PDA

View Full Version : 124gr FMJ Fragments

Chris Sanchez
01-23-09, 17:02
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/USP9/Hornady124gr-FMJ-RN-Enc35577.jpg

Hornady 124gr FMJ-RN-Enc (product no 35577)
7.0gr 3N37 COL=1.140-inches
Winchester Brass
Magtech Primers

Platform Used: H&K USP9 Standard (4.25-inch polygonal rifling)

I fired at 1-gal PET-1 jugs with 6-inches in diameter. Recovered on fifth jug (equivalent of more than 16-inches in calibrated gelatin), and some fragments exited diagonally sideways on the fourth jug and never recovered.

This "performance" may be a good alternative to those agencies working under the Hague Accords. Please confirm if my test matches or contradicts your own test using the load listed above. Thanks in advance.

hatt
01-23-09, 17:42
It doesn't look like that mess would penetrate much at all.

Chris Sanchez
01-26-09, 04:34
Before the test, I really dont expect this result to happen. My intention is for the bullet to stay in one piece. What I intend at the time was to know how many jugs will this FMJ penetrate (I expect it will perforate all six 6-inch jugs used in this test).

Looking closely at the Hornady website, the bullet was designed with pure lead core so as to have a better balance. My understanding is that this bullet was designed with accuracy as priority, not penetration against M-1 helmets.

I also observed that the jacket is unusually thinner than ones found on 115gr/124gr/147gr XTP's and 147gr Winchester JHP's (used on the so-called "white-box") I also tested.

Forumates, feel free to affirm or criticize my test. I really need to know if my test will be consistent to others.