PDA

View Full Version : The downside of weapon strikes

ToddG
01-23-09, 10:31
Keep your finger off the trigger when pistol whipping a suspect.
http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/whipped.jpg (http://9x19mm.com/toddg/video/whipped.wmv)

Probably NSFW in most places ...

markm
01-23-09, 10:45
So the gun discharged? It's hard to tell.

If so... I'm going to say.... not a good shoot.:eek:

John_Wayne777
01-23-09, 10:55
So the gun discharged? It's hard to tell.

If so... I'm going to say.... not a good shoot.:eek:

Apparently....apparently it discharged right into the cranium of the beatee.

Methinks this happened in one of those nations with a "If you want to make some omelets..." mentality.

markm
01-23-09, 11:08
Apparently....apparently it discharged right into the cranium of the beatee.

It was a little less messy than some pistol head shots/suicide scenes I've seen in the past. SHAME!! The guy looked pretty compliant when the idiot shot him.

ZDL
01-23-09, 13:04
Whoops. 10-8!

UVvis
01-23-09, 13:54
Anyone know the final outcome? Did the guy survive?

ToddG
01-23-09, 13:59
Based on the language and the reference at the beginning to São Paulo (I think), my guess is it happened in República Federativa do Brasil.

The guy definitely got popped. If you look, you can see the blood starting to flow away from his noggin. The cop's reaction (throwing his hands up in the air and you just know he's saying "It just went off!") was the best/worst part.

Sam
01-23-09, 14:12
I saw that video, very interesting.

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine who was a detective (and IPSC class A shooter), was making a gun point arrest on a junkie. The junkie tried to run away and the detective smacked the punk across the chest with the flat side of his Ruger P85. His finger was off the trigger and it didn't make any loud noise. The punk dropped grabbing his chest and the cuffs were slapped on him. My detective friend's P85's plastic grips were in pieces, he said the gun suffered no damage.

R1pper
01-23-09, 15:38
Is it me or did the cop just hve the attitude of "O well'. If the libtards in our country saw this they would flip.

-DM-

No.6
01-23-09, 16:16
Looks to me like the talking heads that were "reporting" it, must have graduated from an US school of journalism (aka editorialism). Must be something in the water these people drink, cause they seem the same throughout the world.

SpartanArms
01-23-09, 16:50
You'd think that they could afford to issue motorcycle cops in Brasil a freaking ASP! Hell, even an old wood PR-24 would have been a better choice than using his service pistol. Brasil or not, I can definitely see some serious ass chewing in that officers future.:D

RogerinTPA
01-23-09, 17:32
I love 3rd world TV. They zoom in on the gray matter and everything...:eek:

Lumpy196
01-23-09, 21:51
Did he do a chamber check before he reholstered?

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-23-09, 23:15
That lady reporter at the end sounded bitchy, and I don't speak portugese. I took the cop to be like it just went off, this is a bad day. Damn press, can't plant a gun on the guy.

They brought an ambulance, not a hearse, so who knows.

I must just be an ugly american, but I thought a Brazilian news cast would be done from some crappy PBS style set. That one was pretty nice.

thopkins22
01-24-09, 07:48
I must just be an ugly american, but I thought a Brazilian news cast would be done from some crappy PBS style set. That one was pretty nice.

Brazil has a rapidly growing economy and some 200 MILLION people. They are way behind us in some ways, and lightyears ahead in others. If their government would stop with the retarded protectionist policies they will take off and leave most of the west in the dirt.

I spent four weeks in Brazil last year and can't wait to go back, definitely one country where I could see myself living happily. I don't know whether they are available to Brazilians or are export only, but I know they have a healthy firearms industry as well.

ToddG
01-24-09, 11:25
Did he do a chamber check before he reholstered?

Best post in the thread.

BackBlast
01-24-09, 12:57
Brazil has a rapidly growing economy and some 200 MILLION people. They are way behind us in some ways, and lightyears ahead in others. If their government would stop with the retarded protectionist policies they will take off and leave most of the west in the dirt.

I spent four weeks in Brazil last year and can't wait to go back, definitely one country where I could see myself living happily. I don't know whether they are available to Brazilians or are export only, but I know they have a healthy firearms industry as well.

I lived in Brasil for a couple of years. Very very restrictive gun laws, I never saw a lawfully owned firearm by a civilian while I lived there. But that doesn't stop the street thugs/criminal types from owning them of course. You could probably say that some of the favelas have better fire power than the police, and I heard of plenty of shootouts and was around one myself. I did live in Rio and the surrounding area for a while, so my sample of Brasil is biased to the violent side I believe.

The police were generally very distrusted by the populace, and it was fairly common talk from those I knew to say that they were as bad as the gangs. That you couldn't be a good man and be a police officer due to the institutionalized corruption, etc. I knew people who left the force when they were trying to better their lives so they could live clean. I personally knew two people that were murdered while I was there, one by the police and the other by a gang. Paints a very dim picture of law enforcement there. Military was a different story from what I gathered, more creme of the crop as it is seen as a desirable profession by many and as a consequence, many good people end up there.

As to the economic side of things, Brasil has a lot of good things going for it. But as par for the course in the 3rd world (and increasingly first world it seems :rolleyes:) - they need major house cleaning on all levels of government. Get some honest brokers in power, some principled statesmen who understand good government and in a generation they could do very well.

At present though, it's not a place I would want to raise a family. At least, definitely not Rio :D I love Brasil in spite of it's short comings...

As to the video. I'm a little rusty, but I believe the 26 year old victim did not die on the scene, he was shot around his left ear and left in critical condition. The news lady afterwords, well, I don't know exactly how to translate some of it but she says a few things like "how could they do this?", expressed some sympathy, and that it makes her feel afraid of the police after watching what happened.

sff70
01-24-09, 16:10
Sounds similar to an incident here.

One of our frequent fliers hit his ex-gf's new bf in the head with a handgun, which of course discharged.

Everyone thought that the bf had been shot in the head, due to all the blood, his mass of longish hair, and the low light conditions.

However, it was just all the blood from being struck with said chunk of metal on his grape.

He got real lucky, considering.

ToddG
01-24-09, 22:22
If you watch through the whole video, it's very clear that there is a lot of blood flowing from this guy's cabeza. I know cuts to the head bleed a lot, but not like that ...

John_Wayne777
01-24-09, 22:31
...when combined with his appearance of being absolutely limp, I'm thinking he was DRT.

The cop in that video dropped 170 pounds....fast.

ToddG
01-24-09, 23:09
The cop in that video dropped 170 pounds....fast.

Dude, that would almost make a great t-shirt! :cool:

Mr.Goodtimes
01-25-09, 00:30
i thought the guy was moving around on the ground?

Gutshot John
01-25-09, 08:04
Do we know if the guy died?

I seem to remember back in the 1980s when all those airliners were getting hijacked in the Middle East that during one incident a female passenger was pushed into an open door and a terrorist using what I seem to recall was a .44 put a gun to the back of her head and pulled the trigger.

She dropped to the tarmac and the coroners truck picked up the body. On the way to the morgue she started to stir and so they took her to the hospital.

Turns out that the BG put the barrel right against the thickest part of the skull. the bullet creased around her skull, tearing open her scalp to the forehead but did not penetrate the cranium. She had some brain damage but she lived even though she looked dead.

Like Todd said, head cuts bleed a lot. In my experience (and I've seen several gunshot wounds to the head) that if the bullet doesn't exit the skull, the tamponade effect usually means there is less visible blood. Scalp lacerations bleed a lot worse.

ToddG
01-25-09, 10:18
Unless someone here speaks Portuguese, I don't know how to find out if the guy lived. He appears to be moving at least a little early on. By the end of the video, though, there is literally a river of blood pouring out of his head.

Nathan_Bell
01-25-09, 13:11
Unfamiliar with the policies of Brazil, but if a US based policeman did that he would more than likely end up doing time. Definately would be working to find a new career.
Even with just an ND they would be looking at a good amount of admin suspension and possibly more.

BackBlast
01-25-09, 22:56
Unless someone here speaks Portuguese, I don't know how to find out if the guy lived. He appears to be moving at least a little early on. By the end of the video, though, there is literally a river of blood pouring out of his head.

Few more details for you.. (more I listen the more I understand :D)

It was a .40, took off a chunk of the back of his head by his left ear. Was in critical condition at the time of the report.

Even towards the latter end of the video (1:22-1:24) you can see him moving his arm. Definitely did not die at the scene.

tpd223
01-27-09, 23:30
Smacking people with your pistol is just plain stupid unless you have used up all your ammo and have nothing else left.

I've seen several handguns disabled by smacking people in the head, and breaking your duty weapon at the start of a fight isn't a good way to win.

I talk to several Brazilian copper on line, they complain about lack of support from both the public and lawmakers, lack of ammo, lack of decent guns, lack of training, lack of body armor, etc.