PDA

View Full Version : First Field Test For New AR Guy

tex45acp
01-24-09, 20:10
New AR Guy here and I finally got my new and first AR, a M4 Bushmaster Carbine with A1 top end out to the range today. I was very concerned about a few things I had read here and some of the great information as well. First I disassembled and cleaned the gun. Though the Gas Key cap screws had very light staking, I went ahead and enlarged them a bit more like some of the pictures I have seen in this forum. I also staked the unstaked castle nut. I relubricated the parts, per the manual and reassembled. Now came the test......I was concerned because the rear sight had been cranked to the far left, so I went ahead and ceneterd it and started shooting. 30 rounds or Remington 45gr. JHP, 10 rounds at each target. At 25 yards the bullet holes were about 1.5" high, dead on at 50 yards and about 1.5" low at 100 yards. The groups were tight and repeatable and I found out that I do truly like this gun. I dont think I am going to do anything to it. I am leaving it alone with the exception of getting a few more 30 round mags. Thanks for all the great information you folks put on here. Here are a few pics of the gun, sorry none of the targets.

tex45acp

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/BUSHAR15L.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/BUSHAR15R.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/BUSHMODEL.jpg

bkb0000
01-24-09, 20:17
:) welcome. this is the place, man. we'll get you on the path of M4 righteousness. you gonna do some upgrades?

tex45acp
01-24-09, 20:20
:) welcome. this is the place, man. we'll get you on the path of M4 righteousness. you gonna do some upgrades?

Thanks bkb,

I dont have any upgrade plans at this time. I do however need to paint that front post another color. I find myself getting it mixed up with the ears on either side.

tex45acp

SeriousStudent
01-24-09, 22:23
Welcome aboard. There are some very good folks here, with a lot of knowledge to share. The sticky posts are a virtual gold mine, as you seem to have discovered.

And it's great to have another shooter here in Texas. :)

cobra90gt
01-24-09, 22:40
...getting a few more 30 round mags...

Get some Magpul Pmags and you'll be all set... :D

Iraqgunz
01-25-09, 02:33
Since your castle nut isn't staked, I would check it for tightness and stake it. Also, check your bolt carrier key screws and do the same. You may want to consider a better sling as well. I can tell you 2 good horror stories about crappy slings.

2005 while conducting maritime operations in the Northern Arabian Gulf, el cheapo military sling comes loose and M4 sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

2008 in Iraq while TCN guard is climbing up into guard tower sling on his AR M1 rifle breaks, weapon hits the concrete and destroys front sight block.

Both incidents would have been prevented had a good sling been installed on the weapons.

mark5pt56
01-25-09, 07:48
Since your castle nut isn't staked, I would check it for tightness and stake it. Also, check your bolt carrier key screws and do the same. You may want to consider a better sling as well. I can tell you 2 good horror stories about crappy slings.

2005 while conducting maritime operations in the Northern Arabian Gulf, el cheapo military sling comes loose and M4 sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

2008 in Iraq while TCN guard is climbing up into guard tower sling on his AR M1 rifle breaks, weapon hits the concrete and destroys front sight block.

Both incidents would have been prevented had a good sling been installed on the weapons.

Those slings should be run through the triglide(buckle) twice.

mark5pt56
01-25-09, 07:54
Thanks bkb,

I dont have any upgrade plans at this time. I do however need to paint that front post another color. I find myself getting it mixed up with the ears on either side.

tex45acp

Maybe try a fiber optic post if your eyes are having a hard time focusing on the post?

I would take some time to just shoot the weapon, get to know it well, maintaining it, etc.

Sling wise, get the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS sling with a Colt side sling adapter or the BFG wire sling loop. Just attach the back end to the stock(there's a slot for it/horizontal towards the rear)

Leave it be for some time then research how you want a light attachment and if you want a red dot, look at either one on the carry handle since you already have the rail or a cantilevered version. If going with a forend rail (Daniel Defense Omega) you can mount the dot on it.

Enjoy and congrats!

Ref the sling--for the time being, get some 550 cord, and loop it around the angled portion of the front sight(don't let it touch the barrel!). Do that to lengthen the sling length and attach the back end of the stock sling to the stock as described for the Vickers sling. This will give you a poor man's wait until I get the Vickers make do sling. On the stock sling or any sling buckle-once you run the sling strap through the buckle-take the end and run it over top of the buckle and back through the buckle-it will never loosen. If you need a pic, I can try to get on-just remind me.

Mark

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79
http://www.blueforcegear.com/openBig1.cfm?prod_id=79
http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=81
http://www.blueforcegear.com/pdf/INSTRUCTIONS_VICKERS_SLING.pdf

Iraqgunz
01-28-09, 07:21
In case number 1, I wasn't on scene so I can't say what did or didn't happen. I just know that climbing cargo nets and caving ladders with a weapon across your back can be a pain in the ass. However, in this case they were also issued a 3 point type sling to use, but someone was too lazy to put it on.

In case number 2, the weapon in question was an AK47 derivative in 5.56 (Arsenal AR M1 rifle) and it was issued with the piece of shit east bloc green canvas and leather type sling. The leather broke and the weapon crashed down to earth.

The bottom line is don't buy a piece of shit sling if you care about your weapon. Spend the extra few dollars on a sling that is functional and will stay secure.

Those slings should be run through the triglide(buckle) twice.

mark5pt56
01-28-09, 08:03
In case number 1, I wasn't on scene so I can't say what did or didn't happen. I just know that climbing cargo nets and caving ladders with a weapon across your back can be a pain in the ass. However, in this case they were also issued a 3 point type sling to use, but someone was too lazy to put it on.

In case number 2, the weapon in question was an AK47 derivative in 5.56 (Arsenal AR M1 rifle) and it was issued with the piece of shit east bloc green canvas and leather type sling. The leather broke and the weapon crashed down to earth.

The bottom line is don't buy a piece of shit sling if you care about your weapon. Spend the extra few dollars on a sling that is functional and will stay secure.

yup, climbing in the open is one thing, when it starts hitting stuff otherwise is a different story

Stickman
01-28-09, 11:18

Some guys get stuck on that for some reason. Any of the courses show real quick why the basic slings suck hard. For real world use, I still have a good chunk of people who don't throw the sling on..... :rolleyes: