PDA

View Full Version : Queston for Travis on the BAD

Lawdog537
01-24-09, 22:43
Travis,

I was reading the thread on arf.com about the BAD and noticed you answered a guys question about left hand usage. You stated the BAD would work with a KAC ambi mag release. Will it also work with the Norgon ambi mag release? Also, if the BAD is going to go into production and will be able to be used by lefties, then THANKS! THANKS for thinking of us ! I have never been too excited to get an ambi mag release, but after watching you handle the BAD on your DVD, I am really taking another look at an ambi mag release and BAD if it can be used by a lefty.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

Lawdog537
03-09-09, 16:49
Just want to bump this as I am still hoping for an answer

Loner
03-13-09, 11:37
I was wondering the same thing how us leftys can benefit from the bad.

Eric Torres
04-23-09, 10:42
Lawdog and lefties,
The BADs Magpul is making are supposed to be fully ambi. I recently installed a Norgon on my new AMBI gun with a BAD.
When the bolt locks to the rear the BAD's left side, near the magazine release, is down and against the receiver. When I depress the magazine release I press on the front and side of the BAD also. Since its already in it has no effect and the Norgon lets go of my magazine.
Even during a tac reload its not an issue. As my left trigger finger depresses the Norgon it momentarily presses the BAD down. When I take my finger off, the bolt release spring and plunger return the BAD back out/up.
I'm not a lefty but I shoot that way plenty.

Agile53
04-23-09, 10:49
Thx. Eric, good news for us Satan handers as Rob referred to us yesterday.
Any guestimate on an ETA?
Agile53

ETA > curious if this would
work w/ my BFG Redi-Mod

Eric Torres
04-24-09, 00:33
I have a BAD on all my AR rifles. I have one rifle with a redimag V1 that I personally lightened and nearly skeletonized (my preferred version and the reason I don't use theirs) . It (the BAD) works great.

Derek_Connor
04-24-09, 07:11
Thx. Eric, good news for us Satan handers as Rob referred to us yesterday.
Any guestimate on an ETA?
Agile53

ETA > curious if this would
work w/ my BFG Redi-Mod

Yes. The BAD DOES work with the BFG version.

One thing I found out a couple of weeks ago that Ive never seen or noticed before with the BFG + BAD is in the EXTREME situation that one would need to do a reload on their primary from the support side (thats my left side).

The way the BFG lever, and the OEM mag release sit inline with each other, then the ability to drop the BCG on a full mag w/the bad, does severely decrease the bumble factor.

Eric Torres
04-24-09, 11:31
The redimag version with the lever for its mag release requires an additional complex motor skill on a right handed speed reload. It also complicates the complex motor skill of a tactical reload from the readimag into the weapons mag well or from your mag pouch directly into the weapon (except in the last case for leftys the tac reload is the same). For me it seems complicated to try to maintain proficiency on a speed reload on my reaction side, with a redimag but particularly with a gen II redimag. I would be faster changing back to my right side and doing the readimag speed reload.

Derek, do you mean the BAD sits in line with the mag release? Are you talking an ambi mag release on a weapon without a readimag or on the right side of the weapon?

rob_s
04-24-09, 11:53
Thanks for reminding me, I have a GenI Redimag that I need to get to chopping on...

Eric Torres
04-24-09, 12:18
Rob,
You can cut off quite a bit. You need to decide if you are going to lighten or go for the complete skeletonizing though. If you lighten it like BFG its still strong. If you fully skeletonize it makes the redimag a bit weaker. I tried to skeletonize it as much as reasonably possible while still covering the cartridges in the mag.

Be careful with your top of the rectangular cut on the left face of the redimag. It is not a rectangle if you make the cut out as big as you can (skeletonized). It would start high on the right side and lower on the left side of the top horizontal cut. If you are making the largest lightening window possible and you go straight across you will have some of the left side of your cartridges in the mag and the feed lip a little exposed.

rob_s
04-24-09, 12:52
Thanks Eric. I have two of the BFG versions and was going to start there as a guide for what to cut.

Lawdog537
04-28-09, 09:20
Eric,

Thanks for the info......I stopped checking this thread on a regular basis, and just noticed your post. Thanks Again!!!!!

The Archangel
07-30-09, 18:47

Eric Torres
08-01-09, 11:20
I'm spending a last couple of days with my family before my upcoming deployment also. I'm also waiting for the first batch of new, production BADs for me and some of my team mates.
Full production BADs are imminently coming.

rob_s
08-01-09, 11:24
Eric! Good to see you posting again! Be safe wherever you're going man.

SeriousStudent
08-01-09, 12:21
Eric! Good to see you posting again! Be safe wherever you're going man.

Indeed, prayers sent for a safe deployment, and a speedy return home for you and your teammates. Bless you all for working to keep us safe from those who would harm our families.