PDA

View Full Version : Scope for SABR 308

gunadict
01-22-09, 22:42
I ordered a couple of LWRC SABR 308's with 20" barrels and now I have to get a scope. I want to shoot out to 500 yards, maybe a little longer. I am not a big scope guy. I shoot a lot of open sights, this will be my first real long range rifle. Thanks in advance for any help.

thetallengineer
01-23-09, 12:24
This might be better suited in the optics section. Do you have a budget in mind, that will quickly start to narrow down the choices. I'm debating getting a SABR as well and it will most likely end up having a Nightforce 2.5-10x-32, possibly the 3.5-15x-50.

What type of shooting do you plan on doing with the SABR?

GlockWRX
01-23-09, 13:14
I'm in a similar situation. I've got a 20" SABR on order and am looking for a scope. I don't have much experience with magnified optics and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. My intention is to shoot mostly at 500 yds and under, but would like to shoot at 1000 yds when I can.

So far this is what I would like:
A variable with a lower power between 3-5x and an upper power in the mid-teens.
First Focal Plane
All MOA or all Mil adjustments and ranging features. I don't to range in Mil's and make elevation adjustments in MOA. One or the other
Ranging reticle. Could be Mil-dot or something else depending on the adjustments (see above).
Illuminated reticle
Under $2k with mount
Zero stop
Robust and waterproof construction

The closest I've seen is the Nightforce 3.5-15x56. It has everything but the illuminated reticle. I've heard that they are making them with in FFP and new zero stop, although I have not seen them catalogued or priced with those features yet.

Anything else meet those criteria?

Serp
01-25-09, 23:58
just curious whats the eta on the sabrs?

i heard they werent going into civi production till march

gunadict
01-26-09, 04:26
I was told March-April. I got on the list day 1.

texasfrog
05-01-09, 00:47
This might be better suited in the optics section. Do you have a budget in mind, that will quickly start to narrow down the choices. I'm debating getting a SABR as well and it will most likely end up having a Nightforce 2.5-10x-32, possibly the 3.5-15x-50.

What type of shooting do you plan on doing with the SABR?

I think that the 3.5-15x50 is the best option out of the two you mentioned. A 2.5-10 would be a waste of barrel length for a 20" SABR. Get the most out of your 7.62 barrel by matching the barrel length with the proper glass.
Just my humble opinion.

Iraq Ninja
05-01-09, 11:52
Gunaddict,

Since it is now past April, did you get yours yet? I am very interested in the SABR, but want to wait and here back from the users.

My concern is with it being a piston based system. I always thought a DI system is superior. I hope LWRC can pull it off though...

GlockWRX
05-01-09, 12:15
I put my order in to get one of the first batch released to the general public. But they still aren't out yet. A few institutional users have them, but publicly released feed back is limited.

There are a few that are supposed to come out in April/May, but they won't be released widely until mid to late summer (July/August). LWRC is incorporating some improvements/revisions to the design, mostly to the rail from what I've heard. The rifle is supposed to be 1 MOA or better, but we'll see.

My theory is that the piston system will keep the bolt and other components cooler which will translate into more dimensional stability and therfore accuracy. But GAP and Larue have shown that a DI rifle can shoot plenty well.

Back to optics: I'm still up in the air on what optic to get. I thought I had kind of settled on the USO ST-10, but then I also like the 2.5-10x32 Nightforce for the variable. Then other days I think I want to get more magnification. Decisions, decision, decisions....

Iraq Ninja
05-01-09, 13:59
I use that Nightforce over here. I love it and it has been rock solid for the past year. The recital is the one with the dot in the center, I think it is called the FC2.

It is very good for close range, but out past 600, I would want mil dots I think. I also heard that the SEALS like this model and recital.

theJanitor
05-01-09, 14:08
The closest I've seen is the Nightforce 3.5-15x56. It has everything but the illuminated reticle. I've heard that they are making them with in FFP and new zero stop, although I have not seen them catalogued or priced with those features yet.

i though all the NF's (except the benchrest) are illuminated?

Razorhunter
05-01-09, 14:11
So what kind of price range is the 7.62 SABR going to be at? I told LWRC a couple years back that "308 SABR" just sounds lame, and they started using "7.62 SABR" at times, but I have never determined if they fully dropped 308 SABR or not? I know I've seen it referred to as both actually.
Anyhow, regardless of the name, what is the price looking to be guys?
I thought they were going to make people buy the 20", AND 12.5" upper COMBO, and the 20" would not be available seperately. Is this not the case? I sure hope not. I know damn well they are going to KILL us on the price, and most guys won't be able to afford two uppers at once...
Info guys?

What stock will it have on it? PRS? UBR?

VooDoo6Actual
05-01-09, 14:51
+1 Iraq Ninja's comments.

I have a NF 1X4 FC-2 w/ Zero stop turrets on my AR10T Noveske did and it FLAT out ROCKS.

I will verify that CRANE/TEAM guys are using these.

The NF 2.5X10X32 is excellent as well. Depends on the range and your eyes.

Had a few USO and too heavy and overated for what they deliver.

NF glass is right up there and your really splitting hairs vs. SB.

YMMV....

Iraq Ninja
05-01-09, 15:03
HOP,

What mount you running your glass in...LaRue like mine? Sounds like you love your Noveske. I know he is big on DI gas systems for these kind of guns.

I really like the KAC SASS, but have no idea if we can even buy them yet or when. Its 0.5 MOA sounds very good to me.

Sigmax
05-01-09, 15:12
+1 Iraq Ninja's comments.

I have a NF 1X4 FC-2 w/ Zero stop turrets on my AR10T Noveske did and it FLAT out ROCKS.

I will verify that CRANE/TEAM guys are using these.

The NF 2.5X10X32 is excellent as well. Depends on the range and your eyes.

Had a few USO and too heavy and overated for what they deliver.

NF glass is right up there and your really splitting hairs vs. SB.

YMMV....

That's good to know as I am torn between NF and SB. A couple of my old partners has some NF that I will be able to try out but only one guy has the SB and he is overseas.

Curious how much the daytime illumination of the SB will really matter.

Sigmax
05-01-09, 15:16
So what kind of price range is the 7.62 SABR going to be at? I told LWRC a couple years back that "308 SABR" just sounds lame, and they started using "7.62 SABR" at times, but I have never determined if they fully dropped 308 SABR or not? I know I've seen it referred to as both actually.
I thought they were going to make people buy the 20", AND 12.5" upper COMBO, and the 20" would not be available seperately. Is this not the case? I sure hope not. I know damn well they are going to KILL us on the price, and most guys won't be able to afford two uppers at once...
Info guys?

I think the following

12.7 & 16- 2875
18 & 20 - 3200

You buy one gun and then you can order another upper if you wish. I have the 12.7 on order and once I can really tell when it will be coming in I will order a 18 or 20 upper to come in later to spread out the cost.

That's all I know. Should be mid to late summer to early fall from what I was told.

GlockWRX
05-01-09, 16:01
i though all the NF's (except the benchrest) are illuminated?

They are. I was just getting up to speed on magnified optics when I posted that, and I was incorrect.

GlockWRX
05-01-09, 16:19
Info guys?

The 20" guns have the PRS stocks and a heavy barrel. They also have adjustable Geissele triggers.

The 18" versions have the UBR stocks and a medium contour barrel. They also include the non-adjustable version of the Geissele trigger.

The 16.1" models have regular contour barrels and UBR stocks. Standard GI triggers.

All versions have ambi mag releases, ambi bolt hold open levers, and MIAD grips (or they did the last time I saw something from Darren or Jesse). They also include Troy folding sights.

Both the 18" and 20" versions will retail for $3125. The 16" guns are $2875. The 12.7" SBR's may or may not be produced right away depending on who you talk to. You actually can't buy just the uppers for now either. Eventually you should be able too. Also, the two upper 'kits' seem to be agency only purchases.

Regarding the NF 2.5-10x32: My understanding is that you can order other reticles in there including a Mil-dot and their other Mil scale style reticle. You can also get mil/mil adjustments and 0 stops. Nice! I'm very intrigued by this scope. Probably 95% of my shooting will be 200-700 yds (recreation). But I would occasionally like to reach out to 1,000 yds, just so I can brag about it at parties.

But is a 2.5-10x32 enough?

Sigmax
05-01-09, 17:57
The 20" guns have the PRS stocks and a heavy barrel. They also have adjustable Geissele triggers.

The 18" versions have the UBR stocks and a medium contour barrel. They also include the non-adjustable version of the Geissele trigger.

The 16.1" models have regular contour barrels and UBR stocks. Standard GI triggers.

All versions have ambi mag releases, ambi bolt hold open levers, and MIAD grips (or they did the last time I saw something from Darren or Jesse). They also include Troy folding sights.

Both the 18" and 20" versions will retail for $3125. The 16" guns are $2875. The 12.7" SBR's may or may not be produced right away depending on who you talk to. You actually can't buy just the uppers for now either. Eventually you should be able too. Also, the two upper 'kits' seem to be agency only purchases.

Regarding the NF 2.5-10x32: My understanding is that you can order other reticles in there including a Mil-dot and their other Mil scale style reticle. You can also get mil/mil adjustments and 0 stops. Nice! I'm very intrigued by this scope. Probably 95% of my shooting will be 200-700 yds (recreation). But I would occasionally like to reach out to 1,000 yds, just so I can brag about it at parties.

I did get confirmation from LWRC that they are building the 12.7" as normal. I don't know if it is worth anything but Knesek says that they can order you a spare upper to go in the second run of these. Whenever that is.

But that is from a retailer and not directly from LWRC.

texasfrog
05-01-09, 20:14

Think about it this way...
If you go with the 2.5-10 vice the 3.5-15, you will loose 5x on the high end. And if you go with a 3.5-15 vice 2.5-10, you will loose 1x on the low end. Would you rather sacrife 1x low end for 5x high end? You said 95% of your shooting will be 200-700 yds, and occasionally 1000, I think the 3.5-15 will be perfect for your needs. Is this glass for an 18" or 20" barrel???

GlockWRX
05-01-09, 20:20
Think about it this way...
If you go with the 2.5-10 vice the 3.5-15, you will loose 5x on the high end. And if you go with a 3.5-15 vice 2.5-10, you will loose 1x on the low end. Would you rather sacrife 1x low end for 5x high end? You said 95% of your shooting will be 200-700 yds, and occasionally 1000, I think the 3.5-15 will be perfect for your needs. Is this glass for an 18" or 20" barrel???

20". You are probably right.

VooDoo6Actual
05-01-09, 22:34
Iraq Ninja,

It's a lot dirtier and fuglier than these photos now.

LRT SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT-104 works well and I have no issues w/ relief.

Some prefer LRT SPR-E LT-139.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0015Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0028Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0012Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_2518Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0013Large.jpg

It's a 600 yd gun.

texasfrog's comment is RO.

If you have a 20" and want ot reach out go 3.5X

NF is not a SB BUT for the money it's darn close. It's about 1G +/- less.

I have shot both and I could not tell an apreciable difference.

I don't wriite for mags or get the BRO discount :rolleyes: or sponsored glass.

I earn ALL my KIT.

HTH....

VooDoo6Actual
05-03-09, 08:51
gunaddict,

Did some checking w/ sources.

this is a SUPERB 1,000 YD Scope.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50_F1/3_5-15x50_f1.html

HTH....

gunadict
05-04-09, 04:35
Thanks for all of the help. I had planed on a Nightforce, just did not know which one. As far as the SABR goes, I was told the end of May or the beginning of June. I was told that they will be doing all of the barrel length option. I was also told that if you wanted an different length upper, you had to order it all at the same time since they fit the uppers to the lowers. They would not sell a separate upper later. Like was said before, the story changes depending who you talk too.

Turnkey11
05-04-09, 21:44
Being the budget minded individual I am, I will be using a used Millett DMS-1 1-4x24mm optic in Larue SPR mount on my 18" SABR when it arrives. When I break the optic I may upgrade, but the $3300 an change is already painful enough with my new job and all.:D

gunadict
05-05-09, 04:30
I just bought that combo for my LWRC M6A2. I have not got to shoot it yet, since it has been raining non stop since it arrived. SWFA has them for $199. That is the best price I could find. They seem to be good scopes. They are getting ready to ship the newest model. They moved the illumination knob to the rear of the scope.

mrwickwire
05-05-09, 09:50
You may want to consider the Burris Black Diamond. Their prices are really reasonable. I plan on putting the 32x version on my SABR.

Turnkey11
05-05-09, 23:49
I just bought that combo for my LWRC M6A2. I have not got to shoot it yet, since it has been raining non stop since it arrived. SWFA has them for $199. That is the best price I could find. They seem to be good scopes. They are getting ready to ship the newest model. They moved the illumination knob to the rear of the scope.

Ive been shooting one on my buddies Larue upper and its perfect for what I plan on using the rifle for. Just one thing to remember, its not an aimpoint, if you leave the illumination on overnight it will dead next time you try to use it.

BiggLee71
05-07-09, 14:33
i know most of these guys said it before but i'll say it again,nightforce is the way to go.i've used s&b's,leupy's in the past but i,like alot of other people out there are finally coming around to the fact that nightforce is the bomb when it comes to optics.great glass and super tough is a hard combo to beat.i would just pick out the model you lke and buy it cause it seems that the prices on nf just keep creeping up.oh yea,if you plan on reaching out real far,check out the r2 reticle.it seems to have been created by the agency's goto guy in long range target interdiction.its super fast and a hell of alot easier than antiquated mildots.just my .02 cents