PDA

View Full Version : Prominent anti-gunner knocks new NY Senator

Littlelebowski
01-23-09, 06:17
Our "it's a shoulder thing that goes up" friend Carolyn McCarthy is furious over the replacement for Hillary Clinton, Kirsten Gillibrand who though a Democrat has a "A" rating from the NRA. Delicious :D

Link (http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/longisland/ny-pocaro236009107jan23,0,5071719.story)

McCarthy knocks Gillibrand as choice for Senate

BY REID J. EPSTEIN | reid.epstein@newsday.com
January 23, 2009

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy said yesterday Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand's gun control views make her unacceptable for the U.S. Senate and threatened a primary challenge in 2010 if Gov. David A. Paterson selects the Hudson Democrat to replace Hillary Rodham Clinton.

McCarthy, who became a prominent gun-control advocate after her husband died and her son was injured in the 1993 massacre at the Long Island Rail Road's Merillon Avenue station that killed six people and injured 19 others, said she is "furious" about reports that Paterson today may select Gillibrand, who last year earned an "A" grade from the National Rifle Association.

"I've spent 15 years trying to prevent gun violence in this country, and if he does pick her and if no one goes and primaries her, I will primary her," McCarthy said. "I will do that. I'm not going to give up on this. I'm not going to let New York State get represented by someone who gets a 100 percent rating from the NRA."

Sen. Charles Schumer, who like McCarthy is a strong proponent of gun control, asked the Mineola Democrat to refrain from protesting Gillibrand's selection, McCarthy said.

"He said, 'Why don't you give her a chance?'" McCarthy said. "I said, 'I've talked to her on the floor, I'm sorry, I can't.'"

Schumer spokesman Josh Vlasto confirmed McCarthy called Schumer yesterday. He "made it clear to the congresswoman that he didn't know if it was Gillibrand, but if it was, like any Democrat, we should give that person a chance," Vlasto said.

McCarthy said she will boycott today's Albany ceremony in which she said she expects Paterson to announce Gillibrand as the Senate pick.

"I will not show any support whatsoever," she said. "The majority of New Yorkers are trying to reduce gun violence. I just feel that everybody should know what her record is. If she changes, let's see it."

Gillibrand, whose office did not return phone calls yesterday, touts her gun acumen on her Web site and said she intends to support the Second Amendment.

"I learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun and I believe that every law-abiding citizen should always have the right to own arms," she says on her Web site.

Nassau Democratic chairman Jay Jacobs said he did not expect McCarthy to follow through on her threat of a primary challenge. "What she meant to say is that if Gillibrand is selected, that she would need to moderate her views on gun control," he said.

Told of Jacobs' assessment, McCarthy said she intends to support a challenge should Gillibrand be selected.

Buckaroo
01-23-09, 06:21
Great! I could vote Democrat in NY, Ha!:p:p

BVickery
01-23-09, 06:33
There is a small, but growing sized group of Pro-2a Democrats. I know here in Florida there are a couple on the Federal Level that get A's from NRA and GOA etc.

Hell, when I lived in Mass. my local rep was a VERY strong 2A supporter and got an A+ and high endorsements from GOAL there. And the kicker is, as far as I knew he was really not a gun guy.

30 cal slut
01-23-09, 06:58
Never thought I'd say this in my lifetime, but props to Governor Paterson for the choice!

sjc3081
01-23-09, 07:16
Holy Pelosi , I can't believe it. Smart move by Patterson. Rudy Guilliani is going to run for this senate seat in 2012 and he has a bad NRA rating. Now this seat will be secure for the Democrates.

Business_Casual
01-23-09, 07:39
"I've spent 15 years trying to prevent gun violence in this country,

The hubris these people display is astonishing.

M_P

Iraqgunz
01-23-09, 07:45
Another shining example of the tolerance that is displayed by the left. In addition to the 2nd Amendment she is willing to piss all over Governors right to choose the candidate of his choice as well. Well done you twat.

Mark71
01-23-09, 07:49
Never thought I'd say this in my lifetime, but props to Governor Paterson for the choice!

Same here! He made an excellent choice.

Business_Casual
01-23-09, 07:52
Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard - we've all seen what happens when someone comes to the center of the empire and lives here for a few years.

Given the right political plum in exchange for her vote, she will sell us out in a heartbeat.

However, as many have complained about the doom and gloom guys never taking a day off, I will say "good for now! and have a nice weekend! :D "

M_P

R1pper
01-23-09, 08:06
Hell, when I lived in Mass. my local rep was a VERY strong 2A supporter and got an A+ and high endorsements from GOAL there. And the kicker is, as far as I knew he was really not a gun guy.

Where in Mass. What Rep?

-DM-

JBnTX
01-23-09, 08:08
"I'm not going to let New York State get represented by someone who gets a 100 percent rating from the NRA."

That's typical Liberal BS!
She's trying to undermine who gets represented.

How democratic is it to try and prevent the opposing view of any topic from being heard?

R1pper
01-23-09, 08:17
[B]
How democratic is it to try and prevent the opposing view of any topic from being heard?

That is the key, shes just another typical Hypocrat.

-DM-

thopkins22
01-23-09, 09:50
"I learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun and I believe that every law-abiding citizen should always have the right to own arms,"

The lesson here is that we should all go out of our way to teach as many kids to shoot in a controlled and safe environment as we can...they still might wind up on the left, but at least they'll respect firearms instead of developing irrational fears.

Winston Smith
01-23-09, 11:33
As a conservitive, gun owning NY State Republican, I plan on changing my party affiliation just to help stop Caroline McCarthy in the primary election. Its also going to cost me some serious money in the primary fundraising.

Any help you can give will be a big +1 for gun rights.

If you live in NY, please register as a Democrat (you can and should, still vote Republican) for the primary in 2 years.

If you don't live in NY, just send us your money!

PS --- Thank GOD we didn't get Kennedy!:D

ToddG
01-23-09, 13:39
If you don't live in NY, just send us your money!

If Gillibrand really does keep to her own course on 2A issues with Schumer breathing down her neck, I'll certainly send her some war chest cash.

5pins
01-23-09, 14:02
The Dems are just pissed off that they didn’t get a NY city lib ( Caroline Kennedy ) and now may have someone that may not tow the line.

BVickery
01-23-09, 15:22
Same here, may send her some cash if she keeps to her roots.

HwyKnight
01-23-09, 15:27
My condolences on her loss so many years ago, but they were shot with a 9mm pistol, so now she hates 'Assault Weapons' WTF!?!:mad:

Iraqgunz
01-23-09, 15:55
It's the same with the Brady Gang. James Brady was shot with a .22 caliber handgun and the Brady Center started as Handgun Control Inc. It has nothing to do with being rational or anything else. They hate guns, all guns. But, they can't say that so they twist words and say things like "machine gun", assault rifle", .50 caliber anti-plane guns, etc...to scare people.

My condolences on her loss so many years ago, but they were shot with a 9mm pistol, so now she hates 'Assault Weapons' WTF!?!:mad:

Gutshot John
01-23-09, 16:12
Damn...the Dems themselves pounded the first nail into the coffin of any future AWB.

Good deal.

JBnTX
01-23-09, 16:39
Damn...the Dems themselves pounded the first nail into the coffin of any future AWB....

Uh Oh! Where's Katar?

crob1
01-23-09, 17:21
"I will not show any support whatsoever," she said. "The majority of New Yorkers are trying to reduce gun violence. I just feel that everybody should know what her record is. If she changes, let's see it."

What an idiot. She equates someone who is pro-gun to someone who is pro-violence. Tell us McCarthy you genius, just what is her record that you speak of?

Gutshot John
01-23-09, 17:28
Uh Oh! Where's Katar?

Uhm...why?

zippygaloo
01-23-09, 17:30
Aren't the NRA ratings determined by the answers provided on some questionaire, which can be filled out by anyone in the politicians office?

Anyone remember Obama saying his handwriting did not appear on a questionnaire completed when he was a state senator which indicated he favored a handgun ban?

Gutshot John
01-23-09, 17:31
Aren't the NRA ratings determined by the answers provided on some form, which can be filled out by anyone in the politicians office? Anyone remember Obama saying his signature was not on a specific form because "one of his aids filled it out"?

Actually iirc he claimed that an aide filled it out, then his signature was discovered on the questionnaire.

zippygaloo
01-23-09, 17:54
Read this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_re_us/ny_senate_seat). It says she supports gun control. It also says she will protect "hunters" rights. So, if you own anything other than a 5 shot bolt action....???

I guess she is a lot better than the alternative.

Nathan_Bell
01-23-09, 18:05
Read this article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_re_us/ny_senate_seat). It says she supports gun control. It also says she will protect "hunters" rights. So, if you own anything other than a 5 shot bolt action....???

I guess she is a lot better than the alternative.

for a New York Democrat that is one hell of a step in the right direction.

BVickery
01-23-09, 18:11
Its a lot easier to enlighten a FUDD than a hopolite. At least that is my reasoning.

Rider79
01-23-09, 21:25
Its a lot easier to enlighten a FUDD than a hopolite. At least that is my reasoning.

I actually think its the other way around, the hoplophobe is often scared because they've never tried it. I've converted plenty. I've also dealt with plenty of FUDDs that think that there's no need for ARs and AKs, and nothing is going to change their mind. To alot of them, you're just a paranoid idiot.

Heavy Metal
01-23-09, 21:45
If Gillibrand really does keep to her own course on 2A issues with Schumer breathing down her neck, I'll certainly send her some war chest cash.

I will join you.

beckman
01-23-09, 23:18
Well, it sounds as though she may not be very different from Joe Biden, who steadfastedly assured us during the campaign that Obama would never take Joe Biden's fahncy, sporting shotguns. Given that Biden is one of the authors of the '94 AWB, that tells us all we need to know about "hunter's rights" and the Second Ammendment.

I can assure you that Gillibrand will be a one-third term senator if she votes against a federal AWB -- no matter how many M4C forum members send her money or cross register. Does anybody think that it's a coincidence that NYers chose BOTH Schumer and Hillary as US senators? Does anybody think that a strongly pro-gun politician really stands a snowball's chance in hell in the NY Democrat primary for US senator, let alone the election?

Gentoo
01-24-09, 02:46
The problem with NY is that NYC, because of its immense size, drags down the entire state to its level. Many (most) people outside the city and upstate outright despise anyone from the city.

k_cheerangie
01-24-09, 10:27
The behaviour of some of these people is down right f**king disgusting, she is carrying on like a child, what is wrong with this lady.

A-Bear680
01-24-09, 10:32

So will I.
Like LittleLebowski wrote: "Delicious :D "

mattjmcd
01-24-09, 12:10
The hubris these people display is astonishing.

M_P

Just one legally-armed person on that train and her life might not have been so tragically altered.

Buckaroo
01-24-09, 13:20
Just one legally-armed person on that train and her life might not have been so tragically altered.

Amen, anyone remember Luby's Cafe and what happened afterward? Too bad Rep. McCarthy did not learn from that tragedy, many others did and laws changed making Texas a safer place for law abiding citizens.

Buckaroo

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 13:31
Amen, anyone remember Luby's Cafe and what happened afterward? Too bad Rep. McCarthy did not learn from that tragedy, many others did and laws changed making Texas a safer place for law abiding citizens.

Buckaroo

Tex. Rep. Suzanna Hupp, the anti-McCaryty.

Alex22
01-25-09, 20:52
Here is an example of how much McCarthy actually knows about evil black rifles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U :eek:

Buckaroo
01-25-09, 21:29
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Senator: End Blagojevich-type appointments
Posted: 05:05 PM ET

From CNN's Ed Hornick
Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold says he plans to introduce an amendment banning governors from appointing senators.
Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold says he plans to introduce an amendment banning governors from appointing senators.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — First it was the uproar over the appointment by Illinois Gov. Roy Blagojevich of former state attorney general Roland Burris to fill President Barack Obama's remaining term in the Senate.

Then, New York Gov. David Paterson appointed Democratic Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to the Senate seat now vacated by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — creating a political circus over why Caroline Kennedy was given the cold shoulder.

Now, Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, says, enough is enough.

On Sunday, Feingold, said he plans to introduce an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to end appointments to the Senate by governors. Feingold, who is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, will advocate a special election instead.

“The controversies surrounding some of the recent gubernatorial appointments to vacant Senate seats make it painfully clear that such appointments are an anachronism that must end," he said in a press release.

A-Bear680
01-25-09, 21:57
Gillibrand is very smart and very tough , clearly a real nightmare to the gun-grabbers. Some are smart enough to spin the story , others just panic and lash-out....

ToddG
01-25-09, 22:28
On Sunday, Feingold, said he plans to introduce an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to end appointments to the Senate by governors. Feingold, who is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, will advocate a special election instead.

Never happen. Even putting aside the inherent difficulty in passing a new amendment, right now the Dems control the majority of gubernatorial slots so they're not going to give up that power. But I'm sure it will sound cool when he campaigns for re-election.

system60
01-27-09, 01:55
I'm ashamed to be from Mineola :(

Business_Casual
02-17-09, 11:57
Let's not pat ourselves on the back too hard - we've all seen what happens when someone comes to the center of the empire and lives here for a few years.

Given the right political plum in exchange for her vote, she will sell us out in a heartbeat.

However, as many have complained about the doom and gloom guys never taking a day off, I will say "good for now! and have a nice weekend! :D "

M_P

Wow, it is almost like I can see the future...

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-usgill0217,0,903835.story

M_P

A-Bear680
02-17-09, 14:38
I just voted in the poll .
Over 97% of those voting have no problem with her owning the rifles.

I think that she is still on on our side and will stay that way.
The gun-grabbers have picked a losing fight with the wrong woman..

R/Tdrvr
02-17-09, 18:02
Heard on the radio today that she is "wouldn't have any problem considering some gun control legislation". I agree with modern_pirate, she'll sell out eventually. Shumer will brain wash her.

ZDL
02-17-09, 21:17

read that one.

Business_Casual
02-18-09, 07:14
I just voted in the poll .
Over 97% of those voting have no problem with her owning the rifles.

I think that she is still on on our side and will stay that way.
The gun-grabbers have picked a losing fight with the wrong woman..

I have to ask, are you a Democrat troll? I've read your posts and you should be a "person of interest" to keep an eye on.

M_P

R/Tdrvr
02-18-09, 07:52

read that one.

From the article:
"Meanwhile, a search of the Lexis-Nexis database showed that Gillibrand has a Montana hunting license. But Canter said it's actually a fishing license. "

Who cares if she has an out of state hunting license? Is that going to be considered a crime in NY now?

A-Bear680
02-18-09, 11:40
I have to ask, are you a Democrat troll? I've read your posts and you should be a "person of interest" to keep an eye on.

M_P

Really ?
Not defeatist and paranoid enough to suit you?

:rolleyes:

So PM the mod's , big guy. It would be your duty.

Meanwhile back in the real world:
We need every vote we can get in Congress , even Ron Paul is good for something , sometimes.
It's all about winning and that takes votes.

The gun-grabbers are scared shitless of Gillibrand because she can beat them on their own turf. There are winners and there are whiners. Gillibrand's a winner. She is among the very best at flipping people over to our side. Gillibrand is one of the very few who can use their own gun-grabber buzzwords against them and steal support right out from under people like the other Senator from New York.

We'll see how it looks a year from now.

gbear48 AKA campperrykid

MarshallDodge
02-28-09, 20:35
Looks like we have more to worry about with Gillibrand:
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usgill266049715feb26,0,857834.story

chadbag
02-28-09, 20:38
Looks like we have more to worry about with Gillibrand:
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usgill266049715feb26,0,857834.story

Let her have it. Especially you NY based people. She should hear about this daily until she gets a clue.

Chad