PDA

View Full Version : Some new precision rifles from Savage Arms

maximus83
01-24-09, 13:31
I was just browsing the Savage Arms site, and noticed they have some interesting new options for their "Law Enforcement" line of precision rifles.

1. The 10BAS LE Rifle. (http://www.savagearms.com/BreakingNews121908-4.htm) They call it a "modular sniper system", and it has a aluminum chassis that allows standard AR-type buttstocks and pistol grips to be attached. It also has what they call their new "3-dimensional bedding system", which is supposed to dramatically improve accuracy. Also comes with a 10rd magazine. Can't wait to see one of these up close.

2. The Accustock (http://www.savagearms.com/BreakingNews121908-3.htm). This is a new and improved type of stock that includes their "3-dimensional bedding" system. They are adding this stock offering to their line of Model 10/110 LE rifles. The 2 rifles that will offer it include the 10FCP, and the new 10 Precision Carbine, which has a 20" barrel and is lighter. Both come with detachable mags, a new thing for Savage LE rifles.

Added* Sorry, I should have made clear I don't work for Savage and have no connection with them. I do own one of their rifles though, and thought these new offerings looked interesting.

Nathan_Bell
01-24-09, 18:25
Interesting, Savages are great bang for the buck for an accurate rifle. If they can keep these new offerings priced low enough they will have no problems getting them out the doors.

DMR
01-26-09, 11:17
I'm a Savage user, but prefer a more traditional stock then th 10BAS LE Rifle. I would be interested in seeing the 10 round mag on the HS or McMillian Stock though. Any ideal what mag they are using? Some of the smiths I have worked with don't like the older Savage DBM designs. Right now I'm triing to decide if it's worth the $500 to have a V-Bull bottom put on my .300 WM 110L build so I can use AI mags.

Suppose I need to keep a look out for a 10FLCP.

carbinero
02-08-09, 23:31
Unfortunately the website no longer shows the Youth .308 with iron sights.

gishooter
02-09-09, 00:06
removed, changed

SoDak
02-09-09, 18:34
Unfortunately the website no longer shows the Youth .308 with iron sights.

Did they also discontinue the scout?

DMR
02-09-09, 19:31
No they still list them. Just moved them to the LE line:

Specialty Series Rifle/Shotguns
10FCM Scout Rifle – with AccuTrigger™ and AccuStock™

http://www.savagearms.com/10fcmscout.htm

Mikey
02-09-09, 21:24
I wonder if the new stocks will be compatible with the older actions. I'd like to have my model 10 to have detachable mags.

SoDak
02-09-09, 21:37
No they still list them. Just moved them to the LE line:

Specialty Series Rifle/Shotguns
10FCM Scout Rifle – with AccuTrigger™ and AccuStock™

http://www.savagearms.com/10fcmscout.htm

I didn't think to look there. Glad they still make them, although I wish they would put better irons on them(I have a scout and hate the sights it comes with).

maximus83
02-11-09, 23:40
I didn't think to look there. Glad they still make them, although I wish they would put better irons on them(I have a scout and hate the sights it comes with).

I've always been curious about the Scouts. Can you get some kind of aftermarket sight to replace them? I think Williams makes a sight that will fit on the Savage 10, and maybe XS Sights do as well.

SoDak
02-15-09, 20:29
The scout uses a williams aperture rear sight. I don't really like it because to adjust it, you have to loosen a screw, move the sight, then retighten said screw. I would have preferred a sight with click adjustments. The front sight is a bead and I would prefer a post. The best solution would be to just forget about the irons and stick an aimpoint(a magnified one would be nice) or a scout scope.

maximus83
02-16-09, 10:50
Can you mount a scope with the irons in place?

SoDak
02-16-09, 22:04
Yep. At one point I had mounted an aimpoint on it, although I never fire the gun with it on it. Even with the low ring the aimpoint still sits up high enough that the irons don't get in the way of the aimpoint. If I can find another good cheap red dot(maybe a burris XTS-135 or an aimpoint on sale), I want to mount that on it. A low power scope woud probably be better, except for I really like the idea of being able to use the gun in low light situations and a red dot makes that easier.

Buck_L
02-28-09, 08:06
Tossed up between a left-handed Savage Scout and the new Precision Carbine (also shown on their LE web page), I opted for the carbine (in left hand, of course). The barrel is slightly heavier taper than a pure sporter barrel, but definitely not the heavy bull barrel on their other LE guns that will doubtless live on bipods. The Precision Carbine weighs 7 pounds without optics or sling, and comes with the AccuStock. I should have it in about six weeks,

Will probably order a LH Savage Scout later this year. :-)

http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/lawenf/10precarb.jpg

Dave L.
02-28-09, 12:53
Tossed up between a left-handed Savage Scout and the new Precision Carbine (also shown on their LE web page), I opted for the carbine (in left hand, of course). The barrel is slightly heavier taper than a pure sporter barrel, but definitely not the heavy bull barrel on their other LE guns that will doubtless live on bipods. The Precision Carbine weighs 7 pounds without optics or sling, and comes with the AccuStock. I should have it in about six weeks,

Will probably order a LH Savage Scout later this year. :-)

Welcome to the site! You forgot pictures:(

bpd315
02-28-09, 15:35
I tried the demo for the Accutrigger at my local shop. I was impressed. So much so i'd consider buying a rifle with one. Man, talk about a model of a gun that saved a company................

Buck_L
03-01-09, 08:58
Welcome to the site! You forgot pictures:(

Dave, thanks for the welcome. I added the only picture to which I have access yet, the one from the 2009 Savage catalog.

LonghunterCO
03-01-09, 16:58
http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/lawenf/10precarb.jpg

That looks nice. What are your dealers charging for them?

Buck_L
03-01-09, 17:09
Retail on the right-handed Precision Carbine is $829. Because I'm getting one made up with a left hand action and a black AccuStock, as well as an additional stud for the Ching sling swivel just in front of the mag well, it'll be about $900. Haven't seen a one in stock yet.

I was tempted to buy a Model 14 American Classic in .308 (where left hand action isn't a custom option, it's just a variant), but decided to go with the Precision Carbine for a couple of reasons. First, Savage guarantees all their LE guns to shoot 1 MOA or better, and 1.5 MOA or better on their sporters. Second, the nice wood they're putting on the Classics is just too pretty to be getting banged around in Randy Cain's Practical Rifle class, or a Gunsite 270. Seven pounds for the carbine is slightly heavier than I'd really want, but most things are compromises to some degree, and I thought the trade off was worth it.

Still the Classic, pictured below in wrong hand configuration, is a nice looking rifle. It would make a nice hunting gun.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/centerfire/classic/114_AmericanClassic.jpg

cbsweeney
03-02-09, 09:14
I bought a Savage Weather Warrior in .308 2 years ago. It has the accu-trigger, stainless, and a synthetic stock. $510. It's a great deer rifle, accurate, and light. I've gotten 3/4" groups at 100 yds. with good hunting ammo with it, so, for the money, it's as accurate as i'm ever gonna need. The biggest problem I have with it is the stock. I think it's a little flimsy. I toyed with the idea of getting an after market stock with the full length bedding block, or a laminated stock, and glass bed it. For right now, it ain't broke, so why fix it?