PDA

View Full Version : Eotech questions

mike01ta
11-30-06, 00:17
I just bought a 511. Have not even had time to pull it out of the box. Here are my questions:
1. Will it co-witness being mounted directly to the reciever or will some sort of riser be in order?
2. Considering I have no use for NV capability and dont care much about battery life or submersible ratings are there really any advantages to the 512,551, or 552? I know the better advantages of the 553 but I only spent 325 instead of 5??$
Thanks MD

MASP7
11-30-06, 07:05
Assuming you're talking about the AR flattop platform...

Yes, the EO will co-witness with the sights. Line of sight will be through the center of the field of view.
The riser will put the LOS in the lower third of the FOV, which is highly recommended. While you can buy a cheaper riser mount, the Larue is the best of the bunch.

Other than the issues stated, the 511 will does everything the others will, at a lower cost. If you don't need those capabilities, it's definitely the bargain of the Eotech line.

AR-15A3
11-30-06, 10:08
+1 what MASP7 said.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTD2KEOTech551-KACBUIS2-MD.jpg
My 551 without any mount have an absolute co-witness with my KAC 300m flip up BUIS and it should be same with any brand BUIS

I got mine from Grant of G&R Tactical. :D

mike01ta
11-30-06, 17:05
+1 what MASP7 said.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/LMTD2KEOTech551-KACBUIS2-MD.jpg
My 551 without any mount have an absolute co-witness with my KAC 300m flip up BUIS and it should be same with any brand BUIS

I got mine from Grant of G&R Tactical. :D

I mounted mine and as it is now the center dot is setting halfway up the sight post. Shouldnt the dot be setting on top of the post? Will this change after I sight it in on paper?

Thanks MD

MASP7
11-30-06, 18:23
I mounted mine and as it is now the center dot is setting halfway up the sight post. Shouldnt the dot be setting on top of the post? Will this change after I sight it in on paper?

Thanks MD

Yes, when you actually zero the Eo the center dot should be at the top of the front sight post. You can cut a bunch of time out of the process by adjusting it up there beforehand. It will be close to being zeroed that way, and will only require some fine tuning.

mike01ta
11-30-06, 21:48
Yes, when you actually zero the Eo the center dot should be at the top of the front sight post. You can cut a bunch of time out of the process by adjusting it up there beforehand. It will be close to being zeroed that way, and will only require some fine tuning.

Roger that.
Thanks MD

mike01ta
12-02-06, 15:44
Whats the proper way to clean the lenses on an EoTech? I have tried wiping with a scope cloth but it just seems to smudge. Any ideas? I dont want to ruin anything.
Thanks MD

Robb Jensen
12-02-06, 15:49
I use lenses cleaner for glasses on a Q-tip.

mike01ta
12-02-06, 18:04
I use lenses cleaner for glasses on a Q-tip.

Roger that.
MD

ISAIAH53
12-05-06, 07:33
Assuming you're talking about the AR flattop platform...

The riser will put the LOS in the lower third of the FOV, which is highly recommended.
I have very limited experience with these type of optics, and mine is an Aimpoint. Why is the LOS in the lower third of the FOV recommended? Would that same recommendation hold true for the Aimpoint Comp M2?

MASP7
12-05-06, 09:18
It just gives you a more unobstructed view above the sights.
When the LOS is in the middle of the FOV, the sights take up a lot of the FOV.
This is especially true with the Aimpoint, which has a smaller FOV than the TV-screen-shaped Eotech.

ISAIAH53
12-05-06, 09:32
Thanks - 'preciate it.