffer which is about 1+ ounces more than my standard CAR buffer. But, before I rushed out to buy a H2 I thought that maybe I could just add some lead shot into the one I have, test its function with a couple of shots to see if the added weight would help my short stroking problem as everything else is OK (CAR stock w/20" barrel). If that worked than I would be G2G to buy a H2.

I removed the roll pin from the plastic end plug but, I can't get the plug out. I don't want to destroy this one if the added weight didn't work. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Robb Jensen
01-22-09, 07:00
The tungsten rod needed to make 2 weights to replace 2 of your steel weights will cost you more than the cost of a H2 buffer........

MisterWilson
01-22-09, 07:32
I think that going for a heavier buffer is going in the opposite direction of fixing short stroking.

(I could be wrong)

If I were me, I think I'd try clipping a coil or two off your buffer spring.

(I could be wrong on that too)

markm
01-22-09, 07:49
Are you truly getting a short stroke? Or TOO much bolt speed?

g5m
01-22-09, 08:00
If you're really set on taking it apart then the only way I've found when the plastic end piece is really stuck is to gently hold the body in a vise and use pliers or vise-grips to rotate the plug a bit and then it will usually come out without problem. You may ruin the whole thing doing this, however. That tube isn't very strong to resist vise pressure.
And then you usually wind up having a ruined buffer sitting around the shop area.

KyAKGuy
01-22-09, 16:09
If you're really set on taking it apart then the only way I've found when the plastic end piece is really stuck is to gently hold the body in a vise and use pliers or vise-grips to rotate the plug a bit and then it will usually come out without problem. You may ruin the whole thing doing this, however. That tube isn't very strong to resist vise pressure.
And then you usually wind up having a ruined buffer sitting around the shop area.

Uh... I would recommend driving out the roll pin that holds the buffer cap on
before you try to twist it off...
Shake the buffer downward slamming the weights against the cap. It should
get it started and make it easier to pry off.

KyAKGuy

Red B
01-22-09, 19:55
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

I tried everything short of tearing up the buffer to no avail. I put the roll pin back in. And got to thinking about the buffer spring. Replaced it with a new one and, it almost closed the bolt on the second round from the mag. So I streched it out a little and it worked. It seems that I need a stronger spring to chamber rounds from the mag in my 20" barrel w/the CAR stock. I have ordered an extra power buffer spring and I think I will be GTG. I let you all know how it worked out after I receive it and give it a range test.

g5m
01-22-09, 22:02
Uh... I would recommend driving out the roll pin that holds the buffer cap on
before you try to twist it off...
Shake the buffer downward slamming the weights against the cap. It should
get it started and make it easier to pry off.

KyAKGuy

Yes , of course. But since he had already written that the pin was driven out I Assumed that that was understood. Mistake.

Red B
01-23-09, 06:53
Yes, the roll pin had been driven out before I tried to get the cap off. But, I'll tell you that cap wasn't going to come off without a hacksaw. Glad I didn't go anyfurther as I think that all I need is a stronger buffer spring. We'll see...

Iraqgunz
01-23-09, 07:55
Red,

A word of caution. Did you re-use the roll pin? I highly recommend that you get a new one. I have seen what happens first hand when that pin works loose while in the lower receiver extension. You on the other probably don't want to.

seb5
01-23-09, 10:24
Or just buy a new carbine buffer for like $6.00 and call it a lesson learned. I wouldn't want to depend on a buffer that I twisted, pried, or experimented on.

Red B
01-23-09, 20:55
Good points, well taken. A carbine buffer for $6??? Where? Is the quality any good?