PDA

View Full Version : Acog Ta01nsn

USMC
06-19-06, 13:27
Can anyone here give me a review of the TA01NSN (Pros/Cons). I'm about ready to buy one but I'm just not sure if it's the right model.

C4IGrant
06-19-06, 14:23
Can anyone here give me a review of the TA01NSN (Pros/Cons). I'm about ready to buy one but I'm just not sure if it's the right model.

The main draw back is that it doesn't offer BAC. This makes it not very effective on moving targets IMHO. The irons on the top of it are also virtually useless.

The upside to the NSN is that you can mount a JPoint, SOCAUTO or Dr Optic on top of it. This will give you speed at close range.

My two favorite ACOG's are the TA31RCO-M4 and the TA31-DOC. If your dead set on the NSN, drop me a line as I might be able to save you some money on one.

C4

TA01NSN w/JPoint
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon%20TA01NSN%20with%20JPoint4.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon%20TA01NSN%20with%20JPoint6.jpg

ShortyB
06-19-06, 15:39
I found the thin cross hair in the center very hard to see against a dark target.
The glass is crystal clear.
I traded mine for a TA13A. The red triangle, not as precise but easier for my eyes to see.

RyanB
06-24-06, 23:25
The BAC ACOGs are much nicer.

tomalibrando
06-27-06, 18:52
Here's my one gripe with duel sights. I was teaching with Bill Jeans some years ago and in the class was a Marine with an ACOG with the iron sights on top. The intent of the irons was a back up as well as a quick reference for close in work. When he was put under pressure, he did not look through the irons, but rather reverted back to the 4 power ACOG at 5 yards. Why? Because he practiced 20000 repititions of putting his cheek in one spot and looking at one particular plane. While I like the ACOG, it is trying to compete with other systems that lend themselves to greater flexability. Can someone shoot as fast with an ACOG at close range? I know of one (who practices a lot). Becareful of items which allow for too many options with reference to sight plane. You may find yourself loosing time trying to decide what to aim with as well as when too shoot.

C4IGrant
06-27-06, 18:54
Here's my one gripe with duel sights. I was teaching with Bill Jeans some years ago and in the class was a Marine with an ACOG with the iron sights on top. The intent of the irons was a back up as well as a quick reference for close in work. When he was put under pressure, he did not look through the irons, but rather reverted back to the 4 power ACOG at 5 yards. Why? Because he practiced 20000 repititions of putting his cheek in one spot and looking at one particular plane. While I like the ACOG, it is trying to compete with other systems that lend themselves to greater flexability. Can someone shoot as fast with an ACOG at close range? I know of one (who practices a lot). Becareful of items which allow for too many options with reference to sight plane. You may find yourself loosing time trying to decide what to aim with as well as when too shoot.

Good point Tom. I was talking to a buddy on team 10 today and he basically said the same thing.

C4

sparrow
06-28-06, 23:28
I've used the NSN model for Service rifle and had no problems making 5s and Vs at 200, 400 and 500m. The contrast between a figure 12 or figure 11 and the cross hairs was not a problem, the real difficulty was distinguishing the 100 and 200m marks so I ended up just using the 100m mark and doing a small correction, the BDC tracks well with a 14.5" barrel and 62 grain IVI, so much so that only minor corrections were needed to score 5s at 500m. It does take a bit of training to not totally f*ck up the hold marks during the rundowns though.:confused: . I had to use the NSN on day two of a Fighting Rifle class when my Eotech went down and it sucked at CQB distances but it was nice at 100m. From a civvy perspective the NSN is great kit, not a professional warrior so my experience is limited to competitive and recreational use and feedback from those clients who actually use the gear for real.

Kisara
07-01-06, 15:13
My first Trijicon was the TA01-NSN. The first time I took it out at night (urban residential area), the whole reticle seemed to blend in against the background of trees, houses, and streetlights. Aiming at vehicles with their headlights on caused the thin line to simply dissappear. And this wasn't with cars driving head-on towards me, but cross traffic in front of me (i.e. 3 to 9 o'clock when I'm sitting at the 6). It was very frustrating; That little portion of yellow in the center of the reticle was simply way too dim. If I was in the desert or forest with nothing around, shooting with just ambient moonlight was ok. For CQB, day or night, it was not the optic to have. At a square range bench with paper, its a good performer.

Other cons were that the iron sights on top were useless. For some reason they are sighted in way off target (every owner I know who's had one experienced this). Also, the green tritium dot on the front post is like a beacon when using NV. And since we all dump the factory mount for a LaRue anyways, we're paying a little more for something we don't need. I made $45 selling my used mount.

The first time I saw through a TA31 (And that was in daylight!), I immediately knew that I had to get a BAC Acog. Luckily, I sold my TA01-NSN for more than I paid. That's one good thing- Acogs hold their value, especially when the war effort causes civilian stock inventory to dry up.

My biggest reccomendation is not which model to get, but to actually shoot with the different reticles and colors, so you can make your own choice as to which one will work best for your requirements. Do not simply look through one at a gun show or store; you need to get to the range. Shoot in the bright sun, at dusk, and at night.

I have some photos looking through my the TA01-NSN, I'll have to find them and post them for you. Good luck!

USMC
07-01-06, 15:18
I haven't heard many people give good reviews of the TA01NSN since I started looking so maybe I'll start looking for a different model!

Dport
07-01-06, 15:44
If you like the concept of the TA01, you might want to look into the TA31DOC.

RyanB
07-14-06, 20:55
For me at least, when standing in the dark and aiming into the light, the TA31 DOC BAC reticle blacks out and looks like a TA01NSN reticle.

KevinB
07-15-06, 06:03
DITTO to Kisara -- I found that the amber tritium "grey's out" under field conditions.

I used one with a DR Optic up top on a KAC mount -- not too bad as it corects some of the deficiencys but definetly not my first choice in an optic.