PDA

View Full Version : What frame for a 1911 build

Hobbes
11-29-06, 22:21
So I'm starting to get some parts (after Christmas) for a 1911 build and am considering either a RRA railed frame or a Caspian frame.
Advantages? Price isn't a concern here (well, I can take more time to save up) but this will be a hard use gun. Many of the parts I picked are the same as Grant's part list in fact.

For those that think I should attempt to build a hard use gun myself, I know, but building it is part of the fun for me, and I have no problem replacing small parts or worst case, sending it off to YoBo or something to get fixed....
Thanks
I'd also like any other advice, parts recommendations etc...

eta: forgot to ask, is getting the muzzle flush cut worth it?

Resq47
11-30-06, 01:58

I'm not sure what you'll gain from it other than aesthetic capital.

Dave Berryhill
11-30-06, 07:38
I'm not sure what you'll gain from it other than aesthetic capital.
From an accuracy point of view - nothing. But it does give the crown a little more protection from damage and, as you mentioned, some like the look of it.

Hobbes
11-30-06, 10:56
I was thinking it may offer some protection to the crown...aesthetically, I don't really care either way.
Anybody have any experience with the Caspian vs. RRA frames?

VA_Dinger
11-30-06, 11:01

I think so, but merely for cosmetic reasons.

bullitt5172
11-30-06, 11:19
IMHO, I would prefer the RRA forged frame to the Caspian cast frame. I know that the cast frame is plenty strong and isn't an issue but if I were starting from scratch I would go forged. I also prefer the checkering on the RRA pistols.

I am having the muzzle flush cut on my Wilson to help protect it but I like the way it looks as well.

Hobbes
11-30-06, 11:22
thanks for the info, I'm actually thinking of having 'golf balls' done instead of checkering but I haven't decided yet either....

Vinh
11-30-06, 14:00
If you're going to get the golfball treatment, consider letting Chuck do the high cut as well. It seems like the RRA frame already comes with a high cut, as does the Caspian Basic. A Caspian "Classic A1" configuration might be worth consideration.

Hobbes
11-30-06, 15:29
If you're going to get the golfball treatment, consider letting Chuck do the high cut as well. It seems like the RRA frame already comes with a high cut, as does the Caspian Basic. A Caspian "Classic A1" configuration might be worth consideration.

Would this be Chuck Rogers of Rogers Precision?
If so, he's actually sending me a MSH with a sample of the golfball treatment so I can feel them before I get any work done...hopefully, if I decide to do it, he will be accepting orders again by the time I'm ready to send it off!

Linea_de_Fuego
11-30-06, 15:46
Would this be Chuck Rogers of Rogers Precision?
If so, he's actually sending me a MSH with a sample of the golfball treatment so I can feel them before I get any work done...hopefully, if I decide to do it, he will be accepting orders again by the time I'm ready to send it off!
If you are already in dialogue with him and want a 1911 built from the ground up then ask him about the frame you like. I have read where Hilton Yam discussed base pistols as a starting point where he favors the Colt 1991A1. If you want the integral rail rather than the Dawson component the choices are as you know more limited.

Hobbes
11-30-06, 16:08
I am doing the fitting of parts myself, but am going to have someone else to work that will require a lathe/mill etc (sight cuts, front strap etc)
I would like an integral rail, and it will be a ground up build so it appears I'm pretty much limited to Caspian and RRA (I think LB offers one too actually).

Linea_de_Fuego
11-30-06, 17:00
If I could have gotten the Caspian in CA their tactical integrated magwell frame looked good to me. I would have let them do the machining and checkering etc.