PDA

View Full Version : Handgun CCW holsters

USMGoldenEagle
01-24-09, 20:19
Just curious what CCW holsters you guys were using for your handguns. I have been considering a new IWB. I really want to be able to tuck my shirt in if needed and saw the Galco U.S.A., Galco U.D.C., and the Supertuck by Crossbreed holsters. Any of you have one of these by any chance? Any recommendations?

MMG
01-24-09, 21:44
I have learned to either untuck my shirt or wear a concealing garment over a tucked in shirt, like a sport coat or some such so, I can't help you in that regard.

What I can say is that all of my IWB holsters are Milt Sparks VM-2s and are most comfortable for me with a full size handgun (rides down my hip without digging into it). OWB is even more comfortable with a compact and for OWB, it's Mitch Rosen.

I've probably not helped at all.:confused:

Gutshot John
01-24-09, 21:53
For CCW I'm partial to the Blackhawk Askins holster. Works great with my G19 or my G34. Very comfortable and offers great concealment. Pulls the gun very close to the body and if you're a big guy doesn't print.

That said it sucks for anything else. Like other slide holsters a hot barrel can be a bit uncomfortable if you're on the range shooting. It isn't exactly a quick holster either.

ToddG
01-24-09, 22:31
If I have to tuck and cannot wear a cover garment over it, I either use a fanny pack or a pocket holster (the latter with an appropriate sized mouse gun).

For daily carry, I use a CCC Looper in the appendix position.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/aiwblooper.jpg

xray 99
01-25-09, 09:39
I like the Milt Sparks Executive Companion. The flange makes it the most comfortable IWB for me.

John_Wayne777
01-25-09, 10:17
You might want to check out Raven Concelament's holsters. Their holsters can be configured with a number of different types of hardware that will allow various modes of carry, including tuckable loops.

apxpred
01-25-09, 10:48
I have a crossbreed, not the supertuck though. Great holster, comfortable & hides a G21 pretty dang good.

BlueForce
01-25-09, 10:54
If you choose an IWB, make sure you get something that allows re-holstering, which is essentially none of the leather IWB holsters I've tried in the last -- oh, thirty some years. (I believe some do have metal reinforcement around the opening and that would probably do the job. Extra thicknesses of leather are not adequate.) Otherwise, if you have your belt tight enough to hold your rig in place securely, as soon as you draw, the holster collapses and now you have a gun in your hand you have no way to get rid of. If you have to perform some other task or need to return to a concealed condition you are out of luck without using both hands and a lot of obvious groping to get it back in. (If you have to handcuff a suspect this is a bad thing. Sticking it under your armpit or asking them to hold it for you are not good options...)

I like the Blade-Tech IWBs because re-holstering is as smooth as drawing. And you get a good click to let you know it's home. And it doesn't matter how stiff or tight a belt you wear.

Also, be advised some outside the waistband holsters have this same problem. Pancakes, belts slides, etc. Anything that has loops on either side of a symmetrical "pouch" is suspect. The Blackhawk Sherpa CQC couldn't be better for re-holstering in an outside the waistband holster.

In my opinion a good defensive holster provides for both drawing and re-holstering equally well. And there is a tactical need to do both quickly and easily in the real world. There are holsters that do this. I would avoid the rest.

ToddG
01-25-09, 11:40
Every leather IWB holster I've ever used maintained its shape for reholstering. Some use extra leather, some kydex, and some metal (worst option imo). It's true that cheap leather IWB's may not be designed for this, but any decent one will be.

BlueForce
01-25-09, 12:14
I've bought a number of expensive IWB leather holsters from major makers and none would allow reliable one handed re-holstering for me. And the longer the gun has been out of the holster, the more likely it is that it won't make it back in. Especially with rigorous movement.

That's the tricky thing about requirements -- there's lots of variability in the physical world and one person's experience can't be applied to all. If enough pressure is being applied by the belt on the holster, the resistance will be overcome and it will collapse. I would suspect that Todd's build and personal clothing preferences allow leather to work OK for him as it would others. But Kydex has a much great modulus of elasticity than leather does. So I think Kydex would be a safer bet -- since buying a holster is a gamble at best anyway.

Holsters obviously are subject to a lot of personal scrutiny -- which is why there are so many of them. Only the user can decide if they meet their approval or not. But my bottom line advice is make sure it works for re-holstering -- whether it is made from leather, plastic, or wood -- because I believe it is an important and typically overlooked consideration.

Jack_Stroker
01-25-09, 13:02
I've been using a Galco IWB for some time with my 1911 and previously a Springfield XD-45. They both worked fairly well but for the 1911 the weight made the holster cant sometimes unless my belt was almost uncomfortably tight. The Milt-Sparks VM II I think is the best option out there but the wait time on them is insane. The wait time is probably worth it, but they aren't taking orders right now. Beyond that you'd need an interim solution until your VMII arrives.

I recently ordered a Comp-Tac C-Tac holster for my 1911 which has been my daily carry for over a year now. Sometimes I carry a Springfield XD, but I recently bought a Glock 23 as a carry option. I'm still shopping for a holster for that, but the Comp-Tac M-Tac seems like a good option for me. Though again a VM II would be ideal. I prefer leather to Kydex or other materials.

Amp Mangum
01-25-09, 13:07
I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Very comfortable and rock solid.

BlueForce
01-25-09, 13:33
the weight made the holster cant sometimes unless my belt was almost uncomfortably tight.

That's the issue with me on IWBs. I like my holster to stay exactly where I put it, no matter what. Like it was bolted to steel. And I don't like my pants sliding down into gang banger mode. You constantly have to be working on both with an IWB. But they do conceal well.

By the way, belts matter in all this. Dramatically. I like the stiffest, hardest one I can find in 1 1/2 inch width. For me the perfect belt can not be deformed edge to edge by any amount of hand strength. And the length needs to be infinitely adjustable, not just inch spaced holes. I find the Wilderness Instructor CSMs are the best for me. A good belt will make any holster better.

I would be interested in hearing what people don't like about Kydex? Seems to answer a lot of problems. I know some people are concerned about finish wear. I guess I just don't care. To me tactical weapons are tools, not works of art. If I wear them out I'll just buy more. If they look like crap then that means I've done my homework.

ToddG
01-25-09, 17:19
I can't say I don't like kydex since I carry in a kydex holster every day. However, it definitely has some costs. First and foremost, it's much more brittle than leather. While plenty of people have quality leather holsters which have lasted decades, most folks look at kydex as something that they know will break eventually. This is especially true if you're going to expect the holster to survive any kind of retention/DT training (or a real fight over the gun).

Some people say it's worse for the finish of the gun. Bleh. Maybe, maybe not. The solution to that is (1) get a better finish and (2) stop being a girl. It's a tool, not a museum exhibit.

Some people dislike the "click" it makes when drawing and holstering. Bleh. I'm not worried about having to go ninja on someone. Stealth drawing my gun in a silent room is not likely to be a situation forced upon me in my life.

Many people feel it's less comfortable, especially for IWB use. I don't have that problem, but I always have a t-shirt or undershirt between my body and my gun. For folks who have it against their skin all day, it can be -- again, for some people -- less comfortable than leather.

Kydex isn't nearly as nice to look at. See "don't be a girl," above.

As for the comments about IWB, again I'd just have to say that my experience has been the exact opposite. I find it more comfortable and more secure. My holster is not locked in place "like it was bolted to steel" yet I still manage a reasonably fast draw. The little bit of freedom it has to move around adds to the comfort. Just a YMMV thing, I guess. Ditto with pulling my pants down. Not a problem I've had.

apxpred
01-25-09, 17:46
As far as the pants getting pulled down, I've become quite aware of this problem as I have next to no butt. I have integrated the use of clip on suspenders as part of my daily dress. Just a little tension goes a long way, just part of dressing around your weapon for me.

CLHC
01-25-09, 17:57
This is what I CCW:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/GnG.jpg

BlueForce
01-25-09, 18:11
As far as the pants getting pulled down, I've become quite aware of this problem as I have next to no butt. I have integrated the use of clip on suspenders as part of my daily dress. Just a little tension goes a long way, just part of dressing around your weapon for me.

I think body shape has a lot to do with this. I am pretty parallel up and down through the midsection, so I have to crank my belt down to develop enough friction to keep everything where it ought to be. Which is always a temporary state. This all seems to get better with outside the waistband carry for me. Of course all this depends on the gun. A 40 ounce 1911 and a 25 ounce plastic framed pistol are quite different animals.

apxpred
01-25-09, 18:34
I think body shape has a lot to do with this. I am pretty parallel up and down through the midsection, so I have to crank my belt down to develop enough friction to keep everything where it ought to be. Which is always a temporary state. This all seems to get better with outside the waistband carry for me. Of course all this depends on the gun. A 40 ounce 1911 and a 25 ounce plastic framed pistol are quite different animals.

Agreed, the cranking down to keep things where it should be gets to me after awhile. The suspenders alow me to stay comfortable all day. As well the mid 40's have taken a toll on the whole mid section being parallel anymore :p

Blake
01-25-09, 19:17
I thought leather was the only way to go before. I still love leather for IWB, but I have a raven holster that is excellent as well. I will echo what Todd G says, the CCC looper is a pretty darn good holster. I bought one used with the thought of trying it out. I was shocked at how comfortable it was. I'm not sure if it will be an everyday holster for me or not, but it is definitely worth taking a look at. Take at Look at Andrew's Leather as well. Great holsters.

MeanRider
01-25-09, 19:22
+ 1 for Milt Spark Versa max. But at least 6 month backorder, well worth the wait

Cruncher Block
01-25-09, 19:32
Comp-Tac Infidel with leather loops for IWB. I've found it very comfortable and practical.

For belt carry, I use an Aker "Flatsider" thumbbreak that has served exceptionally well for years. I've also used a regular ol' Galco thumbbreak pancake that was great.

I've tried a variety of things for tucked carry. Nothing has been satisfactory. Most "tuckables" I've tried create a Glock 19-sized bulge that makes me look like I have a hip deformity. Anything with external belt clips is noticeable or requires so much shirt blousing that it defeats the purpose. Also, chances are if I'm going tucked, I'm wearing something that would make a wide gun-worthy belt look out of place.

When I insist on both carrying and going tucked, I use a bellyband. I hate it (uncomfortable, slow, no reholstering) but it works better than any "tuckable" holster I've found so far.

randyman_ar
01-25-09, 20:27
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

I carry a Kimber CDP PRO in a DC Special IWB I got from Eric. Stays put, can re-holster with one hand and I don't even know its there.
FWIW Dad has a tuckable, (supertuck I think) says its NOT worth the hassle.

MMG
01-25-09, 20:38
+ 1 for Milt Spark Versa max. But at least 6 month backorder, well worth the wait

TopGunSupply often has them. So does LightningArms Sports. All are seriously good people to deal with too.

jtb0311
01-25-09, 21:31
I've had great luck with a Kramer IWB for a 1911. It's leather, but it's rigid and doesn't collapse when empty.

bundoc
01-25-09, 23:13
I have been carrying a 228 in a M.T.A.C for 4 months now and has been working well. You get the comfort of leather and the retention of kydex. Just find what works best for you.

Limey-
01-26-09, 01:11
Comp-tac CTAC for the Glocks or Delfatti ISP WR for the 1911's.
I have j-frame iwb by Delfatti, and a Mika pocket holster for the same.
Alessi OWB and Rosen OWB also get some use.

DocGKR
01-26-09, 02:04
I generally carry either a 5" 1911 or a G19:

For IWB I prefer the Milt Sparks Heritage #1 followed by the Custom Carry Concepts Looper; if I have a light on the pistol, then the IWB Raven Concealment Systems Phantom is the best option I've found. (I also like the Alessi and Kramer IWB holsters)

For concealed belt carry, I like the Alessi/Heinie DOJ, followed by the Cendex SD Taylor (or similar kydex holster); if I have a light on the pistol, the OWB Raven Concealment Systems Phantom is again the way to go. (I also like the Milt Sparks 55BN-A, Safariland 6377, and the old Safariland 540)

For duty use, I run a modified high-ride Safariland 6004 type holster.

mattpittinger
01-26-09, 11:29
I generally carry a Kimber Pro Carry. I use a Blade Tech IWD mostly year yound, it seems to work fine no matter what I am wearing.

tex45acp
01-26-09, 12:46
With the exception of my Kel-Tec PF-9, that I carry in a Galco Pocket holster,
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/PF9_PocketHolster.jpg

I carry everything else IWB,

Wilson Combat Professional in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/1911CarryRig.jpg

Springfield XD-45 Service in a Brommeland Max Con V
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/MCVSET.jpg

Browning Hi Power in a Wilson Combat IWB Holster
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/WilsonHolster.jpg

CZ75B in a Tucker Gunleather Heritage Model
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/CZTUCKER.jpg

Tangy
01-27-09, 04:13
any recommendations on an IWB or CCW holster for a glock 19 with the x400?

woodandsteel
01-27-09, 04:50
My wife and I both used to use this Don Hume Holster. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35

It is relatively inexpensive and very comfortable. I lost mine when our station got flooded, and haven't replaced it yet. Right now I am using a Comp-Tac MTac holster for my Glock. I don't have any bad issues with the MTac. I just wish I would have saved my money and went with Don Hume again.

gunner757
01-27-09, 13:46
I am a huge fan of the galco summer comfort and have been carrying my 1911 and my sigs with that holster for some time. I have zero issues with reholstering, and the draw is fairly quick. It is also the most comfortable IWB holster i have used, and the leather has tested the course of time.

USMGoldenEagle
01-27-09, 20:39
The Don Hume IWB Strike looks interesting....

Azrael2004
01-27-09, 22:16
I have a "stocky" build and a case of noassatall, so I've tried quite a lot of rigs over the years in both leather and Kydex.
I finally came upon the Comp-Tac C-Tac holster and couldn't be happier.
I carry a full size 1911 in it, with a tucked T-Shirt and an unbuttoned 'cover' shirt over it to prevent printing.
I have been carrying a Springfield for a couple years, but I just bought a Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II over the weekend. What a big difference the aluminum frame makes in comfort due to the reduced weight!
For belts I use a Gall's 1 3/4" dress gun belt, and just added a 5.11 Operator belt for casual wear.
I run the Comp-Tac V clips on mine and have the corresponding Velcro on the inside of each belt.
The whole thing just disappears with no clips over the belt. And the velcro ensures it stays put without shifting.
Until they have a cure for noassatall I will have to pull up the pants on occasion, but I don't just grab the gun side when I pull them up.
The 5.11 Operator belt seems a bit better so far since it's not locked into set adjustment holes like the leather belt.

MMG
01-27-09, 22:26
Until they have a cure for noassatall I will have to pull up the pants on occasion, but I don't just grab the gun side when I pull them up.

Oh there's definitely cure. It's called aging:o.

tpd223
01-27-09, 23:06
I use both a Galco and Blade Tech IWB for most of my carry, I'm also using one of the Safariland ALS concealment holsters alot lately, mostly at work where I have a much higher possibility of needing to go hands on with someone.
It's less concealable than an IWB, but much more secure in a fight. Fast as hell on the draw, and easy to reholster too.

tex45acp
01-28-09, 06:50
Oh there's definitely cure. It's called aging:o.

and the cure is called suspenders. They work great to keep everything at the proper position......or so I am told!!!!:p

HowardCohodas
01-28-09, 09:59
and the cure is called suspenders. They work great to keep everything at the proper position......or so I am told!!!!:p

And make a heck of a fashion statement.

Abraxas
01-28-09, 10:12
Just curious what CCW holsters you guys were using for your handguns. I have been considering a new IWB. I really want to be able to tuck my shirt in if needed and saw the Galco U.S.A., Galco U.D.C., and the Supertuck by Crossbreed holsters. Any of you have one of these by any chance? Any recommendations?

Personally I use and like the Milt Sparks VMII. But if you are curious about the Crossbreed Supertuck, ask Spade he has one for his XD.

Longhorn
01-28-09, 23:27
What about the Galco Skyops holster?

I have no personal experience with this holster, just making a rec based on your tuckable need.

http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/SKYOPSOV-1-5-4.jpg

Abraxas
01-29-09, 10:48
What about the Galco Skyops holster?

I have no personal experience with this holster, just making a rec based on your tuckable need.

http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/SKYOPSOV-1-5-4.jpg

I thought about these myself. Then I talked to a guy that said that the clip that goes on your belt was plastic and his had broke on him after only a week. Mind you I have no personal experience it is simply what someone told me, claiming that it was first hand experience.

four
01-29-09, 13:43
If tucking is important I will say that the Vclips from Comp-tac are hard to beat.

I wear a C-Tac stuffed full of Sig P226 and the C-tac tucks better than the VM-2 just because the clips are so deep. I can put it under a sufficiently sized polo, and it completely disappears under a button down dress shirt. The Velcro clips are next to invisible as well.

That's with the caveat that it's not a forever holster. My 6 year Ctac has recently developed a crack in the body.

jmh21586
01-29-09, 14:54
I'm 6' 310lbs. What do you guys recomend for a holster for us "husky" guys?:D

I have a fobus paddle holster, but I might as well wear a sign that says I have a gun.

I have found that just sticking my pistol in the inside of my waisteband doesn't print at all and is 100% comfortable for me. And it stays put as well. But I've never done this out in public, just around the house.
Is this an acceptable way of carrying a gun?? I'm thinking not.

What are holster options for us big guys. It gets pretty expensive to just buy holsters at $50+ a pop until you find the right one.

ADDED: I have a beretta storm and glock 22 for cc.

woodandsteel
01-29-09, 15:39
I'm 6' 310lbs. What do you guys recomend for a holster for us "husky" guys?:D

I have a fobus paddle holster, but I might as well wear a sign that says I have a gun.

I have found that just sticking my pistol in the inside of my waisteband doesn't print at all and is 100% comfortable for me. And it stays put as well. But I've never done this out in public, just around the house.

What are holster options for us big guys. It gets pretty expensive to just buy holsters at $50+ a pop until you find the right one.

ADDED: I have a beretta storm and glock 22 for cc.

If I were you I would go with the Comp-Tac MTac holster. Earlier in this thread I recomended the Don Hum over the MTac. But, I will admit, the MTac causes less printing than the Don Hume.

Here's a link for the Comp-Tac
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=la9la7kho3uktvduv4hd0q3sb2

HowardCohodas
01-29-09, 16:05

I sometimes carry IWB without a holster particularly while driving. I have installed a ClipDraw Universal for retention. http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=395&action=show_detail

M&P 45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Universal ClipDraw.
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/HowardCohodas/Gun%20Stuff/MP45wCrimsonTrace.jpg

Jack_Stroker
01-29-09, 16:29
If I were you I would go with the Comp-Tac MTac holster. Earlier in this thread I recomended the Don Hum over the MTac. But, I will admit, the MTac causes less printing than the Don Hume.

Here's a link for the Comp-Tac
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=la9la7kho3uktvduv4hd0q3sb2

I don't care for the Don Hume. The quality is there but the problem is that I need the holster to cant otherwise it is not only uncomfortable to wear the gun, but it prints like hell. I also don't care for the clip that many of the Don Hume holsters use.

woodandsteel
01-29-09, 16:40
I will agree with you that it is a very utilitarian design. You do need to be careful with how you dress while carrying it.

MX5
01-29-09, 16:56
My 30+ yrs. of CCW started with leather, continued with kydex then came full circle back to leather. For the last several yrs. I've been wearing a Sparks SSII IWB. It allows ease of reholstering with 1 hand & grips the weapon more securely than kydex when going force-on-force. I was very disappointed with kydex when it came to gun grappling.

Alpha Sierra
01-29-09, 19:43
If you choose an IWB, make sure you get something that allows re-holstering, which is essentially none of the leather IWB holsters I've tried in the last -- oh, thirty some years. (I believe some do have metal reinforcement around the opening and that would probably do the job. Extra thicknesses of leather are not adequate.) Otherwise, if you have your belt tight enough to hold your rig in place securely, as soon as you draw, the holster collapses and now you have a gun in your hand you have no way to get rid of.

My K&D Holsters leather stays wide open after the gun is drawn. No if and or buts about it. And since I wear a strong, double layer leather belt, I do not have to reef on it to hold my gun (usually a 4" K frame revolver) and my pants up.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/P1010021-1.jpg