PDA

View Full Version : Good thing we cannot carry guns in schools!

Buckaroo
01-23-09, 08:39
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/01/23/belgium.nursery.attack/index.html

Children dead in Belgian nursery knife attack

(CNN) -- Two children and one adult were killed Friday in a stabbing attack at a nursery school in Belgium, officials said.

Ten children and two adults were being treated in the hospital after the attack, the Interior Ministry said. It was unclear whether all of them suffered stab wounds.

The attacker entered the day care center in Dendermonde, about 16 miles northwest of Brussels, around 10 a.m. (4 a.m. ET) and began stabbing children and staff, the ministry said.

"The guy just went crazy," local official Theo Janssens said, according to Agence France-Presse news agency.

He was arrested an hour and a half afterwards, according to the Interior Ministry. Reports said he was trying to make his escape on a bicycle.

Local journalist Bart Bekaert told CNN that the attacker's face was painted black and white. VideoHear Bekaert describe the attack »

"Witnesses say he looked calm. There was no security and he just walked straight in," he added.

AFP reported that the man was not known to staff at the nursery.

==========================================================================================
Indiana law is that you cannot carry on school property or to a school event nor can you leave your weapon in your vehicle. If you have a LTC then you can drop off or pick up a student from a school as long as you do not exit your vehicle.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!

Buckaroo

Honu
01-23-09, 11:01
poor children :( prayers with those parents for sure !!!!!

man this stuff is so disturbing

I say bring back town square justice and let him get stoned to death or hung

and sadly does show guns are not the root evil !!!

tjcoker
01-23-09, 16:31
This is the stuff that pisses me off the most and secures in me a renewed vigilance.

I am impressed with the reactions of the adult's to help defend the children.

May God preside over these children's souls in heaven and help the survivors along their recovery.

R1pper
01-23-09, 16:38
Dont know if this is a dupe. But there was another killing VA-Tech.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/192005

When Virginia Tech authorities arrived Wednesday night at a cafe inside the Graduate Life Center, they found a decapitated female victim who had arrived on campus just two weeks ago and a young man they have now charged with killing her.

Authorities, including Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum, outlined some of the gruesome details of Wednesday night's murder on campus at a press conference this morning.

They said Xin Yang, a 22-year-old graduate student from Beijing, arrived Jan. 8 to begin her studies in accounting at the Pamplin College of Business. She lived in the graduate life center.

Haiyang Zhu, 25, a graduate student from China, was charged late Wednesday with first-degree murder and is being held without bond. He is a Ph.D. graduate student majoring in agricultural and applied economics. He began his studies at Virginia Tech at the start of the 2008 fall semester. Tech officials said the victim and suspect knew each other and Yang listed Zhu as an emergency contact.

Flinchum said the two were sitting at a table at the Au Bon Pain cafe in the Graduate Life Center when the disturbance began. There were seven witnesses to the events and two called 911 at 7:06 p.m.

When authorities arrived less than two minutes later, they discovered Yang's dead body, Zhu and a large kitchen knife that they believe is the murder weapon. Zhu did not resist arrest. There is no record of him being called to the attention of Tech or Blacksburg police or the university's threat assessment or CARE team before Wednesday.

Classes were not cancelled today and the graduate life center is open. The windows and glass doors of Au Bon Pain are blocked from the inside and the cafe is closed.

zippygaloo
01-23-09, 17:42
Just out of curiousity, what is the law when it comes to pulling out a gun and shooting a guy who is killing someone other than yourself? Are you going to go to prison for that?

BVickery
01-23-09, 18:12
Honestly depends on the state. Many State's you'd be seen as a hero/good citizen. Other state's (like MA) would portray you as some sort of Vigilante out for blood and a crazed loon.

AirmanAtwood
01-24-09, 00:24
Just out of curiousity, what is the law when it comes to pulling out a gun and shooting a guy who is killing someone other than yourself? Are you going to go to prison for that?

Unfortunately that is a very iffy situation. I will admit, If I saw a man attacking someone then pulls a weapon, I would use lethal force if I saw that there was no other possible outcome. Sometimes that'll get you a murder charge. As long as you feel its justified, do it....just be ready to live with the consequences of your actions.

ETA: By justified I don't mean, "oh shit he pulled out a knife, I need to draw my 1911 and put 2 to center mass". Use the common sense god gave you.

Dr.Doom
01-24-09, 18:10
Im an Education Major at my college. I have talked to a teacher from the Kansas City area and he said he wished he was allowed to carry. I brought it up to one of my professors and she didnt understand. She almost seemed upset I brought it up. "We arent qualified" to carry she said. Some people just dont get it. Even when horrible events like this happen.

B

AirmanAtwood
01-24-09, 19:04
Im an Education Major at my college. I have talked to a teacher from the Kansas City area and he said he wished he was allowed to carry. I brought it up to one of my professors and she didnt understand. She almost seemed upset I brought it up. "We arent qualified" to carry she said. Some people just dont get it. Even when horrible events like this happen.

B

SHE may not be qualified, but there are plenty of others that are.

bkb0000
01-24-09, 19:16

Shoot- just make sure your aim is good and you're sure which one needs to be shot. just because someone's stabbing another person doesn't mean they're the bad guy.

Oregon has a good semaritan law AND a clause that protects you from liability if you're trying to help someone in good faith. i'll pull the ORSs for you, or you can search 'em yourself.

Dr.Doom
01-24-09, 19:18
SHE may not be qualified, but there are plenty of others that are.

Amen, Im not in law enforcement/military, but im taking my first rifle class this April and Im considering putting it on my resume when I look for a teaching job. The class is Urban Tactics 1 from Sully at Defensive Edge, and will cover applying first aide, and getting people out of bad situations. That sounds like a good skill to have in todays schools.

B

bkb0000
01-24-09, 19:31
Amen, Im not in law enforcement/military, but im taking my first rifle class this April and Im considering putting it on my resume when I look for a teaching job. The class is Urban Tactics 1 from Sully at Defensive Edge, and will cover applying first aide, and getting people out of bad situations. That sounds like a good skill to have in todays schools.

B

you do realize that the people who will be interviewing you piss their pants at the very idea of powder propelled projectiles, right?

of all the libs that claim to hate guns, i think teachers are the only ones who actually do

Dr.Doom
01-24-09, 19:37
you do realize that the people who will be interviewing you piss their pants at the very idea of powder propelled projectiles, right?

of all the libs that claim to hate guns, i think teachers are the only ones who actually do

Im going to be a teacher, I love guns. My main two Professors dont hate guns. The teacher I did my prelabs and saw at the Republican Caucus and owns a fire arm doesnt hate guns. Point being, you cant say Teachers hate guns. You can say some teachers hate guns, just like some republicans hate guns, and some hunters hate "assault weapons," and some Democrats respect our God given right to bear arms.

I wouldnt turn down the opportunity to be an advocate for guns and provide a possitive example of a Law abiding gun owner.

B

bkb0000
01-24-09, 20:09
Im going to be a teacher, I love guns. My main two Professors dont hate guns. The teacher I did my prelabs and saw at the Republican Caucus and owns a fire arm doesnt hate guns. Point being, you cant say Teachers hate guns. You can say some teachers hate guns, just like some republicans hate guns, and some hunters hate "assault weapons," and some Democrats respect our God given right to bear arms.

I wouldnt turn down the opportunity to be an advocate for guns and provide a possitive example of a Law abiding gun owner.

B

most teachers are libs, and most libs hate guns, and my point was that OF LIBS, teachers are the only ones that authentically hate guns.

i wouldn't include that in your resume... there's a hundred great reasons not to. school board members don't want you to do something if an armed attacker were to enter your classroom, training or not. their typical liberal perspective is that you'll somehow do less harm by cowering in the corner while your students are picked off one by one.

even if that's not the case, if they think you're a pro-2nd type person they'd be afraid you might tell students that guns aren't to be feared and hated, that they're just tools and not evil. that alone would be plenty to want to keep you away from kids.

IMO, man. but i think it's a good opinion.

Buckaroo
01-24-09, 20:14
We have a RSO who also serves as a match director for IDPA matches at our club who is a teacher in IL (he doesn't live in IL). He is a great guy and I wish he was teaching at my kids school.

Buckaroo

tjcoker
01-24-09, 23:13
Sadly I must admit that I agree with Bkb0000 on this one. My wife and I talk about the viewpoints at her school often... the majority is in line with what Bkb0000 is saying. They let me talk my opinion due to my employment being known but even some of them just talk stuff about my choice of work. The gun thing is a big no no... they even had a problem with a kid who talked about shooting cans in his backyard under his father's care with a BB gun.

Sickening... but it is so prevalent out here atleast.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-25-09, 00:15
Responding would be a bit beyond a Good Samaritan. I've wondered about what happens if you have to be a "White Knight". Something like this with a nut is one thing, something like a Mumbia is another. Try to get on the phone and communicate who and where you are? I assume there is a good chance you'll get popped if you are still having to engage the bad guys.

Any tips on how not to get shot in a White Knight scenario?

Dr.Doom
01-25-09, 15:29
most teachers are libs, and most libs hate guns, and my point was that OF LIBS, teachers are the only ones that authentically hate guns.

i wouldn't include that in your resume... there's a hundred great reasons not to. school board members don't want you to do something if an armed attacker were to enter your classroom, training or not. their typical liberal perspective is that you'll somehow do less harm by cowering in the corner while your students are picked off one by one.

even if that's not the case, if they think you're a pro-2nd type person they'd be afraid you might tell students that guns aren't to be feared and hated, that they're just tools and not evil. that alone would be plenty to want to keep you away from kids.

IMO, man. but i think it's a good opinion.

I appriciate your concern, and the advice. I can still stress the first aid and evacuation skills of the class without bringing up evil guns.

B

tjcoker
01-25-09, 15:48
I appriciate your concern, and the advice. I can still stress the first aid and evacuation skills of the class without bringing up evil guns.

B

Be sure to wear your "I Voted for Barack" T-shirt too. If you don't have one then you might consider buying one before the job interview. ;)

It's good that you want to get into that job. Good people who have a sound head should be teaching the kids... not someone too far off the deepend either way.

Dr.Doom
01-25-09, 15:56
Be sure to wear your "I Voted for Barack" T-shirt too. If you don't have one then you might consider buying one before the job interview. ;)

It's good that you want to get into that job. Good people who have a sound head should be teaching the kids... not someone too far off the deepend either way.

I dont know about no Obama shirt, I think I just wont bring up politics lol. And thanks for the kind words.

B