PDA

View Full Version : XM193F?

cathellsk
01-24-09, 21:34
Local store got this in the other day. Brown boxes, 55gr. of course, marked XM193F. How many versions of this is there going to be? I've got C (and B I believe) in my stash.

markm
01-26-09, 08:15
How many versions of this is there going to be? I've got C (and B I believe) in my stash.

I'd guess that Z will be the last version. :eek:

cathellsk
01-26-09, 09:22
I'd guess that Z will be the last version. :eek:

:) No kiddin'! I checked what I had, its a mix of XM193 in brown box and XM193C in black box. This new F is just like the XM193 and I can't see a difference at all.

ROADKING
03-06-09, 23:36
So is it anygood.

bkb0000
03-06-09, 23:48
So is it anygood.

you're not easy to convince, are you? xm193 is good ammo- period.

Iraqgunz
03-07-09, 02:36
He's just making sure. Just in case we are all wrong. Irony would be that he finally decides to make the purchase and then it's all gone.

you're not easy to convince, are you? xm193 is good ammo- period.

markm
03-07-09, 09:04
So is it anygood.

You really should go post on ARFcom.

Iraqgunz
03-07-09, 12:00
RK,

I would stay away from it. You may want to take a look at Ultramax remanufactured .223 ammo.

So is it anygood.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-07-09, 12:44
Everyone else says its great, but I'll go ahead and rock the boat.

XM193 produced in the last few years has been a pretty subpar product, IMHO. I've had primer issues in several guns, all 5.56 spec that had ate previous lots of XM193 for breakfast and asked for seconds (including one 6920). Blown primers were downright common in my batch of XM193C ( Headstamp Marked LC 07) I purchased a year ago. About 10 in a batch of 1200 rounds. That's too much for me. It's probably not a statistically significant sample size, but I don't feel like taking a gamble.

Strangely enough, I've also encountered popped primers with one other ammo. Federal's AR 55gr FMJ .223 loading. To me, this indicates a trend in Federal towards poor QC concerning their primers. I remember older batches of XM193 and AE .223 from 2004-2005 went through everything without a hiccup to speak of, but in the last few years, my experience with Federal's .223 and 5.56 offerings has not been ideal. I will stick with foreign made ammo, preferably PPU's M193 for now.

Shihan
03-07-09, 14:26
RK,

I would stay away from it. You may want to take a look at Ultramax remanufactured .223 ammo.

I spit up my Coke.

markm
03-07-09, 19:52
Strangely enough, I've also encountered popped primers with one other ammo. Federal's AR 55gr FMJ .223 loading. To me, this indicates a trend in Federal towards poor QC concerning their primers.

To me, this indicates a weapon issue. :confused:

BushmasterFanBoy
03-07-09, 20:26
To me, this indicates a weapon issue. :confused:

It would, if the same weapon hadn't run a plethora of ammo (previous XM193 lots, Guat M193, Privi M193, IMI .223, UMC .223) without a failure to be spoken of. Not to mention the same ammo resulted in popped primers in another rifle altogether. I'm not saying that all of Federal's stuff is bad, but my observations of their recent ammo lots have made me skeptical enough to keep me from trusting my life to it.

Heavy Metal
03-07-09, 21:39
Jefe, what is a plethora?:D

BushmasterFanBoy
03-08-09, 11:28
Jefe, what is a plethora?:D

You're just lucky I didn't use the word 'flawless'. ;)

markm
03-09-09, 08:17
Interesting. I've never heard of an incident of Federal .223 ammo popping a primer before.

sl4mdaddy
03-09-09, 12:03
So is it anygood.

Only if you have M4 feed ramps.

Shihan
03-09-09, 20:29
Only if you have M4 feed ramps.

I hope that is a joke,

markm
03-10-09, 08:08
Due to whom he is replying to, I'm sure it is.

sl4mdaddy
03-10-09, 09:28
It was, indeed.

sproc
03-10-09, 19:51
RK,

I believe that, too, was a joke. I apologize if I'm ruining the fun, but I would hate for a well-behaved newbie to use the search function as he's supposed to and end up reading this page and getting the idea that Ultramax is better than XM193.

Iraqgunz
03-11-09, 03:21
Yes, it was a joke. Because the question has been answered and we keep beating this dead equine. He will probably end up buying something completely different anyways and then asking our opinion about it.

I believe that, too, was a joke. I apologize if I'm ruining the fun, but I would hate for a well-behaved newbie to use the search function as he's supposed to and end up reading this page and getting the idea that Ultramax is better than XM193.

oldsmoboat
03-13-11, 16:28
Well I am n00b and I have no idea WTF is going on in this thread.
Is it any good or not? Worth $6 a box? Should I stock up?
I've fired about 100 rounds of it through my M4 without a hiccup.

christcorp
03-13-11, 16:53

Good ammo is ANYTHING that your weapon will shoot reliably; dependably; and accurately. It's as simple as that. I consider Corbon ammo to be good for pistols, but I know first hand some pistols that WILL NOT shoot it. Does that make Corbon "Bad"? No; just not appropriate for those particular guns. I can also give you accounts of many guns that have had problems with various ammo manufacturers. Each weapon is unique. Once you learn that, you'll realize that there is no such thing as 100% good or 100% bad ammo. it's all about if it works well in your weapon. Simply put: There is not 1 brand, manufacturer, type, etc... of ammo that's ever functioned 100% reliably in every single weapon on the planet. There will always be someone that says they hate it for whatever reason. Just like there is no ammo that has failed in 100% of all weapons.

The thing is for you to try them for yourself. If you like what they do, and your weapon is happy, then buy them. It doesn't matter what anyone else says. It's not their weapon. They don't know how it works. This is very common among the Steel vs Brass crowd. There are a "Plethora" of individuals who have shot thousands and thousands or steel case ammo in their weapons and have never had a problem. And there are those who's weapon isn't as cooperative, and they've had issues.

You've already said that you've shot 100 rounds of it without a glitch. So; what's your question? You've already answered it for yourself. Only you can decide if it's good enough for you and your weapon. Anyone else's opinion; whether pro or con; is wrong. It's simply their personal opinion. Your weapon shoots 193 fine; then it must be fine. Nothing more to worry about.

Thomas M-4
03-13-11, 17:02

Its good but here is the kicker. The brass has not been polished at all and most people are not used to seeing this also it has a black like tar water proofing every where also you can see the annealing that turns to a green patina { They immediately come on the forums posting that its rejects which is FALSE}. Most people after opening a box shit them selves because they are used to seeing commercial ammo that is nice bright and shiny none of which is XM Its loaded to 5.56 pressure so you have to have the correct chamber to reliably run it if not you will have popped primers.
The powder is clean burning and the accuracy for ''military ammo'' is good. I use it almost exclusively I have had no problems with XM193 or XM885.

oldsmoboat
03-13-11, 17:07
Thanks for the useful info. :thumbsup:

GunnutAF
03-13-11, 22:31
I do believe they had a recall on '07 certain lots! As for XM193F I have some in Lot SMQ10H302S600 and it been perfect! Very consistant and accurate out of my guns!:D